IGNORED

The Vision

The club of course are still putting a positive spin on the outlook, they are after all wanting our money as well as our support. It seems they have reigned in past promises of 'champagne football' and are more subdued and realistic which is a start.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit out of love of the game at the moment but I feel I've heard it before, over and over just different words from some different faces. No doubt a few decent signings will tempt me back, but I need convincing by actions more than words.

It sounds promising for sure. We just need to take some time to rebuild the squad and the academy and hopefully we'll see much better football then in the past 4 or 5 years. Fans will get behind young and hungry players, even if the results don't come straight away. What fans won't accept is over paid and over rated players with big time attitudes but no fight or passion on the pitch.

That was a great video and it's a good effort from the club. I am glad they are re-articulating the 5 pillar strategy. Good luck to them all.

That's all well and good but haven't we heard of this type before. The club are always good at talking but can they finally walk the walk? We shall see.

Understandable the breadth in opinions. As someone who develops strategies for a living, this hangs together well, although I'd love to see the details behind it - what about a mailshot/e-mail to all the fans setting out our goals and - most importantly - the timeline?

Key positives and messages that I took from this:

1. It's not going to happen overnight - no timescales indicated for the "5 pillars", there should be some time lines however behind what we want to achieve by when
  2. I wonder if SL is gearing up to sell the club - talking about investment and building, think he's going to get the new AG/AV and then chop it in. Don't blame him
  3. Very positive to see female members of staff in key positions - Amy Kington both articulate and positive
  4. If this is to be achieved, we need stability in key positions - which means sticking with SO'D, and with the wider vision. Personally, I have no problem with this, but we as fans need to accept that instant results are not guaranteed - there may be a couple of seasons of treading water before things really get better.
  5. If the future is youth development, we need to allow the kids space to develop, not just as players but also as people. And we need to accept that some will fail, some will move on to better things.

Finally, I'd love to know what was on Keith Burt's whiteboard... :laugh:

The club of course are still putting a positive spin on the outlook, they are after all wanting our money as well as our support. It seems they have reigned in past promises of 'champagne football' and are more subdued and realistic which is a start.

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit out of love of the game at the moment but I feel I've heard it before, over and over just different words from some different faces. No doubt a few decent signings will tempt me back, but I need convincing by actions more than words.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't help thinking as I watched the video 'same old, same old'.

Tbh the only thing that really matters to me is City winning and we all know that the last few seasons wins have been few and far between and that is bound to influence how we all feel about the club at the moment. Its good to see that there is at least some kind of longer term strategy from the club but ultimately it boils down to entertaining the supporters on the pitch and to do that O'Driscoll needs to get City playing decent stuff and winning matches. Lets hope he can do it.

....or chairman.

Why does everyone keep going on about the Chairman? The Chairman is a business appointment: they not have to be the figurehead for the club. They have a responsibility to ensure that the club operates legally and properly. They don't have to be a spokesperson for the football policy.

It is quite usual in business for the Chief Executive or Managing Director to be the main spokesperson, and the Chair not play a public role.

Well said M - I've said the same in other threads

Football means less and less to me as my daughters get older, I'd rather spend my Saturday afternoon's with them. The football served up at the Gate has been dire for some time now, it really is a no contest

SL gets wheeled out every May for an end of season 'I won't call the debt in', 'lessons have been learned', 'I'll back the manager again next season' message to the fans. Same old, same old

Couldn't wait for the Charlton game to be done with so I don't end up glued to my phone on a Saturday checking the score at every opportunity, never wanted a season to end as much as the last one

On the plus side, I'm with S'OD, the signing yesterday of a young lad from one of the Big 4 (who turned down a new contract at Arsenal), the thought of (hopefully) being competitive next season are reasons to be optimistic. Ask me again in October.....

Why does everyone keep going on about the Chairman? The Chairman is a business appointment: they not have to be the figurehead for the club. They have a responsibility to ensure that the club operates legally and properly. They don't have to be a spokesperson for the football policy.

It is quite usual in business for the Chief Executive or Managing Director to be the main spokesperson, and the Chair not play a public role.

:-)

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't help thinking as I watched the video 'same old, same old'.

Tbh the only thing that really matters to me is City winning and we all know that the last few seasons wins have been few and far between and that is bound to influence how we all feel about the club at the moment. Its good to see that there is at least some kind of longer term strategy from the club but ultimately it boils down to entertaining the supporters on the pitch and to do that O'Driscoll needs to get City playing decent stuff and winning matches. Lets hope he can do it.

RR,

To be fair to the club, they are between a rock and a hard place. They send out the messages they have and the cynical and sceptical suporters say it's just same old, same old, or they say absolutely nothing and fans moan that there is no communication from the club, we don't know what is happening, if anything etc. etc.

For what it's worth, I think the club means what it says and that there are real changes, particularly in the club's overall philosophy, that will make a difference. The more I listen to him, the more I am convinced that SOD is key to the changes working in practice. He does seem to have bought in to BCFC and his role in changing the culture. We are moving away from paying over the odds for underperforming journey men and at last aiming to bring through the sort of ambitious, albeit perhaps inexperienced youngsters many have been crying out for over the last few seasons. A greater focus on the academy will hopefully provide more players educated in BCFC culture, for the future.

As you say, it will be out on the pitch were we will judge the success of the new project, but I just hope that fans are prepared to give SOD and the club time to effect the changes necessary to put us back on track.

RR,

To be fair to the club, they are between a rock and a hard place. They send out the messages they have and the cynical and sceptical suporters say it's just same old, same old, or they say absolutely nothing and fans moan that there is no communication from the club, we don't know what is happening, if anything etc. etc.

For what it's worth, I think the club means what it says and that there are real changes, particularly in the club's overall philosophy, that will make a difference. The more I listen to him, the more I am convinced that SOD is key to the changes working in practice. He does seem to have bought in to BCFC and his role in changing the culture. We are moving away from paying over the odds for underperforming journey men and at last aiming to bring through the sort of ambitious, albeit perhaps inexperienced youngsters many have been crying out for over the last few seasons. A greater focus on the academy will hopefully provide more players educated in BCFC culture, for the future.

As you say, it will be out on the pitch were we will judge the success of the new project, but I just hope that fans are prepared to give SOD and the club time to effect the changes necessary to put us back on track.

Like all fans I really want to believe in those who run our club but that belief has been whittled away so many times over so many years. Brief success followed by years of mediocrity plus almost complete silence from the boardroom don't exactly fill fans with unbounded optimism.

That said, I like the new structure of the club. The appointment of Kieth Burt is a new development for City but surely the right move. John Pemberton certainly talked the talk in his Player interview and I like O'Driscoll's approach to the game and his no nonsense approach to the media so I do have some degree of optimism that the club has at last turned the corner. I particularly liked O'Driscoll wanting to develop a 'Bristol City' style (like one that fans associate with Swansea rather that Sam Allardyce)

To be honest I don't give much thought to the academy but if it can produce first team quality then all well and good. As I said earlier to me its all about whats happening on the pitch. A successful and entertaining team means happy fans and lets face it we all like to be happy.

I'm with you on this one RR.

I'm afraid the SL speech leaves me cold...I've heard it too many times before and it sounded more convincing when we were a Championship club appearing to move forward on and off the pitch than it does after an abject relegation season when we are back in Division 3 with a mountain of debt....

BUT the playing side could be exciting, and I have faith in O'Driscoll. Looking forward to seeing what he can do to turn things around.

Can`t help but compare this to last years Palace "call me maybe" video.

I reckon it would have sold more season tickets for them than this one will for us.

Palace video - Young pretty girls probably doing it for nothing having a laugh.

Vision Video - People on 5/6 figure salaries boring us with the same old spin to buy season tickets to keep them in 5/6 figure salaries.

Feels like we have got rid of all of the indians and are left with too many chiefs.

We do seem to at last putting quality experienced people in to the roles, that is a great huge positive. I can't see SoD working with amateurs can you. But just how bad did it get before these things were noticed and acted upon, I knew it was bad but only really now appreciating just how bad.

It reminds me of those train/car restorations where it is allowed to sit and rust in a field for years before anyone looks at it, and then having to do ten times as much work as a bit of care and thought would have done to prevent the rot setting in

Can`t help but compare this to last years Palace "call me maybe" video.

I reckon it would have sold more season tickets for them than this one will for us.

Palace video - Young pretty girls probably doing it for nothing having a laugh.

Vision Video - People on 5/6 figure salaries boring us with the same old spin to buy season tickets to keep them in 5/6 figure salaries.

Feels like we have got rid of all of the indians and are left with too many chiefs.

"I won't be buying a season ticket until I am told exactly what next season will be about."

"I want the club to communicate with me, the fan, more on issues like the future, the stadia, the academy."

That's all we've heard. Frankly, I'm glad we have a more mature approach.

I agree... heard it all before... all this is, is a sales pitch for the season tickets...

Archived