IGNORED

Looks Like Our Head Coach Wants To Keep Lewin !

glynriley

Fonts is under contract so might not be possible.

How do you like the look of this back 4 on the first day of next season

Foster , Nyatanga , Fontaine , Bryan.

Lets all panic, PANIC!!, you know that SOD is looking to bring in a right sided CB? I doubt very much we will see 3 of those players starting the 1st game of the season. Let the dust settle on a shocking season and wait and see who SOD brings in. ;)

Lets all panic, PANIC!!, you know that SOD is looking to bring in a right sided CB? I doubt very much we will see 3 of those players starting the 1st game of the season. Let the dust settle on a shocking season and wait and see who SOD brings in. ;)

Do you?

For all we know he may offer Carey a contract ,Wilson is right sided and under contact , he may think he can do a job at L1 level. He obviously thinks Nyatanga can.

Unless he know's for sure that Fontaine is off , I don't see the point in keeping Nyatanga. Fontaine could be back up CH and at least 2 should come in. We've got J. Wilson and Maloney who can also cover CB already under contract , this just seems like a waste of a squad place.

What happened to the file on his desk that is 6 inches thick with the names of players we coud sign?

Ask a few Peterborough fans what they thought of Lewin when he signed for them on loan in league 1.

He is shocking

Precisely my point

Poor for us in 2009-10 - shocking for Peterboro in 2010-11 - opinions were formed (my own included)

Better performances in 2011-12 and 2012-13 seemingly ignored by many - fortunately for you the market will place his overall career record and more recent performances above events of three years ago

Precisely my point

Poor for us in 2009-10 - shocking for Peterboro in 2010-11 - opinions were formed (my own included)

Better performances in 2011-12 and 2012-13 seemingly ignored by many - fortunately for you the market will place his overall career record and more recent performances above events of three years ago[/quote

Im amazed that there are people who feel any of our defenders are any good and have a future her after this season.

"Tangs' this season, has looked the best of a horrific bunch. Not exactly an achievement.

Its irrelevent anyway....he will not take a pay cut to stay here so goodbye and good riddance]

Do you?

For all we know he may offer Carey a contract ,Wilson is right sided and under contact , he may think he can do a job at L1 level. He obviously thinks Nyatanga can.

Unless he know's for sure that Fontaine is off , I don't see the point in keeping Nyatanga. Fontaine could be back up CH and at least 2 should come in. We've got J. Wilson and Maloney who can also cover CB already under contract , this just seems like a waste of a squad place.

What happened to the file on his desk that is 6 inches thick with the names of players we coud sign?

I wouldn't worry about it mate, the way some are bigging Nyatanga up and his international career, he will have a host of clubs from the championship after him and perhaps some from the prem, he'll never stay with us.

Yeah let's just throw money about and fix the problem! He isn't the greatest, but as a squad player he is decent - I think it would be hard to find another 24 years and under player of similar ability on the cheap. Plus we can't get rid of everyone immediately. I would be satisfied, not happy but satisfied, with Lewin and a new centre half as our pairing. At least Lewin has a bit of physicality about him and challenges in those scrapy bits of play in both boxes. In those situations Fontaine simply gets out muscled. He is the problem, not really Nyatanga he is decent enough.

Yeah let's just throw money about and fix the problem! He isn't the greatest, but as a squad player he is decent - I think it would be hard to find another 24 years and under player of similar ability on the cheap. Plus we can't get rid of everyone immediately. I would be satisfied, not happy but satisfied, with Lewin and a new centre half as our pairing. At least Lewin has a bit of physicality about him and challenges in those scrapy bits of play in both boxes. In those situations Fontaine simply gets out muscled. He is the problem, not really Nyatanga he is decent enough.

Forgive me but I thought everybody wanted a clear out, especially the players out of contract, but that appears not to be the case, so as another thread said 'clear out, what clear out'.

Forgive me but I thought everybody wanted a clear out, especially the players out of contract, but that appears not to be the case, so as another thread said 'clear out, what clear out'.

Yep , looks like there are pleny on here who are willing to forgive and forget the last few seasons. It doesn't look like a big enough clear out is forth coming , so we'll just have to wait until next summer I suppose.

Still , we can always start refering to them as gutless , reasonably paid , wasters.

Of the players he wants to keep I would say Stead and Skuse are definite non starters. Gerken will be a yes, Heaton and Nyatanga maybe's.

It's his team from next season and he probably has a good idea which contracted players are off as well so we've got to give the bloke a chance to build it and see where it gets us. One thing is for sure - he won't be taking the opinions of unqualified keyboard warriors on board.

He wont stay....and if he does, then that will prove what a joke the club is

Not entirely; lets assume he has been the best defender since coming back in. In the event that that is a fair analysis he might be worth keeping for League 1 and for possible bench warming duties. I would have thought that only Cunningham will be kept from the rest because if most of them are they might be OK for a mid table finish but little else.

Yep , looks like there are pleny on here who are willing to forgive and forget the last few seasons. It doesn't look like a big enough clear out is forth coming , so we'll just have to wait until next summer I suppose.

Still , we can always start refering to them as gutless , reasonably paid , wasters.

He didn't play much last season and this season when he came back he was the only one putting body on the line he also scored a couple of goals

Of the players he wants to keep I would say Stead and Skuse are definite non starters. Gerken will be a yes, Heaton and Nyatanga maybe's.

It's his team from next season and he probably has a good idea which contracted players are off as well so we've got to give the bloke a chance to build it and see where it gets us. One thing is for sure - he won't be taking the opinions of unqualified keyboard warriors on board.

of course not, but apparently retaining the core of a team that has failed for 4/5 years is going to be ok, the hypocrisy of some astounds me, leading up to our inevitable relegation the only saving grace/rallying call/grain of comfort, was an end of season clear out and cash in the meagre quality that we have got and start again, but apparently not.

I suspect that many season ticket holders who are undecided may well within the next month make up their minds, as the old song says 'there may be trouble ahead', BCFC fans are desperate for some good news and I am at loss at this moment in time to see whence that will come from.

Happy with that, young back line of

Maloney, Wilson/A N OTHER Nyatanga Cunningham

Sounds fine to me.

He is perfect for where we are in terms of age and ability, cannot see what all the fuss is about.

Wilson?

He has looked a different player since SOD came. If he wasn't always looking over his shoulder to see what Fonts was up to, he'd be an even bigger asset.

Exactly right. He plays like he's the defensive leader when Fontaine isn't there and that has improved his game. He's also bagged a couple of goals which always helps.

He didn't play much last season and this season when he came back he was the only one putting body on the line he also scored a couple of goals

So you're happy to keep him then Monk?

Despite you saying many times that the group of players that saw off Johnson , Millen and McInnes should all go. Check out your post on the SOD stops training post , you wanted all but 4 players to "**** off".

He may well have been one of the better performers under SOD , but that's not a ringing endorsment , nor a reason to keep him. We need fresh blood in the squad , not the same old underacheiving faces.

As tempting as a 'scorched earth' policy is, having a complete clear out and recruiting 20 new players ala the Barcagassers doesn't usually achieve more than further struggles. Nyatanga may be worth keeping should SO'D want to play 532/5411/352 etc as he shone under John Toshack as the left sided player in a 3CB formation for Wales. He is naturally left-sided and has age on his side, and although his distribution is woeful, so is Matty Hill's and Jamie McCombe's and they have been more than comfortable in League One this season.

As tempting as a 'scorched earth' policy is, having a complete clear out and recruiting 20 new players ala the Barcagassers doesn't usually achieve more than further struggles. Nyatanga may be worth keeping should SO'D want to play 532/5411/352 etc as he shone under John Toshack as the left sided player in a 3CB formation for Wales. He is naturally left-sided and has age on his side, and although his distribution is woeful, so is Matty Hill's and Jamie McCombe's and they have been more than comfortable in League One this season.

Good post, particularly regarding the 3 centre backs. SOD has gone to that a couple of times since he's been here so it's in his thinking and Lewin is decent in that position.

Lewin's main failure is his distribution, but if he's given simple options then that can be fixed.

The core in my mind being Skuse, Carey, Fontaine and Elliott.

Skuse and Carey (I would think) are leaving with the other two under contract (why were they given new contracts FFS). Other than pay them off, which should be done imo, SODs hands are tied but it'll be mighty disappointing if Fontaine and Elliott start the first game.

Such as a midfielder with the intelligence and responsibility to go back and take a short pass from the CB.

It aint rocket science is it.

Exactly, or movement from the full backs, triangles with the keeper, anything that manoeuvres the ball into a better position to mount an attack.

That sort of organisation has been missing for years though.

Good post, particularly regarding the 3 centre backs. SOD has gone to that a couple of times since he's been here so it's in his thinking and Lewin is decent in that position.

Lewin's main failure is his distribution, but if he's given simple options then that can be fixed.

I feel it's all about perception, with Fontaine still under contract people will feel same old same old at the back (a back 4 that was getting progressively worse conceding 7 goals in the last 2 games) and with his praise of Killkenny and vain hope of keeping Skuse same old same old in midfield, I don't see the clear out everybody wanted and predicted (including your good self) suddenly the 'ah but' or 'he's not really that bad' excuse's are already being trotted out, however if you check my posts on this matter, I did warn you all, I would love to know how many of these players are the same players who couldn't be arsed to train?.

I want SOD to be the one in the same way I wanted DMC to be the one, but I will not make excuses for decisions he makes that I personally don't agree with, so i'll sit back and eat the humble pie in a years time, I need to go on a diet.

I feel it's all about perception, with Fontaine still under contract people will feel same old same old at the back (a back 4 that was getting progressively worse conceding 7 goals in the last 2 games) and with his praise of Killkenny and vain hope of keeping Skuse same old same old in midfield, I don't see the clear out everybody wanted and predicted (including your good self) suddenly the 'ah but' or 'he's not really that bad' excuse's are already being trotted out, however if you check my posts on this matter, I did warn you all, I would love to know how many of these players are the same players who couldn't be arsed to train?.

I want SOD to be the one in the same way I wanted DMC to be the one, but I will not make excuses for decisions he makes that I personally don't agree with, so i'll sit back and eat the humble pie in a years time, I need to go on a diet.

This is what's worrying me.

What happened to all the posters on too many match threads calling for a clear out of the wasters , the players who don't care?

Where are all those claiming they want to see a new , fresh young vibrant side.

Did all those saying they could stomach relegation if it meant we could see the back of these players actually mean it?

Some of you lot are truly ******* clueless, we're not Barcelona, we're Bristol City - he's the only defender that can defend, who gives a shit if he hoofs it?

Sean O'Driscoll by all accounts.

As I said elsewhere, Nyatanga got beat to 2 easy headers on saturday, no desire/passion to win the ball. Just complete unawareness of where his opponent was.

Admittingly, it was too easy for the Charlton players to cross the ball but both Fontaine & Nyatanga are USELESS in the air.

Next season, we need 2 dominating CBKs and they don;t neccessarily have to be old, just look at the 2 young kids Yeovil have, Webster & Burn (on loan from Fulham...6ft 6 in and have desire to win the ball in BOTH boxes.

We REALLY are in trouble if, as it seems, we will have the majority of this seasons squad on the pitch next season.

I was hoping for a top 8 finish, with a little charge at the pray offs.......NO CHANCE with what we have now. :grr:

Some of you lot are truly ******* clueless, we're not Barcelona, we're Bristol City - he's the only defender that can defend, who gives a shit if he hoofs it?

and many many more are hypocrites, before this thread and SOD's insight into wanting to keep Nyatanga, how many of you actually publicly stated that you thought Nyatanga was good enough?, he was in just about everybody's list of good riddance in the months leading to our inevitable and humiliating relegation.

Archived