IGNORED

Baldock To Charlton

foghornred

Would love to start next season with Baldock and Taylor up front. Lots of niggles and a complete lack of service didn't help Baldock at all last season.

Besides, unless he submits an official transfer request, he won't be going anywhere. Would cost us a fortune in compensation.

We'd need to have a striker lined up to replace him if we were to sell. Would like to think we'd hold out for £1.5m and if we did sell would be worth sticking a bid in for someone like Luke Freeman or Nahki Wells.

I'd rather keep Baldock then Davies though. Would rather not have Taylor having to start the majority of the season.

I honestly believe Baldock can score 20 odd in league one with the team and type of football Sod plays. His record and videos of his goals at mk and west ham proves this.

If he is still here in July I am going to shove £10 on it.

If he stays fit he'll score 20 goals in League 1.

Over-riding feeling though is that if we receive a substantial offer (£800,000 plus), and faced with the realisation that his wage could provide 2 new signing, lower league, first team starters, id be pretty suprised if we didnt sell.

With a propper midfield he'd get 20+

Agree. Has not had decent enough service up til now. Would bang them in for fun in league 1 if we can sort our midfield out. Luckily SOD seems to rate him too, so can't see him going unless we're offered stupid money.

Cheerio Sammy boy!! Thanks for the, erm, um, nothing?! Wages, injuries and to my mind, signed for us only because he didnt have anywhere to go!

£1m = must sell.

You sure about that? Sure I read numerous rumours he was being chased by a few teams when he signed for us.

Not played out on the right wing he won't :)

Yup, often played more as a midfielder on the left or right of a front 3 - he has been unlucky (just like other players Pitman etc - ) that he has been in a team that simply does not suit any forward/striker that cannot thrive of long 50/50 balls in the air - if we played the ball on the ground, balls behind around the box, or in the channels Baldock has shown he can work those areas well - but has far to little opportunity thanks to being in a poor team (just like Pitman). I think he with Anderson & Bryan could play some pretty devastating passing football in and around the box/danger areas - just hope they get the chance.

As for the money.... do we need it that much ? If we can live within FFP and create the best possible chance for us to be in the top 6 by keeping him - then I would....

For a million quid I'd give him a piggy-back to Charlton.

Awful first touch, pointless in a 451, nothing in the air, ok finisher and injured for weeks at the first sign of a little knock.

Also a high earner.

No brainer.

Well for a start I don't think we'll be playing 451 much next season. His injury prone-ness is a worry, but I'd argue that his poor first touch and inconsistent performances are probably linked to him not being fully fit. As with Davies, our need to have someone who can score goals was generally greater than our need to have players who were 100% fit. He was very good at the start of the season

Anyway, what people seem to be overlooking is where on earth Charlton are going to get £1million from? No way we can turn down 7 figures, but who's going to pay that for him? I suspect that unless the toys come out the pram he'll be here come August

He hasnt EVER! Sorry to burst your bubble, he's never scored more than 14 in a season .http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/73314/sam-baldock?cc=5739

FWIW he is like Danny Haynes, in all but name. He needs to work on his composure in front of goal more and then would be a real at this level or the Champs, however at this stage, he doesnt really do much of anything, consistantly. If we played 3 up front 'properly' we may get more from him, but lumps arent really working.

He's nowhere near as quick as Haynes.

I agree with chipdawg, there's no way anyone's paying £1 million for him least of all Charlton.

He hasnt EVER! Sorry to burst your bubble, he's never scored more than 14 in a season .http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/73314/sam-baldock?cc=5739

FWIW he is like Danny Haynes, in all but name. He needs to work on his composure in front of goal more and then would be a real at this level or the Champs, however at this stage, he doesnt really do much of anything, consistantly. If we played 3 up front 'properly' we may get more from him, but lumps arent really working.

He is absolutely nothing like Danny Haynes.

If we get any offers of 7 figures, for any of this lot, not just Baldock, they will go. No ****** wants to play in L1 after playing in the Championship! And our pile of debt of 41 mill suggests its a cert....FFP and all that other shite.

We are not gonna find it easy in this league this season, not in a million years...A big **** YOU to the four managers who have left us in this ****** awful mess..

Well, thanks for the insight. I put my view across. Striker/Winger who is relatively quick and cant shoot properly for toffee rated elsewhere, came here and flattered to decieve.. I'd say that's pretty similar in my view

he isn't anything like haynes, his movement off the ball is a hell of a lot better for a start, and he can't play on the wing dispite what McInnes thought

What makes me think he would get 20 Goals in league 1?

10 goals in 23 Championship Starts and 11 Sub appearances this season. Not bad at all IMO especially when you consider he struggled for fitness, we often lumped the ball at his head, he was occasionally played out of position and was playing for the divisions worst team.

He will score goals in League 1 for fun if he can remain fit, is played in position and we keep the ball on the deck.

If we sell him, we have no chance of replacing him with a player of equal quality unless we unearth an absolute gem from somewhere. I wouldn't like to take the chance personally. We are in League 1 now and the standard may come as a bit of a shock for those wanting rid of Baldock.

10 goals in 23 Championship Starts and 11 Sub appearances this season. Not bad at all IMO especially when you consider he struggled for fitness, we often lumped the ball at his head, he was occasionally played out of position and was playing for the divisions worst team.

He will score goals in League 1 for fun if he can remain fit, is played in position and we keep the ball on the deck.

If we sell him, we have no chance of replacing him with a player of equal quality unless we unearth an absolute gem from somewhere. I wouldn't like to take the chance personally. We are in League 1 now and the standard may come as a bit of a shock for those wanting rid of Baldock.

so 3 shortof pitmans best season for us in less appeances.............

I've never understood the obsession with strikers that run around a lot but don't score. That I can understand in midfield or defence

It seems we have a lot of fans that prefer a forwards work rate over goals. I am the exact opposite when it comes to strikers.

Thank you lord!

I couldn't care less if a striker only touches the ball once in the whole game as long as its the winner.

Baldock is that guy, as was Brett and look what happened to him when he started getting some ball ....

I just don't understand how people can say a player will score 20+ goals, He's a poacher a natural finisher, He should be able to score at any level if you're a poacher its about being in the right place at the right time, Baldock hasn't done that enough for me so far,

That's why I struggle to see where his goals will come from, He's only got one side to his game being the fox in the box, If a good enough offer comes in take it

I'll be happy to be proven wrong next season though Baldock :)

I just don't understand how people can say a player will score 20+ goals, He's a poacher a natural finisher, He should be able to score at any level if you're a poacher its about being in the right place at the right time, Baldock hasn't done that enough for me so far,

That's why I struggle to see where his goals will come from, He's only got one side to his game being the fox in the box, If a good enough offer comes in take it

I'll be happy to be proven wrong next season though Baldock :)

10 in 23 says otherwise, if he starts 46 games those stats suggest he'd get 20 goals

Any "poacher" relies on service and in particular the ball being in the oppositions penalty box......can you honestly say we either provided that service or had the ball in that area enough for him to do what he's good at?

Well, thanks for the insight. I put my view across. Striker/Winger who is relatively quick and cant shoot properly for toffee rated elsewhere, came here and flattered to decieve.. I'd say that's pretty similar in my view

He can't play on the wing, Haynes was quite good there. He can finish, he's just lost his form, you need only look at how he was playing in his first few games to see that. Haynes was the worst finisher I've seen in a City shirt (didn't see Junior Bent and I don't class out League 1 strikers under GJ as they were understandably poor)

Baldock has superb movement when he's on song, Haynes only had pace.

Massively different players.

Baldock's wages won't count towards our FFP total anyway though... anybody signed last season on a 3+ year deal is the criteria isn't it? Keep him here...

I've seen this mentioned a few times , and I have asked before but not had an answer from anyone.

Is this definitely right and if so , what is the reason?

I've seen this mentioned a few times , and I have asked before but not had an answer from anyone.

Is this definitely right and if so , what is the reason?

The reason was given in the post you quoted. I believe it was to give relegated teams a bit of leeway when they signed long term contracts with players knowing how difficult it can be to shift those sorts of players. There's. bit if confusion as to whether its 3 or 4 year contracts but I understand its the former.

Archived