IGNORED

New Assistant To So'd - Update - Pemberton Appointed

Ronnie

Best kept away for ever.

Average player, and after the way he got the job and his managerial nightmare he is never welcome back in any capacity..

Just my view..

Just ask Danny Wilson..

unbelievable statement, I am 24 years old and Tinnion was and i'm sure for many people around my age, my childhood hero, Some of my friends back in the mid/late 90's when having a kickabout would model themselves on Alan Shearer, Paul Gascoigne etc etc and that's fair enough, But I always wanted to be Brian Tinnion, The guy deserves so much more respect than he gets on here, Do people on here want to forget his penalty against Rovers, His volleyed free kick against Cambridge, the Penalty against Cardiff, His many assists for Scott Murray, Shaun Goater and many others i'm sure, Let alone the goal at Anfield.

They were all as a player of course but before he was the manager in 2004, he was a Youth Coach for a few years and brought through Scott Golbourne, David Cotterill, Cole Skuse, and placed a lot of trust in Leroy Lita (more than Wilson did anyway), And with those 4 players, we got a fee of around 3.2 million, We could of got another million had we sold Skuse to Stoke City.

I will admit, I would not of wanted Tin's to be Assistant Manager, Once you've had your time as one of the main men that's it, It would of been a disaster, But from what i'v said above and his experience abroad, I think bringing him back to the club to help with the academy and install some pride back into this club, I 100% support it.

So whether he does come back or not, Brian will always be a hero to me, No matter what some negative armchair keyboard warriors on here think

unbelievable statement, I am 24 years old and Tinnion was and i'm sure for many people around my age, my childhood hero, Some of my friends back in the mid/late 90's when having a kickabout would model themselves on Alan Shearer, Paul Gascoigne etc etc and that's fair enough, But I always wanted to be Brian Tinnion, The guy deserves so much more respect than he gets on here, Do people on here want to forget his penalty against Rovers, His volleyed free kick against Cambridge, the Penalty against Cardiff, His many assists for Scott Murray, Shaun Goater and many others i'm sure, Let alone the goal at Anfield.

They were all as a player of course but before he was the manager in 2004, he was a Youth Coach for a few years and brought through Scott Golbourne, David Cotterill, Cole Skuse, and placed a lot of trust in Leroy Lita (more than Wilson did anyway), And with those 4 players, we got a fee of around 3.2 million, We could of got another million had we sold Skuse to Stoke City.

I will admit, I would not of wanted Tin's to be Assistant Manager, Once you've had your time as one of the main men that's it, It would of been a disaster, But from what i'v said above and his experience abroad, I think bringing him back to the club to help with the academy and install some pride back into this club, I 100% support it.

So whether he does come back or not, Brian will always be a hero to me, No matter what some negative armchair keyboard warriors on here think

And that's your valued opinion. And your fond memories.

Keep them and enjoy many more in the years to come.

At 54 and attending my first game at tender age of 7, I too believe I have an opinion. And certainly not an armchair keyboard warrior.

Trusted I haven't attended many games over last couple of seasons.

But please respect others views, and while Tinnion had a decent left foot (and that's about it) I am in titled to a view.

One that is influenced by his later years at the Gate.

And that's your valued opinion. And your fond memories.

Keep them and enjoy many more in the years to come.

At 54 and attending my first game at tender age of 7, I too believe I have an opinion. And certainly not an armchair keyboard warrior.

Trusted I haven't attended many games over last couple of seasons.

But please respect others views, and while Tinnion had a decent left foot (and that's about it) I am in titled to a view.

One that is influenced by his later years at the Gate.

I have a similar opinion to you.

Good left foot for raking balls to the right wing. Great left foot for putting the left back through. Naff left foot for corners and crossing when you consider what he could do with it. Never really the dominant and play making force he could have been.

I thought his best games came in the middle.

He could have been so much more. He had a wand of a left foot when spreading play.

I liked the bloke a lot. I just don't think he was quite as good as some make out.

Back in the day, when I had a source, who is now at FGR... I was told that Tinnion was a real backside licker towards Landsdown, in Wilsons final season and would do anything he could to make life difficulty for Wilson and Barlow.

A real teachers pet who would go running to Lanssdown at every opportunity..

This and a many other stories ruined any positive thoughts of his tenure at City..

You can be a star player, an average player or complete dross.. But when an employee acts like he 'allegedly' did then it sours everything in my opinion.

And as I say... It's my thoughts, my opinion and how I will always feel..

Back in the day, when I had a source, who is now at FGR... I was told that Tinnion was a real backside licker towards Landsdown, in Wilsons final season and would do anything he could to make life difficulty for Wilson and Barlow.

A real teachers pet who would go running to Lanssdown at every opportunity..

yep, completely undermined Wilson especially in the final season (wasn't the first or the last City Manage he'd done that too, Ask Benny), which is ironic considering Tinnion the footballer BEFORE Danny Wilson and the player he became under Wilson

Tinnion was with us a very long time, but it was only those final few seasons under Wilson people remember, when Wilson came he pushed Tinnion more into Central midfield and he became the player many remember now, spraying balls all over the park, prior to that he'd done little since that Goal at Anfield, he was an average left winger who benefited from having some of our best ever Left Back's behind him in Martin Scott, Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell.

I recall when we got relegated under Jordan and he was trying to get a transfer, following a failed trial with Port Vale he came back to us with his tail between his legs.

But as ever people only remember the end, much like with Wilson people only remember the play-off final and ignore the "just like watching Brazil seasons"

Tinnion - Ok left winger, But No Alan Walsh

yep, completely undermined Wilson especially in the final season (wasn't the first or the last City Manage he'd done that too, Ask Benny), which is ironic considering Tinnion the footballer BEFORE Danny Wilson and the player he became under Wilson

Tinnion was with us a very long time, but it was only those final few seasons under Wilson people remember, when Wilson came he pushed Tinnion more into Central midfield and he became the player many remember now, spraying balls all over the park, prior to that he'd done little since that Goal at Anfield, he was an average left winger who benefited from having some of our best ever Left Back's behind him in Martin Scott, Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell.

I recall when we got relegated under Jordan and he was trying to get a transfer, following a failed trial with Port Vale he came back to us with his tail between his legs.

But as ever people only remember the end, much like with Wilson people only remember the play-off final and ignore the "just like watching Brazil seasons"

Well scribed...

And the undermining is my point exactly.

And your right... No Alan Walsh...

Just out of interest what did tinman do to 'undermine' wilson?

Just out of interest what did tinman do to 'undermine' wilson?

Number of things,

but mainly always being in Lansdown's ear whenever anything was a miss or something he disagreed with in releation to Wilson and telling the Chairman how he could do a better job, of course when Tinnion got the sack it was all everyone else's fault!

If you remember most of the wilson years we played great attacking footy, which resulted in manager 5-3, 4-3, 3-2's and not always in our favour, but in fairness there has never been entertainment like it since, in the last season, Wilson tried to do what Wigan had done the season before and grind out 1-0's, defend strongly and nick goals, Tommy Doc and Burnell in midfield etc.....people didn't like it but it was actually our most succesful season, however this defensive style plus the loss of Murray to Reading meant being stronger and tighter in midfield. Tinnion wasn't the star man anymore especially as we had brought in Luke Wilkshire who was twice the player of Tinnion, Tinnion would tell everyone and anyone how wrong Wilson's tactics were and publically.

He was the same under Benny, publically berating Benny not long after he came to City, bascially because Benny was different, ignore the fact that the bloke had coached at a higher level and with world class players with the Swedish National Team, Tinnion knew best and along with a few other senior players didn't respect him or listen to his views which would have actually benefitted them and results showed.

Number of things,

but mainly always being in Lansdown's ear whenever anything was a miss or something he disagreed with in releation to Wilson and telling the Chairman how he could do a better job, of course when Tinnion got the sack it was all everyone else's fault!

If you remember most of the wilson years we played great attacking footy, which resulted in manager 5-3, 4-3, 3-2's and not always in our favour, but in fairness there has never been entertainment like it since, in the last season, Wilson tried to do what Wigan had done the season before and grind out 1-0's, defend strongly and nick goals, Tommy Doc and Burnell in midfield etc.....people didn't like it but it was actually our most succesful season, however this defensive style plus the loss of Murray to Reading meant being stronger and tighter in midfield. Tinnion wasn't the star man anymore especially as we had brought in Luke Wilkshire who was twice the player of Tinnion, Tinnion would tell everyone and anyone how wrong Wilson's tactics were and publically.

He was the same under Benny, publically berating Benny not long after he came to City, bascially because Benny was different, ignore the fact that the bloke had coached at a higher level and with world class players with the Swedish National Team, Tinnion knew best and along with a few other senior players didn't respect him or listen to his views which would have actually benefitted them and results showed.

First of all, and rather unsurprisingly, you haven't really given any information as to how Tinnion 'undermined' Wilson other than stories of conversations with Lansdown that I assume you were present at?

However you really do ruin your argument when you start talking about the Football. Before the 11 game winning run that started just before Christmas we played some incredibly dull and turgid football with a central midfield that often had Doherty and Burnell in it. Of course you will argue that entertainment comes second to results and I would make you right, but where in the league were we when we began that run? 9th? 10th?

Burnell made 22 appearences for City that season and 19 of them were before December (and therefore the winning run that took us up the league). For you to suggest that he played some major role in a successful season while Tinnion was 'not the star man' would be totally incorrect. Having an argument about a season that is 9 years ago is a fairly hopeless task, but I remember Tinman having an excellent season and really hitting some superb form around the time of the 11 game run.

As for Luke Wilkhire, I really liked him and I without fail use him as an example of City not getting the best out of the talented players we have had over the years, but to suggest that he was twice the player of Tinnion for City (in particular in that season) would be completely wrong in my view.

I would also ask why if Tinman was so public and open in his criticisms of Danny in that season why did Wilson feel the need to pick him (at the age of 35/36) 53 times? This question would have even more relevance in the knowledge that you don't seem to rate him?

After an indifferent start, Brian Tinnion went on to become one of our most consistent and best players over a number of years. Granted he could no tackle, but he had arguably the sweetest left foot outside of the First div (premiership), He was not a left winger any more than say Steven Pearson is when he plays (sic) left midfield.

The team under Danny Wilson underachieved, and the he undermined himself when couldn't pick a proper team in the pray-off final v Brighton.

If Tinman did undermine Wilson (I hope you can back up your allegations with fact) then it would be the complete polar opposite to the way he (allegedly) acted when Russell Osman was manager. As a regular on coach one at the time I heard regular complaints from one member of staff who alledged that he had a brown tongue when it came to supporting the manager.

First of all, and rather unsurprisingly, you haven't really given any information as to how Tinnion 'undermined' Wilson other than stories of conversations with Lansdown that I assume you were present at?

However you really do ruin your argument when you start talking about the Football. Before the 11 game winning run that started just before Christmas we played some incredibly dull and turgid football with a central midfield that often had Doherty and Burnell in it. Of course you will argue that entertainment comes second to results and I would make you right, but where in the league were we when we began that run? 9th? 10th?

Burnell made 22 appearences for City that season and 19 of them were before December (and therefore the winning run that took us up the league). For you to suggest that he played some major role in a successful season while Tinnion was 'not the star man' would be totally incorrect. Having an argument about a season that is 9 years ago is a fairly hopeless task, but I remember Tinman having an excellent season and really hitting some superb form around the time of the 11 game run.

As for Luke Wilkhire, I really liked him and I without fail use him as an example of City not getting the best out of the talented players we have had over the years, but to suggest that he was twice the player of Tinnion for City (in particular in that season) would be completely wrong in my view.

I would also ask why if Tinman was so public and open in his criticisms of Danny in that season why did Wilson feel the need to pick him (at the age of 35/36) 53 times? This question would have even more relevance in the knowledge that you don't seem to rate him?

As you say nine years ago, however your complete denial of this happening makes me sense your viewing Tinnion though some rose tinted glasses, his comments regarding Wilson after he had gone summed up Tinnion really,

Recall when Danny Wilson came back to Ashton Gate with MK dons (???) and Wilson refused to shake his hand pre and post match, then Tinnion went on a major rant at City fans because we'd given Wilson respectful applause on his return, can't remember the exact comment but it was something to the effect of "why are you clapping someone who couldn't get this club up in 4 season". Whether he had a point or not is regardless but not the comments of someone who has respect for his former manager

Still all history now

This and a many other stories ruined any positive thoughts of his tenure at City..

You can be a star player, an average player or complete dross.. But when an employee acts like he 'allegedly' did then it sours everything in my opinion.

And as I say... It's my thoughts, my opinion and how I will always feel..

So essentially you don't like him. That's fine and understandable when you consider the evidence.

Not to rate him on the back of his personality is a bit strange though. As a footballer he was excellent. One of the best we've had.

Good pedigree!

- He started his Playing career as a junior at Manchester United but was released in June 1983. He signed for Chadderton F.C., then Rochdale A.F.C. before moving to Crewe Alexandra in 1985. He initially came to prominence when he joined Crystal Palace in 1988, helping them win promotion to the First Division in 1989. He appeared for Palace in the 1990 FA Cup Final against Manchester United. The initial tie was drawn 3–3 after extra time, with United winning the replay 1–0 after extra time.

In 1990, Pemberton transferred to Sheffield United. During his début against Liverpool in the season opener, he was forced to play in goal after an injury to the United keeper. His most memorable moment game in 1993 when he scored the winning penalty in the shootout against Blackburn Rovers in the Quarter Final replay in the FA Cup. The following summer, he was sold to Yorkshire rivals Leeds United. Pemberton became something of a cult figure at Leeds owing to his determination and high work-rate. He appeared in a second Wembley final when he played for Leeds in the 1996 League Cup Final against Aston Villa; again, unfortunately for Pemberton, his side was defeated.

He ended his career back at Crewe Alexandra with two appearances in the 1997–98 season.

Managerial career Pemberton coached Nottingham Forest's reserve team to the Central League title in the 2007–08 season.[2] In December 2008, following the dismissal of first-team manager Colin Calderwood, Pemberton was appointed as caretaker manager for the match against Norwich City,[3] guiding Forest to a 3–2 victory.[4]Billy Davies was appointed to the post,[5] but did not take over with immediate effect. Pemberton took charge of the Forest side which caused an upset in the Third Round of the FA Cup by winning 3–0 at the City of Manchester Stadium against Premier League opponents Manchester City.[6] At the end of the 2008–09 season Davies reorganised his coaching staff, and Pemberton's contract was terminated by mutual consent after more than a decade as part of Forest's backroom team.[2]

The following season saw him join Crystal Palace's coaching staff for a short spell. The Eagles were in administration, and Pemberton was brought in, along with manager Paul Hart and assistant Dougie Freedman (both of whom had worked with Pemberton as a manager and a player respectively at Forest), for two months to keep the Eagles in Championship. This was achieved on the final day of the season, after which his contract expired.

After leaving Palace he was appointed as the manager of Sheffield United's Academy in May 2010[7]and guided his young team to the Youth FA Cup Final the following season, losing out to Manchester United over two legs.[8] He left Sheffield United in September 2012.[9] His Son Max also is Captain and Midfielder for the Academy Side. On 25 October 2012 he re-joined the coaching staff of Nottingham Forest as a 'Professional Development Coach'.[10]

Very good pedigree, very experienced...how the hell did we get him! When I clicked on the link above and saw his photo I thought it was Millen for a split second!

Onwards and upwards, can only be a positive move by the club.

Waste of time, SOD is off to Wolves isn't he.................

No no no you got it wrong, pemberton has been brought to take over from SoD when Wolves click their fingers, after all our body language experts and mind readers can assure you that whatever SoD says is not what he means, and it's all SL's fault.

The way he could pass and cross the ball with his left peg with such pin point accuracy was a joy to watch.

Now don't go getting the wrong end of the stick - Tinnion is a legend, and indeed had a hell of a 'good knock' on him... but, it always cracks me up when people describe a decent player, who happens to be left footed, and out HAS to be mentioned that he is left footed, and that it somehow makes his talent more wholesome. Almost as though they have overcome some great disability to be able to play football at such a level despite having to use his left foot! Sweet left peg syndrome I call it. You will never hear 'Beckham had one hell of a sweet right peg'.

Granted, a left peg is very useful in football, and understandably in a mangers' demand, but it doesn't mean the player is actually necessarily more talented; a leg is a leg and a foot it's a foot.

I'm cack handed, bit never do I get singled out for special mention on my hand writing!

Good appointment. On the face of it looks far more qualified to help move us forward than o'kelly.

Looks that way to me too. Very good article on the main site in that it backs up general statements about being 'well respected' with a list of actual achievements. The number of academy players making it into the Blades first team is particularly encouraging.

And as far as the debate about Tinnion goes, he was class simple as that. Didn't work out for him as a manager and all that crap about him brown nosing needs to be put aside. Given his talent as a player I think he should be able to make a contribution on the coaching side. Also if we are to create an identity as a club I think successful players like Tinnion who played in the right way and understand the club should play some part. Hasn't done Ajax any harm.

Archived