IGNORED

Coming Out

Eco

It's not my place to say. Although I must admit I'm tempted. It's not my place to 'out' anyone. Let him live carry on living with his lies, if it's his secret and he wants to keep it that way then let him.

Time to lock this thread me thinks. What a moron you are.

• Admin

Phantom! You know full well that I do not support a basement football team! I do however support a ( temporarily) basement cricket team! Iv always been out about it. Theirs nothing in my closet! Ps defeat by 10 wickets last time you met the basement team wasn't it?

I meant your choice in cricket team, That last game didn't count

How many of you 'die hard fans' who are calling me a sag were at the Gillingham game at the strat of the season? Not many cos the place was ******* empty but I was there. How many on here didn't walk out early on Saturday? I didn't. I saw the goal. How many people have attended every game at home and watched every single minute of footbal? Take a look at yourself before taking a pop at me. *****s.

Wow, we have this weeks SUPERFAN !

Being able to afford all of that, it means you live with mummy and daddy and are on your school lunch break at the moment?

Back on topic...a lot of fans saying 'dont care about sexuality , gender, race, religion etc etc as long as they put effort in in a red shirt ' ....wonder how many hated LJ because of who his dad was ...

I don't think many fans "hated" Lee Johnson to be honest. But there may have been a few who, rightly or wrongly, felt he didn't have to earn his place quite as much as one or two others in the squad. Nothing to do with hate. Don't want to go down that road again though!!

Immense knowledge? If its anything like your knowledge of football.....

He got one 50 in his 8 ODI's. Kieswetter is the type of player you need in ODI's. high strike rate and versatile down the order.

Davies isn't a patch on Prior in the test arena.

He's got a reasonable record I'm FC cricket, perfectly adequate back up. Not international class at all.

Kieswetter - a strike rate of 120 and an average of 5. Wherever he plays in the order and no matter how many chances he gets. Ok I exaggerate a bit but If Davies had had the number of chances Kieswetter has had, then I suspect he could have nailed down a place. Buttler on the other hand I think is the real deal (and this comes from Glos fan)

And for the sake of argument De Villiers is a better batsmen / wicketkeeper than Prior, as good as he is.

PS Bravo to the basketball coming out chap

I heard a rumour Marv is the player in question and Pearcy is his lover ;)

Pearcy's Gay

He's bent

His ass is up for rent

Whoops, bad old days before political correctness. I remember this song being sung nearly every week, I wonder if the fans were right about any of the people they were singing about. They certainly were about an ex Watford chairman.

I meant your choice in cricket team, That last game didn't count

Wow, we have this weeks SUPERFAN !

Being able to afford all of that, it means you live with mummy and daddy and are on your school lunch break at the moment?

Mate I'm 29, live on my own and have a well paid job. I don't claim to be a superfan but I'm not getting accused of being a sag when I've attended more games then the majority of people who are accusing me of not being a City fan.

Interesting discussion on 5 Live re. sports people coming out following the NBA guy's admission and how it could be more of an issue in footy, due to abuse by crowds, rather than most other sports.

How would our fans react if one of our players admitted they were gay ?

I work with a gay guy an it's not ever an issue..apart from when we're drunk an open up, or whatever.

Don't know really, bit weird as it's not my thing but should think the mob-mentality would be an issue in football regarding sexuality.

Too much information, where's my bucket.

ha ha - nah, it's probably a statement that I have to be drunk to discuss that sort of thing, a lack of inhibitions promotes the discussion of personal issues across the board amongst blokes anyway.

Me like tits not willy' just to be sure ;)

• Admin

Mate I'm 29, live on my own and have a well paid job. I don't claim to be a superfan but I'm not getting accused of being a sag when I've attended more games then the majority of people who are accusing me of not being a City fan.

Fair enough

I see no point whatsoever than either self-gain (financially) or an ego trip to 'out' yourself.

Back to the very OP, that is why I personally can't see all the fuss over this guy.

May sound obscure but I bet the way the support has come flooding from all around the world, may actually benefir his career?

My reaction was "so what!", couldn't care less what goes on his personal life

I see no point whatsoever than either self-gain (financially) or an ego trip to 'out' yourself.

It's about equality, mate. If gay men were comfortable about being in football, then it would not be an area of secrecy. After all, many straight football players flaunt their sexuality in various ways. If gay men were able to disclose their sexuality within football and show that they are accepted, then maybe the culture would shift and more gay men would be encouraged into believing that they could become a professional footballer.

I have never ever in my life heard the concept of coming out as a gay person as an ego trip. Coming out is often an astonishingly brave act (Gareth Thomas being a great example) and conversations I have had with friends about coming out have only emphasised what a courageous act it usually is.

• Admin

If gay men were comfortable about being in football, then it would not be an area of secrecy.

Is it REALLY that important that a fan knows?

I wouldn't be surprised that colleagues of people already know, but I don't understand the need to go public?

I couldn't tell you, and wouldn't care which of our team as an example are single/ have a partner / married etc

Coming out is often an astonishingly brave act (Gareth Thomas being a great example)

The shame about GT was that he waited until his career was over before 'coming out'

I guess I am agreeing with you, in the sense that it shouldn't matter, and people shouldn't really be interested

The shame about GT was that he waited until his career was over before 'coming out'

I guess I am agreeing with you, in the sense that it shouldn't matter, and people shouldn't really be interested

Actually, Gareth Thomas played nearly 2 seasons of Rugby League as an openly gay man and never (to my knowledge) got any significant abuse from the terraces

I have a mate who knows a now former Premier League player, now of the Championship who's gay. While at the PL club he wasn't open about it in the changing room because he's pretty sure he would have been ostracised by his team mates. It shouldn't matter whether a player is gay or straight but unfortunately it does and to an extent, for a player to come out in the prime of his career to try and break the mould would probably ruin that players career. It might make it better for those who come later, but should someone have to jeopardise their career for the sake of narrow-minded biggots? This is perfectly demonstrated by how quickly a minority on here started making gay jokes about other posters. As in the real world, they'll mo doubt hide behind the shield of 'political correctness gone mad' or 'it's banter'

PS Jonny Bairstow is the heir-apparent to Matt Prior at test level IMO; better technique at the longer form of the game than Kieswetter (who doesn't have the temperament for it) and better with the gloves than Buttler. Davies had (still has?) a lot of potential but hasn't progressed in recent seasons.

Actually, Gareth Thomas played nearly 2 seasons of Rugby League as an openly gay man and never (to my knowledge) got any significant abuse from the terraces

I have a mate who knows a now former Premier League player, now of the Championship who's gay. While at the PL club he wasn't open about it in the changing room because he's pretty sure he would have been ostracised by his team mates. It shouldn't matter whether a player is gay or straight but unfortunately it does and to an extent, for a player to come out in the prime of his career to try and break the mould would probably ruin that players career. It might make it better for those who come later, but should someone have to jeopardise their career for the sake of narrow-minded biggots? This is perfectly demonstrated by how quickly a minority on here started making gay jokes about other posters. As in the real world, they'll mo doubt hide behind the shield of 'political correctness gone mad' or 'it's banter'

PS Jonny Bairstow is the heir-apparent to Matt Prior at test level IMO; better technique at the longer form of the game than Kieswetter (who doesn't have the temperament for it) and better with the gloves than Buttler. Davies had (still has?) a lot of potential but hasn't progressed in recent seasons.

Just to say he did get abuse from Castleford fans I think, and the authorities fined Castleford.

Just to say he did get abuse from Castleford fans I think, and the authorities fined Castleford.

As soon as I posted that I thought "he's bound to of got abused at Cas or Hull...". Still, at least his team mates and opposition players didn't make the kind of comments we've seen coming out of the NBA in the last few days, though having previously played Rugby League that does surprise me a little...

As far as a Gay football player - who cares.

Hes a footballer who happens to be gay - not a homosexual who plays football.

There is a massive difference.

There are millions of people in the world who 'stand-up' for gay rights in various Mardi-Gras etc.

Here in Oz gay couples are quite open, and I can't think of any issue being taken by it, except from the odd loony Muslim (The Camels,cloud and 72 virgins type)

There is no need to make an issue of it, because quite frankly it's 2013 and no-one cares.

Any comments from the crowd would be nothing compared to what was said by an unaccepting Parent or sibling, I would imagine?

I suppose you could look at it from a less cynical point of view and say in some cases, knowing the stigma that is undoubtedly still attached to 'coming out' these men and women who are in the spotlight might want to act as a role model for acceptance?

I have several homosexual friends, some took longer than others to come out and some still find their sexuality uncomfortable and embarrassing at times. The more high profile people 'come out' the more homosexuality becomes normal and accepted as opposed to the stigmatisation that exists, though in much smaller doses, still.

It doesn't bother me either way whether anyone is gay, straight, bi or a-sexual, but this kind of stuff can be a help to someone experiencing the traumatic experience of accepting their sexuality or telling a potentially hostile parent/friend etc.

Just another way of looking at it as opposed to assuming financial gain is the only motivation.

I couldn't care less.

The sooner people are happier & more relaxed to be able to admit their sexuality the better.

There's far more pressing issues in this f u cked up world than where a man puts his penis, it's 2013 I'd like to think that in 10 years time this conversation will be laughed at.

I totally agree. I find my own awkwardness surrounding the issue, a bit, well, awkward. Let's all chill out.

Archived