IGNORED

Looks Like Our Head Coach Wants To Keep Lewin !

glynriley

so its him and liam at the back again next season, it went so well this season I cant see a problem with it, yes I know they have let in the most goals in the entire football league but is that really enough reason to change the backline ? un*******believable :angry:

I think you're being a bit harsh, Glyn - you don't get to be a Wales B International unless you've got something about you.....

It's only Wales !!

Oh well , looks like it's just me who wants to see this squad cleared out then. Can't wait until August , Fonatine still under contract , Nyatanga re-signed and if some get their way Carey as well. So much for for bright new dawns.

I think we should keep Lewin.

He's been our best defender since SOD came in and is still at a good age. Just get rid of Fonts, Bates, Carey and Wilson if possible.

Fonts is under contract so might not be possible.

How do you like the look of this back 4 on the first day of next season

Foster , Nyatanga , Fontaine , Bryan.

It's only Wales !!

Oh well , looks like it's just me who wants to see this squad cleared out then. Can't wait until August , Fonatine still under contract , Nyatanga re-signed and if some get their way Carey as well. So much for for bright new dawns.

That went straight over your head!

Nyatanga has actually been alright since he's returned to the side and on that basis you can see why SO'D wants to keep him. Shit distribution though and SO'D would have his work cut out improving that aspect of Lewin's game.

I think we should keep Lewin.

He's been our best defender since SOD came in and is still at a good age. Just get rid of Fonts, Bates, Carey and Wilson if possible.

This.

I have never rated him but given his big improvement under SoD and the fact we will not be able to attract much better, he is probably worth keeping on reduced terms of course.

I'm not sure that "he has improved a lot under SOD" - the truth is that he has been our best central defender since Caulker departed (Amougou's cameo excepted) but spent the second half of the 2011-12 season out injured. For reasons only known to himself DMcI refused to select him this season prefering the dreadful unaffordable McManus and even Wilson at times!

For me he has hardly put a foot wrong since his reintroduction to the team but for reasons we are sure to hear again on this thread a lot of supporters continue to condemn him for poor performances more than two years ago and his inability or unwillingness to play cultured passes to our invisible midfield. Of all the defenders at the club he is probably the least culpable for our demise.

If he finds himself playing in League 1 next season he will be one of the best central defenders there - he has a wealth of experience at Championship level, a full international and is still young enough to get a lot better. I am sure that other clubs will see this and hence he will not need to accept the contract he is offered by Bristol City and can pursue a better career elsewhere - so those who decided years ago that he is not for us need not worry too much.

That went straight over your head!

Nyatanga has actually been alright since he's returned to the side and on that basis you can see why SO'D wants to keep him. Shit distribution though and SO'D would have his work cut out improving that aspect of Lewin's game.

You're right , it did. I'm just so annoyed that SOD wants to keep anyone he doesn't have to. So much for changing the culture of the club , it's a bit difficult if you keep all the same ******* players.

You're right , it did. I'm just so annoyed that SOD wants to keep anyone he doesn't have to. So much for changing the culture of the club , it's a bit difficult if you keep all the same ******* players.

It's hard though fella.

Surely we all want to see the likes of Foster, J Wilson, Killa, Pearson, Fontaine etc shipped out. Given the financial restraints and that they are under contract it seems stupid for SoD to tell them they are not needed right at this minute.

If we can't shift them then we will have players at the club who want to be here even less than they do already.

We just need to be patient and see what the summer brings.

He wont stay....and if he does, then that will prove what a joke the club is

Maybe you're right - there are dozens of better defenders than Lewin who are hungry to play for Bristol City for League 1 wages - but for some strange reason four managers have failed to sign any of them in six transfer windows by offering only good (or very good - see D Stewart) Championship wages.

It's hard though fella.

Surely we all want to see the likes of Foster, J Wilson, Killa, Pearson, Fontaine etc shipped out. Given the financial restraints and that they are under contract it seems stupid for SoD to tell them they are not needed right at this minute.

If we can't shift them then we will have players at the club who want to be here even less than they do already.

Agreed - the days of Bentley driving unwanted players watching from the Williams Stand are hopefully behind us

It's hard though fella.

I agree it's not an easy job , but SOD knew the score when he came (or should have). It looks like we've been preparing for L1 since he arrived so you'd hope he had some players in mind , not just doing the easy thing and re-signing the players who took us down.

Maybe you're right - there are dozens of better defenders than Lewin who are hungry to play for Bristol City for League 1 wages - but for some strange reason four managers have failed to sign any of them in six transfer windows by offering only good (or very good - see D Stewart) Championship wages.

Ask a few Peterborough fans what they thought of Lewin when he signed for them on loan in league 1.

He is shocking

I agree it's not an easy job , but SOD knew the score when he came (or should have). It looks like we've been preparing for L1 since he arrived so you'd hope he had some players in mind , not just doing the easy thing and re-signing the players who took us down.

I am pretty sure he won't.

Like you, I would be furious and feeling a lot more deflated than I already do if we just keep the same bunch and add one or two.

Realistically we will probably lose say, 9 or 10 of the OCC players and need to prepare for losing Albert, Baldock, Davies and possibly Greg. If SoD tells the players under contract right now we don't need them we could end up in an even bigger mess. If for example we don't recruit as well as we would like, or no clubs come in for them then we will be stuck with at least 10 players who know they are not the future of the club, so why would they pull in the same direction to try and get us back to the championship?

We just need to wait and see what happens I guess. I hope that more than most of the players under contract will go but I think it will be a slow process.

I think Killa (unfortunately) will be a big part of our midfield next season.

With regards to the likes of Pearson, Fontaine, Foster, J Wilson I would take any fee of 50k or over for any of them. Unfortunately I can't see any club offering a fee that big or a fee at all for Pearson or J Wilson. We might, just might get lucky with Fontaine due to his previously good reputation and perhaps our luck may change and there might be a scottish club thick enough to take a punt on Foster for 25k say?

Apart from that, I am not expecting them to be ushered out by the dozen when the transfer window opens.

It's only Wales !!

+1 and more surprises to come I am sure, the clear out is not going to be what some expect, but of course I am sure suddenly people will find an excuse to defend these decisions.

Archived