IGNORED

Question For George

Bert's City

How come you are spending so much money taking a entourage around Europe on fact finding missions.

With regard to Bristol's poor transport network and European fact finding. It's a fact about Germany - for instance - that their tram transport systems were back up and running just after World War 2 came to an end. Dresden centre was completely flattened by RAF Bomber Command and the rubble was cleared within days and trams back up and running. In contrast, Bristol's tram system power supply was bombed by the German Luftwaffe in 1941 and 72 years on and Bristol still hasn't got it's tram system back in operation. There just isn't a more efficient and environmentally friendly way of moving large numbers of people around a city than with trams. Germans are spot on with this as well as with safe standing at football and with low priced tickets for top flight football.

Dear George...

The words "Bristol" and "Mayor" should never be mixed...ever...you have proved time and time again before you're "erect..sorry election" that you will run with the pack when timing and predjudice suites, you are for all reasons an unstimulating**** of the highest order, feathering your ego and your nest as the need arises, taking coffee at the trinity is just the begining, you were an unknown amongst the greater bristol public, and with your withering intelect and sorry red troons you will become as befits a total tosser of our time the fools fool, voted in by fools and ousted by horse sense....rodney

With regard to Bristol's poor transport network and European fact finding. It's a fact about Germany - for instance - that their tram transport systems were back up and running just after World War 2 came to an end. Dresden centre was completely flattened by RAF Bomber Command and the rubble was cleared within days and trams back up and running. In contrast, Bristol's tram system power supply was bombed by the German Luftwaffe in 1941 and 72 years on and Bristol still hasn't got it's tram system back in operation. There just isn't a more efficient and environmentally friendly way of moving large numbers of people around a city than with trams. Germans are spot on with this as well as with safe standing at football and with low priced tickets for top flight football.

This sounds about right. One of my parents moved down here about 30 years or so ago. One of the much trumpeted local headlines was apparently Bristol to get supertram...30 years or so on??

Why do you pander to the demands of so many minority pressure groups while ignoring the needs and wishes of the vast majority?

Because the vast majority didn't bother voting. How many of you slagging him off bothered to vote?

Tackling traffic congestion in Bristol needs to happen. I'd have trams (nimbys x 10 compared to AV), better public transport but until that happens promoting cycling actually means less cars on the road for those that wanna or have to drive. I do own a car but as far as getting around Bristol goes cycling is much quicker, less stressful and I can have a pint. No brainer.

Because the vast majority didn't bother voting. How many of you slagging him off bothered to vote?

Tackling traffic congestion in Bristol needs to happen. I'd have trams (nimbys x 10 compared to AV), better public transport but until that happens promoting cycling actually means less cars on the road for those that wanna or have to drive. I do own a car but as far as getting around Bristol goes cycling is much quicker, less stressful and I can have a pint. No brainer.

I voted and tried to stop him.

The last thing we need is more suicidal cyclists who don't obey the Highway Code on our streets. It's bad enough already.

I had a tweet from him once saying he won't make improvements for the motorists as it will encourage more people to drive. He thinks the worse it is for the motorist then the more likely they are to switch to alternative transport.

My argument is what with Bristol being a green City then all the emissions produced by stop start traffic surely defeats the whole object of being green.

My concern is after his term is up its gonna take us 10+ years to recover from his crazy ideas. He isn't moving Bristol forward he's pushing us back.

You do know that you can be charge being under the influence in charge of a cycle don't you?

Why do you hate cars?

THIS THIS and THIS.

I had some opitimism over his stadium commitment and helping it pass through. Shattered by the introduction to Resident Permits everywhere making it difficult to get to work. Then his "suggestion" to bring in Congestion charge. Is he trying to lose me my job. How on earth does he expect me to travel into Bristol.

Recently published heckling is well deserved.

I agree.

His "ideas" have all been tried before either in Bristol or elsewhere.

He isn't getting to the core of the transport problem in Bristol, he's just copying other failures.

Whats the point of forcing car users onto a transport system that isn't adequate, its a disaster waiting to happen. There's always the bendy buses I suppose, the ones that Cardiff and London ditched as a failed strategy years ago.

Join up the bus services and rail services George then get the cars off the road, you're doing it the wrong way round.

When did Cardiff Bus ditch their Bendy Buses, surely they are still in service, check their website!

Will GF be wearing the new **** off t-shirt?

GF is utter useless, someone on here nailed it on by saying he is a veggie lover / tree hugger.

He will always attack the motorist as long as he is in power, nothing against cyclists but how can you justify that switching traffic cameras back on in the centre of Bristol is for cyclist safety? When really half just jump red lights or move onto the pavement... There was even a survey recently how accidents have gone down since the switch off.

Many other moans i can think off.. RPZ etc.

#kickgeorgeout

Will GF be wearing the new **** off t-shirt?

GF is utter useless, someone on here nailed it on by saying he is a veggie lover / tree hugger.

He will always attack the motorist as long as he is in power, nothing against cyclists but how can you justify that switching traffic cameras back on in the centre of Bristol is for cyclist safety? When really half just jump red lights or move onto the pavement... There was even a survey recently how accidents have gone down since the switch off.

Many other moans i can think off.. RPZ etc.

#kickgeorgeout

On the red light cameras I'm sure the phase between amber and red is much shorter than usual. So your left in a situation where as soon as it goes amber you slam on your brakes to avoid being flashed. How George can say that is safer I don't know.

Why are you basing your ideas on Copenhagen & Amsterdam?. We are f00king Bristolians and most have f00k all in common with the Danish (except for bacon of course :) ) or Dutch.

Nottingham, would have been a much better example of how to go about things....tram anyone?.

#kickgeorgeout #saynotoredtrousers

When are you going to step aside for Stoney?

Stoney would have got things done ( not on his own, but with his cabinet ) what the majority wanted, because he would have asked the majority what they wanted/needed, not TOLD them what they wanted/needed. I honestly think what another poster has said, in that he is putting Bristol back 10 years, not forwards.

How can he say that he wants to cut the speed limit on the M32 due to the poor air quality on both sides of the motorway, surley slow the traffic down and the quality gets worse or am I wrong. The bloke was only ever out for his own agenda, and his venturer cronnies.

Archived