IGNORED

2 May 1990

How many on here had the joy of going to Twerton?

I had gone to Bolton the previous weekend, and was in Bristol for the Walsall game, pitch invasions and all, but didn't have a ticket for this one.

Remember being out in Redland, and having to nip to the car frequently to track the misery on the radio.

Match was a blur. Showed city fans at their worst. Loads of snide tickets about designer shops in town before game targeted by lifting gangs and after house windows smashed and cars turned over. Bullying of the worst kind really. Not the fault of the locals the gas were there.

Went to the bolton game but couldnt make the trumpton one, couldnt bear to listen on the radio so went into the garden

only to be greeted by both nieghbours radios blasting it out from their gardens,

To add insult to injury Blackthorne cider ran a huge add campaign with a pic of the top of the table with the title

"Definately a dry blackthorne day"......Bar Stewards

I was there, bad night for lots of reason but the performance and result has never been recitified against the sags and wont be until we beat them in a cup final or beat them to promotion or a title. It was basically a cup final that had the league title as a prize and we never showed up.

One memory is Robbie Turner telling the fans to invade the pitch to try and get the game called off.

I was there, bad night for lots of reason but the performance and result has never been recitified against the sags and wont be until we beat them in a cup final or beat them to promotion or a title. It was basically a cup final that had the league title as a prize and we never showed up.

One memory is Robbie Turner telling the fans to invade the pitch to try and get the game called off.

Really? I was there that night as a young 'un and that's the first I've ever heard of this in the 23 intervening years. Absolutely appalling behaviour if true.

I do remember the City fans smashing up the advertising boards and Joe Jordan spending the best part of the second half stood in front of the City fans trying to get them to calm down.

Edit: I seem to recall Ian Holloway (or maybe David Mehew?) recounting that the City players were in town earlier that season in the same nightclub as some Rovers players and they were flashing the cash and generally taking the pi*s about their wealth compared to the Rovers lads. That memory was part of the inspiration for the Rovers to turn you over that night and also part of the reason that Holloway made the now (in)famous comments about the 'Sh*theads' on the celebration parade after we won the title that many City fans still use as the reason to hate Holloway.

Agreed with all above.

We were due to play the slagheads at Trumpton a couple of months earlier, when we were on fire and Sir Bob was scoring for fun.

The crappy pitch at Trumpton was supposedly unplayable then (usual slag tactics).

By the time May came round we had lost Sir Bob for the rest of the season, and had struggled in front of goal since.

Plus we were not very good that day either. We always made Devon Shite look much better than he actually was !

Really? I was there that night as a young 'un and that's the first I've ever heard of this in the 23 intervening years. Absolutely appalling behaviour if true.

I do remember the City fans smashing up the advertising boards and Joe Jordan spending the best part of the second half stood in front of the City fans trying to get them to calm down.

Yep, as a lad of 15 I was down the front and he was stood by the near post for a corner and was saying get on the pitch and waving his hand.

I hated trumpton and still do now, think I only saw us win there twice and the sags beat us alot back then, even now I get sags emailing me on the 2nd of May to remind me (as has happened today).

Got lots to throw back at them but nothing like beating your rivals to a title.

Edit: I seem to recall Ian Holloway (or maybe David Mehew?) recounting that the City players were in town earlier that season in the same nightclub as some Rovers players and they were flashing the cash and generally taking the pi*s about their wealth compared to the Rovers lads. That memory was part of the inspiration for the Rovers to turn you over that night and also part of the reason that Holloway made the now (in)famous comments about the 'Sh*theads' on the celebration parade after we won the title that many City fans still use as the reason to hate Holloway.

I know Boris, he's only got good things to say about the City players from around that era - it sounds like they were one big drinking gang at times, so I'm sure he didn't say this. As for Holloway.....!

Was it really 23 years ago? Where has the time gone! My lord, did we take some shit off the local G*sheads for ages over this!

As much as I'd never want it to happen again, unless we finished 1st this time around, it was great seeing the two names up the top all season

Would have hated to be alive for that game, thank god I wasn't!
But still, I've seen the video of the game on youtube, fans were terrible, we didn't look like we showed up and Rovers were well up for it and deserved their win.

Overall we have had the last laugh since that game, winning majority of the derby matches and finishing above them every year apart from 92, 96 and 00. I'd still rather that, than a then division 3 title.
Sometimes you just have to accept things don't always go your way and that's what makes derbies so great.... though on this occasion it was a nightmare.

I was there. Couldn't get a ticket but watched it looking over the wall behind the away end.

One of my worst memories ever.......walking back to the car and having to listen to them singing goodnight ****ing Irene every step of the way!

I was at the game with a couple of mates, one of whom had bought one of the already mentioned snide tickets (there were loads about) for a couple of quid IIRC. The other mate and myself had proper tickets. There were poice cordons all around the away end checking tickets, we all got through the first one where the oldd bill were checking the perforations, I think. At the second one, my friend with the snide ticket was suddenly dragged away by the local plod. It turned out he had only bought the original ticket which was copied from some bloke in a pub!

Awful night, awful game and to make matters worse, I was iving in Kingswood at the time and had to face loads of gloating sags in the local pubs.

To make matters worse, the following Saturday at the Walsall game, a rumour went round the gate like wild fire that the sags were losing to Blackpool making us Champions. I, like many others, fell for it. Whoops!!

Remember it well.

My god that was a terrible night. We'd led the table virtually all season then Taylor got himself injured with about half a dozen games to go. We didn't actually lose the title that night but we had to stand there and watch Rovers get promoted and listen to those ***** singing "we're going up with the county". I remember thinking that they might be right, but thankfully it was all short lived as the following night when Notts County failed to win and we were promoted ourselves.

That could have been a very bad summer if we'd missed out altogether. Turned out not too bad in the end, World Cup Semi final, World in Motion number 1, You've got hold and give but do it at the right time ..........

That was probably one of the lowest I have ever felt as a City supporter. Both myself and my old man felt stunned by the display and the result.

One thing that sticks in mind was how sporting the Sags were as we made our way back to the motor. Lots of comments of 'never mind, you'll be promoted as well". I never found them to be sporting before and I've never found them to be anything less than downright nasty to City fans since, but that night some of them took pity and it wasn't in a gloating type of way.

Was there and worst night ever...was in the riovers end behind the goal and stood on fence and when Holloway scores pen on YouTube you can see everyone going mad apart from me and two mates. To add insult to injury left early and was surrounded by City fans saying get the Gas. Luckily had my good old enclosure membership card and a lad in the crowd I knew who saved me from a hiding.

Mates were all Gas from Keynsham and luckily spared the gloating on the night as they were chased all over Bath. Bad Bad night!!

Not quite true; don't forget the second part about us effectively ending their hopes of staying up in Division One (as was) three seasons later by beating them

2-1 at AG. Was watching the highlights of that one on YouTube a few days back - it was so sweet that even Mark Lawrenson's commentary failed to grate.

Nicky Morgan! :laugh:

The Gas have been in the wilderness ever since -- never been back to the second tier. Agree up to a point that doesn't 100% compensate for losing the title to them but look at it this way, bragging rights aside (not saying that's inconsequential, incidentally) what more did they get from winning the championship? We of course went up too, stayed up longer than them as previously mentioned and have been back there twice since. Titles are only truly valuable at the top level.

Similarly the LDV victory. Cup shocks have been a common occurrence throughout football history and doesn't necessarily speak to the comparitive quality of the two teams. Yes, they won the last competitive Bristol derby but that has a lot to do with the fact that they've been so abject that we haven't had the opportunity to do anything about it for a long time (this must be the longest there's ever been without a league Bristol derby, no?)

Frankly, I can live with that state of affairs...

Not quite true; don't forget the second part about us effectively ending their hopes of staying up in Division One (as was) three seasons later by beating them

2-1 at AG. Was watching the highlights of that one on YouTube a few days back - it was so sweet that even Mark Lawrenson's commentary failed to grate.

Nicky Morgan! :laugh:

The Gas have been in the wilderness ever since -- never been back to the second tier. Agree up to a point that doesn't 100% compensate for losing the title to them but look at it this way, bragging rights aside (not saying that's inconsequential, incidentally) what more did they get from winning the championship? We of course went up too, stayed up longer than them as previously mentioned and have been back there twice since. Titles are only truly valuable at the top level.

Similarly the LDV victory. Cup shocks have been a common occurrence throughout football history and doesn't necessarily speak to the comparitive quality of the two teams. Yes, they won the last competitive Bristol derby but that has a lot to do with the fact that they've been so abject that we haven't had the opportunity to do anything about it for a long time (this must be the longest there's ever been without a league Bristol derby, no?)

Frankly, I can live with that state of affairs...

Not watched the 2-1 game for a long time: just gave it a quick look: not noticed it before, but after Alexander handles on the line (with the ball not hitting his face) it looks like Kelly says something to him straight away, Alexander then goes down clutching his face and the keeper clearly remonstrates with the ref that the ball hit Alexander in the gob. Looks like Kelly told him to drop like a sack of spuds.

Recall watching that from the Grandstand with my dad (who was a gashead): poor old dad got stacks of abuse at the end, though he wasn't helping himself by arguing with someone near him, on the lines of "you cheated to that win". I left him to it.

I was a kid, had just turned 14, and hadn't really gone to many games. However, the week before I won two tickets for the match on Radio Bristol.

Now, my dad (who isn't a big football fan) wasn't keen to take me - mainly because he was worried about potential trouble. And not being able to go on my own, I stuck the tickets up for sale. Managed to make a tidy sum on them by selling them to a gashead in Kingswood.

The funny thing was, the following week I entered another competition on Radio Bristol - this time I won a VHS copy of the full match, as filmed by the club. Obviously, I never watched it. I probably should have sold that, too...

Worst night of my footballing night, bar none.

I always try to look at the result as one would a cup match where some shit, but plucky, amateur team gets a result against Man United and they feed off it for years to come.

I much preferred the 2nd May 2001. Poetic justice.

Liam Smart think you might need to check with the records if you think you have beaten us most derby games since that 3-0 beating at Twerton. Havent checked but I can remember many times in the 90s when we beat you.Admittedly you did win some too but I don't think your record has been great against us since about 1970. Before then we were horrendous for all of the 60s.

Went to the bolton game but couldnt make the trumpton one, couldnt bear to listen on the radio so went into the garden

only to be greeted by both nieghbours radios blasting it out from their gardens,

To add insult to injury Blackthorne cider ran a huge add campaign with a pic of the top of the table with the title

"Definately a dry blackthorne day"......Bar Stewards

I was at that Bolton game! And also away to Notts County, Wigan and Leyton Orient that season. Back then, Wigan still played at that shitty old ground with the grass bank for a terrace. They played the Corrie theme over the tannoy before kick-off and we won 3-2. The Leyton Orient game was notable for the fact that our coach driver got lost and we didn't get there till half-time. Doh!

Liam Smart think you might need to check with the records if you think you have beaten us most derby games since that 3-0 beating at Twerton. Havent checked but I can remember many times in the 90s when we beat you.Admittedly you did win some too but I don't think your record has been great against us since about 1970. Before then we were horrendous for all of the 60s.

Talking rubbish Friendlygas.

As YOU brought it up the official win tally from competitive matches since 2/5/1990 is:

Bristol City - 11 Wins

Bristol Rovers - 7 Wins

That includes League Cup and JPT. The Official figures from the time you joined the League 20 years after us is:

Bristol City - 43 Wins

Bristol Rovers - 29 Wins

Some of you Gasheads like to quote the win ratio from 1982 because I believe that gives you one more win than us but tbh that's typical clutching of straws from fans who can't use official league figures, but then, a lot of you do have a habit making stuff up to suit your own agendas.

2/5/1990 was your moment of glory, however I would not give up City's undeniable superiority since that night in exchange for one win 23 years ago.

I was in the enclosure by myself (got ticket off a gash sponser).

They knew who I was and when the second went in they started shoving me and deliberately standing on my feet. Enough of this ,I thought, and belted a couple and promptly got chucked out (fair enough) .Got to the car in Freeview Road just as the third went in.

Got back home, turned on the radio dreading the final score. It was almost a relief that it was still only three. NOT a great day, but THAT date was rectified later when they lost to Wycombe !!

No not really, we've beaten you more and we've finished above you every year other than 92, 96 and 2000, in the late 80's you dominated and every City fan knows that but in the early 90's it got even, late 90's we dominated and near enough have ever since in terms of league stature and everything!

Here you go MR Gas, Dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

Bristol City Wins - 11

Draws - 5

Bristol Rovers - 7

2006/2007
Football League Trop Tu 27Feb 2007 Bristol R 1 - 0 Bristol C
Football League Trop We 21Feb 2007 Bristol C 0 - 0 Bristol R
2001/2002
Football League Trop We 09Jan 2002 Bristol C 3 - 0 Bristol R
2000/2001
Football League Div 2 Tu 03Apr 2001 Bristol R 1 - 1 Bristol C
Football League Div 2 Fr 22Dec 2000 Bristol C 3 - 2 Bristol R
1999/2000