IGNORED

Well Done Wigan, Were You Watching Mr. Lansdown

headhunter

The biggest issue with non ownership would be 'where does the investment come from?' If the 10% (I think it was 10%) rule came back in and no one person had control how would the stadium development be financed and how would the academy be funded?

Whilst there is a worrying amount if debt, that is debt owed to an individual, not a bank and not HMRC.

As for the broken promises, what are you referring to there? I recall SL saying he wouldn't leave us high and dry and he hasn't. Am I forgetting something?

Okay I'll do everything in my power to make colin sexton a premier league chairman at bristol city. A few months later he was gone.

If we don't get or don't want AV I will walk... I will never walk away from Bristol City. You can't have both Steve. Which is it?

Millen is not ready for the job. 3 months later he is.

I could go on. But there are 3 pretty big statements that he has either gone back on, or he is fudging.

Okay I'll do everything in my power to make colin sexton a premier league chairman at bristol city. A few months later he was gone.

If we don't get or don't want AV I will walk... I will never walk away from Bristol City. You can't have both Steve. Which is it?

Millen is not ready for the job. 3 months later he is.

I could go on. But there are 3 pretty big statements that he has either gone back on, or he is fudging.

I think the stadium quote was 'if we don't get Ashton Vale, it might be time to let someone else have a go' which when you are trying to get support for a project is quite a politically astute statement.

The Millan appointment was unfortunate; I don't see what else he could have done at the time, Coppell had spent the money a new d conducted pre-season, then he walks. Who else could have taken over at that time?

As for Sexton, I don't know the circumstances that led to him leaving, so I can't really comment on that.

I think the stadium quote was 'if we don't get Ashton Vale, it might be time to let someone else have a go' which when you are trying to get support for a project is quite a politically astute statement.

The Millan appointment was unfortunate; I don't see what else he could have done at the time, Coppell had spent the money a new d conducted pre-season, then he walks. Who else could have taken over at that time?

As for Sexton, I don't know the circumstances that led to him leaving, so I can't really comment on that.

It doesn't really matter circumstances or not. We know things change. It is more about promises and statements he can't back up. His whole tenure has be based on sound bites and promises. Bluster and bravado that never comes off.

Millions spent, back up by hyperbole for what? Millions and millions of debt to him. Debt he says he won't call in... well yes okay Steve, as long as that isn't one of your normal statements, where circumstances change and you turn 180 degrees.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say.

It doesn't really matter circumstances or not. We know things change. It is more about promises and statements he can't back up. His whole tenure has be based on sound bites and promises. Bluster and bravado that never comes off.

Millions spent, back up by hyperbole for what? Millions and millions of debt to him. Debt he says he won't call in... well yes okay Steve, as long as that isn't one of your normal statements, where circumstances change and you turn 180 degrees.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say.

I can see what you're saying, and I agree with your earlier comments about the Premier League, but if Windass hadn't scored and we'd have won that game, then the investment would have probably be deemed worth it.

I just think that football has changed massively over the last 20 years and these days you either have to accept it is all about money, or you have to accept the death of the sport you enjoyed watching in the past.

I believe SL has the best interests of the club, and sport in Bristol at heart and whilst I respect your view on things, he has tried to make us competitive in an increasing difficult landscape and he has used his own money to do so. The reality is, he can't call his debt in as the club can't support it.

I can see what you're saying, and I agree with your earlier comments about the Premier League, but if Windass hadn't scored and we'd have won that game, then the investment would have probably be deemed worth it.

I just think that football has changed massively over the last 20 years and these days you either have to accept it is all about money, or you have to accept the death of the sport you enjoyed watching in the past.

I believe SL has the best interests of the club, and sport in Bristol at heart and whilst I respect your view on things, he has tried to make us competitive in an increasing difficult landscape and he has used his own money to do so. The reality is, he can't call his debt in as the club can't support it.

Exactly he can't call it in. If he happens to need that money as something bad happens with his finances or family, administrators could be called in to sell assets giving him x pence in the pound. Or SL needs a a quick fire sale to anyone who has the cash.

Not likely to happen granted. But not beyond the realms of possibility.

Hence my complete disagreement to what he has done. And other points you have made concerning change in football and strive for the premiership are not something I am particularly enamoured in :)

At the risk of opening old wounds - the Windass moment occurred before the finances were allowed to spiral out of control

OK, the erosion of governance, the SL unchalleged control and the spectre of Ashton Vale were already in place but the worst was yet to come.

For me the crime of the current regime is that it has lost sight of football being the People's Game and (although it was perhaps always something of a myth) our club no longer feels like it is ours - and we can no longer feel like we belong.

The unspoken mantra of "my way or the highway" never seems far below the surface and no amount of dressiing up with over-managed soundbites can cover this up. SL has committed his own money and he can do what he wants but that in essence is the problem.

Better for our own club to struggle than for a club stolen from us to succeed - We can follow anyone's club but we can only truly support our own.

Sadly the current situation is a club stolen from us struggling at least as much as it would be if it hadn't been - and yet still there are many who doff their caps in deference to the rich owner at every opportunity like persecuted Victorian mill workers to the rich industrialist who holds their future in his hands.

So if you don't like the way the club is being run, what do you suggest. Sit on your hands and shut your mouth like a good little boy?

Well that would be about as effective as coming on here and slagging everything off wouldn't it...

My point is as much as some may not like the way the club is being run we're hardly likely to see a new owner any time soon and even if Lansdown was driven out realistically who is going to buy a club that's been relegated and has £40m of debt. I'd much rather the club remained in the hands of Lansdown because at least he's trying to improve the future of the club. What would you prefer? An owner who sit's on his hands, shuts his mouth and does anything the fans want..... ultimately leading to the club going under because 99% of the fans know **** all about running a football club or any business of equal size?

Read the majority of this debate but stopped 2/3s of the way to add my two peneth

Whelan and Lansdown have similar visions; Whelan doesn't support Wigan though - Lansdown is a City fan

Wigan, Swansea, Blackpool, Reading, Fulham, Hull and all the other "Success stories" from 93 onwards are all examples of decisive management working.

In order to succeed you need to gamble; in order for gambles to pay off you have to have an element of luck. McInnes was an exciting prospect because if it had worked, he'd have been in a position to do what had been done by other clubs hailed for their faith in managers and stability/continuity. For whatever reason 'bad management' just happens, you can't forsee it, you can't guard against it.

There are Big clubs that are global brands that would take either a. mega riches or b. astronomical success to match and become. Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City are the brands at the moment, no matter how hard they fall, Liverpool will still sell shirts in all four corners of the world.

There are a few clubs that are national brands; Newcastle, Leeds, Aston Villa, Tottenham, West Ham. We have more chance of breaking into that mould as we are in the third category at the moment, just either successful or unsuccessful 'other' clubs.

Fortune doesn't favour the brave, Fortune favours the Fortunate, the luckier you are, the braver you get. The best you can do is guard against loosing and remain patient.

Steve Lansdown is doing an excellent job of guarding against loosing - We will not become a 'fall from grace story', we might become a 'rise to fame story'. In my lifetime I dream that City will become a national brand - not in the form of merchanidse, a club that is liked and loathed accross the land idolised and envied but still supported like a proper football club.

Archived