IGNORED

Heaton To Burnley....

PFree

Heaton was very comfortable handling the ball and a decent shot stopper. He's no giant so some of his more acrobatic saves might have looked routine for a taller keeper. But I really can't get too excited about losing a keeper who as part of a defence that was the most inept and leaky in the Club's history. Yes it might have been his back four and, likewise, the midfield may not have offered enough protection. The personnel weren't that different from previous times and, if anything, were strengthened with Maloney and Cunningham. He didn't dominate the box and the goals against tally raises questions such as whether Heaton lacked ability in organising the back four. Gerken probably isn't strong enough but when he was given the confidence to have a run in the side at the end of last season he had an inspired spell. I'd go as far and say he (along with Stead, Bikey and a couple of others) was one of the key players contributing to us staying up. He might be one of those keepers who needed confidence and backing and, aside from that run, he never had the opportunity. I vaguely recollect that he might be injured though and, if that's the case, then it's right to let him go.

Heaton was very comfortable handling the ball and a decent shot stopper. He's no giant so some of his more acrobatic saves might have looked routine for a taller keeper. But I really can't get too excited about losing a keeper who as part of a defence that was the most inept and leaky in the Club's history. Yes it might have been his back four and, likewise, the midfield may not have offered enough protection. The personnel weren't that different from previous times and, if anything, were strengthened with Maloney and Cunningham. He didn't dominate the box and the goals against tally raises questions such as whether Heaton lacked ability in organising the back four. Gerken probably isn't strong enough but when he was given the confidence to have a run in the side at the end of last season he had an inspired spell. I'd go as far and say he (along with Stead, Bikey and a couple of others) was one of the key players contributing to us staying up. He might be one of those keepers who needed confidence and backing and, aside from that run, he never had the opportunity. I vaguely recollect that he might be injured though and, if that's the case, then it's right to let him go.

Agree with you absolutely mate.

Dean dropped a few clangers but I'd play him over "Calamity" any day. We really messed up our Club with the James fiasco.

Agree with you absolutely mate.

Dean dropped a few clangers but I'd play him over "Calamity" any day. We really messed up our Club with the James fiasco.

not many complained at the time when we signed him.......good old hindsight

not many complained at the time when we signed him.......good old hindsight

Had my doubts ('Calamity" etc..) First few times I saw him play I thought it was a mistake. Spent his time b**locking the defence for his mistakes (and for not being Internationals)

You know who interferring again

I keep thinking back to when SOD said that he wasn't bringing in loan players unless they fitted the team, kinda liked him for that. In the situation with keepers I think he knew that Carey was too young and Deano wasn't up to it. Also now Heaton has gone I suspect SOD would have picked another 1st keeper over Deano if he stayed and there's only so many seasons that he would sit on the bench without starting. SOD is shrewed enough to realise the lay of the land and it won't suprise me that he comes up with someone decent between the sticks with a second stringer who they can bring along. It'll be a busy summer for SOD and his coaching staff but I'm pretty confident he'll come up with the goods.

Archived