IGNORED

Well Done Wigan, Were You Watching Mr. Lansdown

headhunter

....indeed, Burnley and Blackburn have both won top flight championships and were also original members of the football league.

Burnley are no great shakes

Blackburn on the other hand are much bigger than City will ever be...

....indeed, Burnley and Blackburn have both won top flight championships and were also original members of the football league.

Burnley are no great shakes

Blackburn on the other hand are much bigger than City will ever be...

Seriously.........

There were big clubs Pre-war and in the 50/60's as were Preston and Blackpool. But over the last 40 years have done relievetly nothing,

Blackburn have had 20 years of success on the back of Jack Walker but prior to that were also a nothing club and no better than us,

Blackburn aside maybe in recent years, none of the others are really any better than us. Apart from the odd flirt with the prem, have spent most of their time bouncing around between, Championship and league 1. The difference is in recent years they have all been managed off the field better than us.

People love Lansdown, I love what he's tried to do, but he's failed badly. VERY BADLY

I love the way Wigan, Swansea and Blackpool have achieved recent success on low budgets. Although it is rare and I think you require a certain amount of luck and risk taking on the way.

I would add west brom to that list as well. For me they all have one thing in common, and that is a direct vision from the board, which is exactly what we haven't had, we have allowed managers to continually have carte Blanche to do whatever the hell they want with regards to style of football and thus personnel, there has been no coherence and this continuity between managers.

The clubs that manage with relatively low budgets all have a philosophy, within which a manager must fit, at Swansea, you couldn't get them to take a manager like Pulis if you have them all the money in the world, because his philosophy of football is not compatable with how those at the top want the club to be run. The manager must fit the club and not the other way round which is why we've ended up with a squad that is largely of no use to SO'D because they are shit at football.

The board need to decide how they want us to play and run with it. As we have SOD it seems logical to go for a passing style but they have to stick with it, give the manager time (at least 3 years) to engraine this style of play throughout the club from top to bottom, then if we don't progress you can by all means change manager but it has to be a manager who embraces the same style of play and can instantly work with what he has, making the process of changing manager (be it through the decision of the club or manager) is evolution rather than constant revolution, which is what we've had these last 3/4 years, with lots of different managers players often very different in style, which leaves you with a redo illusory unbalanced squad which is what we have.

At half time I thought Wigan got a good chance here, they seemed up for it where as City were playing like all they had to do was turn up. So I chucked a couple of quid on Wigan and walked away with 50 smackers. Well chuffed.

I had a fiver on them at the semi stage when 5-1!

Whelan ........ Rich, Great businessman, genuine football man, club man & true fan.

Lansdown..... Rich, Great businessman, genuine true fan & club man, general sports fan.

Spot the difference.... Whelan - 'football man' .

Being rich is so important nowadays, but just being rich ain't enough (unless you've a bottomless pit of readies like Chelski) cash will always buy a certain amount of success but unless its constantly available & on tap it alone wont sustain anything for long...

A money man & fan alone with the best will in the world will fail, unless he has a footballing head together with business brain & wallet (like Whelan) it wont happen. Just hope we have some real football 'brains' within our club working alongside the money & we have a chance, if not we'll always be yo-yo also-rans.

How many well to do footballers have retired from the game only to go bankrupt a few years later after going into the pub trade, restaurant, night club businesses etc...they all had money, all loved pubs restaurants & clubbing but without knowledge other than as punters of those venues they didn't have much hope of success.

Our man knows tax, investments etc a thorough expert in his field but when it comes to the complexities of not only owning but also running a football club well - on and off the pitch, well maybe he's more of a big hearted enthusiastic amateur with more money than football sense?

Whelan/Lansdown... might the only real difference be ... football pro & businessman vs businessman & enthusiastic amateur ??

Great game and a thoroughly deserved win for Wigan.

Dave Whelan, Chairman of Wigan, is worth a lot less than you Steve but I bet he hasn't spent as much as you in achieving his dream.

What's he done that you haven't? Probably surrounded himself off the field with people who know football (Harman,

Price - what have they ever done) , not gone the extra mile when it came to key transfer decisions (Dele Adebola rather than Fraser Campbell in 2008) and made questionable managerial appointments on too many occasions

GJ took us up a level but you showed him too much loyalty and 10 years down the line we're back where we started and £40m in debt.

We can achieve like Wigan if we have heart & soul, something Basso insprired and you couldn't fail to notice the togetherness of players, manager and Chairman as the club that was non league not so many years ago lifted the trophy.

Seeing Wigan achieve todasy made me feel there is hope for us. Splash more cash Steve, please!

That's right why not hound the bloke who has invested his own money in our club and continues to do so even financing a new stadium or reavamping our existing one.

We came so close to achieving premiership status with all the financial gains from that. Okay we have had some poor managers since then. Could steve have forsessn what copout would do. no!

Was millen a poor appointment, maybe, but clealry other teams rate him as a coach saw him at Crystal palace recently. Did we all at the time think Mc C's was a good appointement -yes

Give the guy a break before he walks and leaves us.

Re FFP

Correct me if I am wrong but is there nothing to stop SL renaming AG The Hargreaves Lansdown Stadium and the club charging, say, £10m a season for naming rights? That counts as turnover does it not so allowing a higher wage %. In addtion he could transfer his loans to shares and correct the balance sheet part of ffp

There is of course ample reason to believe that FFP and the SCMP will be abused based on the past-performance of those that run football in the UK.

However, it should be noted that the clubs involved voted overwhelmingly (including our own) in favour of its implementation. I would therefore expect that if measures are not already in place to prevent crass abuse of the rules (absurd naming rights deals struck between club and owner / phantom employment contracts and the like) the clubs will insist that they are put in place in the future.

Of course it would not be the first time someone has supported the establishment of a cartel simply to steel a march by being the first to break it but the indications are that SL has lost his appetite for funding eight-digit losses with no guarantee of success. It should be noted that he showed no signs of a desire to buy success (at any price) at the outset of his tenure - this only appeared after promotion or more significantly after the trip to Wembley. The project failed and the business blew up in his face - he has now reverted to the approach he had advocated when he first took control.

And how much are the Glaziers football people?

Galziers? .. maybe they just saw an window of opportunity ;)

....different thing surely to buy into an up and running successful football club , business & international brand, .... its a machine but at its heart (on the footballing side) is a wealth of footballing knowledge, talent & tradition.

A few decades ago the football & business side went badly out of sync and even the great Man U almost collapsed - you could've bought the lot (& its debts) for the princely sum of £1 .....

HaHa ..... a puncutation error in my topic title.

I missed off the question mark too!

:laugh:. Sorry, I'm not usually this pedantic for a Sunday morning. I kept reading the thread title and each time wondered why Wigan would be watching Mr Lansdown. :)

I don't get why there is always so much negativity aimed towards Lansdown, it's almost like we think we have so many other options for a good owner?

I honestly think sometimes we never learn, first we complained about our managers so much they all got sacked and now we've been relegated and so now we can't really complain about the current manager we've reverted back to cussing out the owner. Is there anything our fans won't abuse about our club? The owner, the board, the managers, the players, even the shirts... I don't get how so many claim to love this club and then slag every last bit of it off...

I don't get why there is always so much negativity aimed towards Lansdown, it's almost like we think we have so many other options for a good owner?

I honestly think sometimes we never learn, first we complained about our managers so much they all got sacked and now we've been relegated and so now we can't really complain about the current manager we've reverted back to cussing out the owner. Is there anything our fans won't abuse about our club? The owner, the board, the managers, the players, even the shirts... I don't get how so many claim to love this club and then slag every last bit of it off...

So if you don't like the way the club is being run, what do you suggest. Sit on your hands and shut your mouth like a good little boy?

So if you don't like the way the club is being run, what do you suggest. Sit on your hands and shut your mouth like a good little boy?

No, just come on OTIB and repetitively spout the same shite over and over until nothing happens.

Oh wait.....

If you genuinely feel that strongly, get off your arse and do something about it.

No, just come on OTIB and repetitively spout the same shite over and over until nothing happens.

Oh wait.....

If you genuinely feel that strongly, get off your arse and do something about it.

And what makes you think I haven't?

I have now stopped going as well. 40 years of support gone. Everytime I have written. No response. Tells me what I need to know.

But thanks for your concern :)

No problem, but Is that it?

Get down there and organise a Protest or start a chant about it!! Lets see some real action.

All to easy to sit and write a snotagram from your armchair.

No problem, but Is that it?

Get down there and organise a Protest or start a chant about it!! Lets see some real action.

All to easy to sit and write a snotagram from your armchair.

I'm not wasting my money mate. I am boycotting. I have about 7 like minded mates doing the same. Will it work? probably not, but I do think eyes are starting to open concerning the Lansdown's.

I remember making a point to Sexton a few years back and was told I was in a minority, so live with it. I made a point to SL 2 years back and got a shrug and he turned and started to talking to someone else

To be honest I have been going less and less since promotion. And the last thing my dad said to me about city before he died 3 weeks ago was... don't give those clowns one more pound of your money. So as a last wish, he has focused my thinking. I won't be back in person at AG until they are gone. I may make a couple of away trips to wean myself off. But truth be told, I can't say I have missed the dross that is becoming the norm. I find myself listening on radio while out and about.

I'm not wasting my money mate. I am boycotting. I have about 7 like minded mates doing the same. Will it work? probably not, but I do think eyes are starting to open concerning the Lansdown's.

I remember making a point to Sexton a few years back and was told I was in a minority, so live with it. I made a point to SL 2 years back and got a shrug and he turned and started to talking to someone else

To be honest I have been going less and less since promotion. And the last thing my dad said to me about city before he died 3 weeks ago was... don't give those clowns one more pound of your money. So as a last wish, he has focused my thinking. I won't be back in person at AG until they are gone. I may make a couple of away trips to wean myself off. But truth be told, I can't say I have missed the dross that is becoming the norm. I find myself listening on radio while out and about.

Fair enough Mate - It's a real shame it's come to that.

Regardless of what you feel about the owners, It's still Bristol City and its not like they are making any money out of you by you going!

Appreciate what your old fella said, hope its not something you come to regret in the future.

Re FFP

Correct me if I am wrong but is there nothing to stop SL renaming AG The Hargreaves Lansdown Stadium and the club charging, say, £10m a season for naming rights? That counts as turnover does it not so allowing a higher wage %. In addtion he could transfer his loans to shares and correct the balance sheet part of ffp

Is the stadium not a separate concern to the club these days?

If so, does any sponsorship come to the club or Ashton Gate holdings?

Fair enough Mate - It's a real shame it's come to that.

Regardless of what you feel about the owners, It's still Bristol City and its not like they are making any money out of you by you going!

Appreciate what your old fella said, hope its not something you come to regret in the future.

Well nothing lasts forever. I must have see 6 maybe more board changes in my life time.

Rightly others are happy with him in charge, it is at the moment a minority that are not happy. So while the majority are happy. I see no point in going down the vocal protest route with a handful of fans. If popular opinion changes I may go back down :) I can only hope!

Well nothing lasts forever. I must have see 6 maybe more board changes in my life time.

Rightly others are happy with him in charge, it is at the moment a minority that are not happy. So while the majority are happy. I see no point in going down the vocal protest route with a handful of fans. If popular opinion changes I may go back down :) I can only hope!

Whilst you are quite entitled to your opinion, I'm not sure what you want to see happen.

SL tried to buy success, that didn't work. So the club are trying to move to a more sustainable operating model so they can progress organically.

What specific changes would you make and why?

Whilst you are quite entitled to your opinion, I'm not sure what you want to see happen.

SL tried to buy success, that didn't work. So the club are trying to move to a more sustainable operating model so they can progress organically.

What specific changes would you make and why?

I am from the era our club nearly went under. The way the safe guards have been ripped up. The way we are at the beck and call of Lansdown to do what he wants.

I want ownership gone and the financial safegurds put back in place.

I am not one for this dream of premiership football. I want a club that is there for the fans, not the premiership money.

I know many won't understand this. I cannot abide what the premiership is. I cannot abide the sky driven money making machine. I cannot abide the way the fa cup has been devalued and the various European competitions.

SL has broken this club in his attempt at glory. We should never be in this much debt. He has alienated fans, he has the the club fans players and other staff pulling in all different directions, not in unison. He is full of broken promises.

So at the very least, the first thing I would suggest is putting the non ownership back in. Once that is done you can concentrate on planning how a club is run properly, not on hot air and bluster.

Firstly, congrats to Wigan, really pleased for them and hope they stay up.

Indeed, all England's European Champions league winners play at the same ground as they did 100 years ago. Liverpool - Anfield; Man U - Old Trafford; Nottingham Forest - City Ground; Aston Villa - Villa Park; Chelsea - Stamford Bridge.

Now, that's inviting a challenge and here it is: firstly, all of these grounds have been massively redeveloped - Old Trafford has been totally rebuilt over the years. Liverpool and Chelski have both tried to find new grounds, and having failed have planned massive redevelopment of their existing homes. Both see a lack of capacity as a big hindrance to their future plans - look at Arsenal, who've something like doubled their income from matches at the Emirates. Villa Park's been knocked about a lot, I bet they'd have moved but what can you do when you're in the middle of a major city (which they are - we're based in the suburbs by comparison). The Florists I can't comment on as I've not been there, but I bet they had a few builders in.

The simple fact is that since the Taylor report, the establishment of the Prem and the increasing upward mobility of football, improving the "matchday experience" has been a major focus of most clubs. Bums on seats matter, and these days people increasingly expect good quality environments at football matches, and rightly so given the cost of attendance.

So the importance to the club of a better ground cannot, must not be ignored. It is paramount to our future to ensure that we are in a modern stadium, regardless of whether it's AV or AG.

I am from the era our club nearly went under. The way the safe guards have been ripped up. The way we are at the beck and call of Lansdown to do what he wants.

I am not one for this dream of Premier League football. I want a club that is there for the fans, not the Premier League money.

I know many won't understand this. I cannot abide what the Premier League is. I cannot abide the sky driven money making machine. I cannot abide the way the fa cup has been devalued and the various European competitions.

SL has broken this club in his attempt at glory. We should never be in this much debt. He has alienated fans, he has the the club fans players and other staff pulling in all different directions, not in unison. He is full of broken promises.

So at the very least, the first thing I would suggest is putting the non ownership back in. Once that is done you can concentrate on planning how a club is run properly, not on hot air and bluster.

The biggest issue with non ownership would be 'where does the investment come from?' If the 10% (I think it was 10%) rule came back in and no one person had control how would the stadium development be financed and how would the academy be funded?

Whilst there is a worrying amount if debt, that is debt owed to an individual, not a bank and not HMRC.

As for the broken promises, what are you referring to there? I recall SL saying he wouldn't leave us high and dry and he hasn't. Am I forgetting something?

I am not one for this dream of Premier League football. I want a club that is there for the fans, not the Premier League money.

I know many won't understand this. I cannot abide what the Premier League is. I cannot abide the sky driven money making machine. I cannot abide the way the fa cup has been devalued and the various European competitions.

+! - although I don't know how I feel about the relative power of SL; I am grateful for his investment and support, however. The use/misuse of this support and investment is another matter.

Archived