IGNORED

The Vision

Whats with all this nieve "not sure how you get a lower middle management job straight from uni" crap.

Isnt that all you need these days, or appears to be? Seen it many times to be honest and I'm sure lots of others on here have too.

The modern world I'm afraid, let's judge them all on results not prejudice please.

Gotta say for some odd reason I've become reasonably optimistic all of a sudden, but time will tell!

Are you suggesting all you need is a degree to get a job in middle management?

Amazing.

Fans complain the club doesn't communicate.

Club communicates.

Fans complain the club is only communicating to sell stuff.

Exactly. If the club released a statement saying they didn't wish to release their long-term plans at this time, the same people complaining that this is nothing but a sales pitch would be moaning that they should have released a statement or video to help sell some season tickets! There are modern pharmaceutical products available that can help you people; Xanax, Prozac, etc. Probably more productive than constant negativity...

I don't think going to Uni and studying business means you are qualified for an MD role. Nowhere else would someone land this role as their first job, which gives rise to the question is he the best candidate? I'd say no.

It's not his first job though is it, and hes been shadowing his father since he left Uni, being groomed to take over the club I imagine within the next 5-10 years.

It's not his first job though is it, and hes been shadowing his father since he left Uni, being groomed to take over the club I imagine within the next 5-10 years.

The fact it isnt his first job has been superceded since I posted that, but even worse, its another case of 'give my son a job'.

Expected better from Steve TBH.

going back to the vision stuff, this article is a very good read for those interested in how to develop a self sustaining club and be successful.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

It goes to prove that change doesnt happen over night (around 10 years, it took for this club to start producing local bred talent) and if our club are trying to base us ons omething similar to this going forward, then I would not complain!

The fact it isnt his first job has been superceded since I posted that, but even worse, its another case of 'give my son a job'.

Expected better from Steve TBH.

would,nt you do the same for your son if you were in Steve,s shoes? dont see anything wrong in it tbf

would,nt you do the same for your son if you were in Steve,s shoes? dont see anything wrong in it tbf

Best man for the job?

I don't have kids so can't comment, but I expect most dads would do the same, its natural.

The difference is whether the son accepts the opportunity.

We've already heard in this thread how perhaps his jobs in HL and BCFC arent necessarily because he is the best candidate.

Does explain how the GJ/LJ/PJ situation was allowed though.... ;)

Best man for the job?

I don't have kids so can't comment, but I expect most dads would do the same, its natural.

The difference is whether the son accepts the opportunity.

We've already heard in this thread how perhaps his jobs in HL and BCFC arent necessarily because he is the best candidate.

Does explain how the GJ/LJ/PJ situation was allowed though.... ;)

Similar to the Inces situation at Blackpool eh (",)

Fans complain the club doesn't communicate.

Club communicates.

Fans complain the club is only communicating to sell stuff.

Unfair. Everyone wants the club to communicate their plans, and there's no argument with that.

What we don't want, or need, is a blatant sales pitch - which is what 'The Vision' is...

The club could have easily laid out their plans is a well written article, not resort to a video where various employees of the club make a plea to fans to buy a season ticket.

This club is taking very sensible steps towards the future financially.

Of course we would have all liked to stay in the Championship but I would rather have a League 1 club to support rather than no club to support. despite how painful it is to see Yeovil with GJ going up in our place.

The club is now taken major action to achieve a terrific platform to build on.

Just a word on Steve Landsdown. I don't blame him for what he says in this video and who could. His determination to make money for himself and the club will benefit everyone involved in the future as he says He won't write off the debts but he will invest where investment is needed.

Can only be a good long term future.

Worked at Hargreaves prior to City, wasn't the most popular person there, mainly due to feelings on how he got a his position and was jumped over better qualified and more expereinced people, similar happened when he joined City and its no suprise that in the back office there has been a big turn over of staff since he's been there and alot of long term staff have all moved on or been shunted out,

Shouter not a listener.

As for the video, all very good but it's just your typical sales spin which is needed as this time of year, I appreciate Dave L's efforts, but it's no suprise that all this 'fan friendly ethos' has happened when on the field we were in the shit and ST sales were upcoming.

You can bet your dollar, the moment things turn around on the field, Bristol City Customers will be them feeling the force of 'commerical decision"

Call me a cynic but for me, the whole thing has been one big marketing ploy to get fans onside and giving them the lip service they need to get ST sales going,

You're a cynic.

Well JL is clearly no mug.

He's not made any critical errors so let's save the doubts for the time being imo.

How do you know he has not made any critical errors? unless you are saying he had no part in employing Millie and Del Boy and half the playing staff and getting us relegated. The buck stops with those in charge and last time I checked he effectively is with Mr. Dawe preferring the wood panelled board room to the front of a camera. The whole shebang started going downhill faster than a luge on an ice run when Stevie L upped and left for the Bailiwick.

Unfair. Everyone wants the club to communicate their plans, and there's no argument with that.

What we don't want, or need, is a blatant sales pitch - which is what 'The Vision' is...

The club could have easily laid out their plans is a well written article, not resort to a video where various employees of the club make a plea to fans to buy a season ticket.

The article would be pages long so I prefer this way of putting the clubs ideas forward. Putting faces to names was good. Barely noticed the plea for money. Thought it was worthwhile.

DESGIMED

"Are you suggesting all you need is a degree to get a job in middle management?"

What im suggesting is, if your cut out for management then yes a degree will absolutely go an extremely long way to get you that post. As I said I've seen it dozens of times.

My own MD for example has a degree, his first job was as a maintenance manager (not hands on, just delegating) for a big company who makes tyres.

An undergrad who shadowed me last year now has a "managment" job in the city in banking

Not saying its right, I'm saying its how it is!

DESGIMED

"Are you suggesting all you need is a degree to get a job in middle management?"

What im suggesting is, if your cut out for management then yes a degree will absolutely go an extremely long way to get you that post. As I said I've seen it dozens of times.

My own MD for example has a degree, his first job was as a maintenance manager (not hands on, just delegating) for a big company who makes tyres.

An undergrad who shadowed me last year now has a "managment" job in the city in banking

Not saying its right, I'm saying its how it is!

I'm not sure we're discussing the same thing.

Think its good with the new staff. They know eacsh others and got a plan. Last season was a nightmare and we have to start from zero again, Think the Club is doing the right things. Looked at the video and think it is promising. How it gonna ends, we dont know, but my feeling is that we got good persons who will work with the Club. Something have to be done, and as I understands it City gotta plan. No panic buy and work from where we are. As someone said in the video, we have to stick together. Interesting season coming.

Not been asked to watch it. Same old same old from Bcfc. I just feel this is a problem exercise rather than an actual attempt to change things. We have heard all this before what makes this time any different? I look forward to watching a video in 5 years times showing us how they have reshaped the club. Talk is cheap, rather they put their efforts into actually sorting this club instead of messing around with silly videos. If their doing positive things then u don't need a video to showcase that. First rule, don't ever beat your own drum.

The article would be pages long so I prefer this way of putting the clubs ideas forward. Putting faces to names was good. Barely noticed the plea for money. Thought it was worthwhile.

Disagree - we don't need the fluff, just the outline plan. As someone else said, would prefer a video in 5 years showing exactly what they've done, rather than what they plan to do. Talk is cheap and videos even cheaper. A short article would've been sufficient. I stand by my original opinion of this video that it was a sales pitch for season tickets.

When something positive starts happening at the club and it can be seen by the fans, then is the time to start thumping your chest.

Nobody can deny that this club is in diasarray. As fans, we welcome the attempt to do something about it, but blowing your own trumpet with stuff that's been heard before is not the right way to go about it, in my opinion.

Talk is cheap ? So when they talk about the academy and the cat 2 they are waiting to hear from, with the 35 members of staff and £1.3 million investment - that's cheap ?

When they talk about the new appointments and scouting wages etc - that's cheap ?

What crap some people talk on here - people moaning the club has no ambition, crap youth set up, facilities, staff, coaching, how they don;t communicate, people don;t know whats happening at the club - when the club do something to show what's happening it's - all talk, talks cheap, why you bothering making a video etc ----- there is a minority bunch of never to be satisfied hypocrites on this forum.....

Disagree - we don't need the fluff, just the outline plan. As someone else said, would prefer a video in 5 years showing exactly what they've done, rather than what they plan to do. Talk is cheap and videos even cheaper. A short article would've been sufficient. I stand by my original opinion of this video that it was a sales pitch for season tickets.

When something positive starts happening at the club and it can be seen by the fans, then is the time to start thumping your chest.

Nobody can deny that this club is in diasarray. As fans, we welcome the attempt to do something about it, but blowing your own trumpet with stuff that's been heard before is not the right way to go about it, in my opinion.

No I prefer a video. As I said it was good to put names to faces. It was also good to see someone like Amy knighton speaking with real enthusiasm about the community trust. My son will be attending a community trust coaching course next week and they will also be doing something with my sons club. I wont knock that as the club becoming more accessible is one way I want to see City go.

Having worked in a merchant bank for 12 years, its exactly what happens on a regular basis - from Cambridge/Oxford straight into senior management.

Having also worked for a major organisation with 10k + employees, the graduate programme escalates decent graduates into senior management within 3 years.

It works as both organisations are extremely successful.

Aye, but not bloody Southampton!

And I a sorry, hiring a wet behind the ears graduate straight into a management position is crap, they get walked all over. Yes i have seen top students get pushed up the ladder pretty damn quickly. But often they get to go into a position where they can do less damage. i hae seen it in both public and Private sector , and in most it fails miserably and others get taken off their lower paid jobs to try and guide the incompetent graduates.

There worst company for doing this is Deloitte lots of quickly promoted numpties that think they are great, going into others businesses, writing notes in latin between one another (so those that are paying them cannot read it!.... or so they think :) ) and generally being so far up themselves because they come from Oxford or Cambridge, into Deloitte unfortunately, pretty much ever project I have been involved with with Deloitte involves us repairing the utter bodge they put in through piss poor management from young straight out of uni bright young things that have no clue.

You're talking about "business consultants" or "auditors" - both are utterly useless and anyone could do that job as long as they follow the system.

I'm talking about people with real skills being recruited straight from uni and escalated to senior positions to do a real job - not the likes of Deloittes or KPMG, but in the real world actually being responsible for their actions.

Anyway we digress, the vision video got across a few points but missed out a lot more.

Whilst yes consultants sell waffle and audit is relatively simple, the latter still requires a knowledge of accountancy.

I challenge you to walk into a PLC and audit and challenge areas of tax, acquisitions, share valuation etc in a week and sit in an audit committee and present your findings to a panel of 6+ 'real people' you refer to. In my experience these people doing real jobs usually have no idea what they are doing, hence why auditors ARE needed.

Nope. Auditors are needed purely to tick the box that says "have you been audited".

I've been on the end of what feels like hundreds of audit reports and 90% have been flawed to the point of being useless. The other 10% I filed under "tell me something I don't effin know".

Guess it depends on what industry. In the financial world most audits end it various corrections where the numbers are just plain wrong, you could usually argue there is no value added but it at least achieves something.

I've also seen however the results of VFM audits in public sector, IT audits, systems audits etc and yes the list of best practice points are mostly, not worth the paper they're written on!

Nope. Auditors are needed purely to tick the box that says "have you been audited".

I've been on the end of what feels like hundreds of audit reports and 90% have been flawed to the point of being useless. The other 10% I filed under "tell me something I don't effin know".

Also sounds like you're confusing a physical report like a document, and an 'audit report' which is 1 page.

You're talking about "business consultants" or "auditors" - both are utterly useless and anyone could do that job as long as they follow the system.

I'm talking about people with real skills being recruited straight from uni and escalated to senior positions to do a real job - not the likes of Deloittes or KPMG, but in the real world actually being responsible for their actions.

Anyway we digress, the vision video got across a few points but missed out a lot more.

No I'm talking about it project managers.

Don't get me started on business consultants and auditors.

Archived