IGNORED

Is Brian Tinnion Coming Back As Coach?

Scrumpy_247

I'm of a similar opinion. He certainly wasn't crap but he was not brilliant. His left foot should have been far better at crossing, corners and free kicks. It was good at slotting the ball inside the full back. It is no coincidence that his best performances came in the centre when he had players around him doin a lot of the leg work. His flat angled ball to the right was a joy to behold though.in the last 30 years id have players such as walsh smith and yes brown as better left sided wingers/midfielders and would have the likes of Newman Shelton and Andy May above him, even Tommy D.

I liked Tinnion. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes so won't comment although I also have heard rumours. I think he gets legend status due to the amount of games, so I guess may deserve it. But I think I have seen a few better midfielders than him. He certainly wasn't crap.

Good points, and well put TRL.

I must reiterate, however, that I've never used the word crap to describe him.

The word I used and will continue to use is overrated.

Good points, and well put TRL.

I must reiterate, however, that I've never used the word crap to describe him.

The word I used and will continue to use is overrated.

Apologies I didn't mean to infer you said he was crap. Judging by some of the responses to you, maybe you should :)

Apologies I didn't mean to infer you said he was crap. Judging by some of the responses to you, maybe you should :)

No worry TRL. It isn't a dig at you. Apologies if you thought it aimed at you.

It's just other forum readers want to have their say without actually reading the thread before hitting their keypads.

Why bother to ask then?

As it 'appens, I think Johnson is still a very one-dimensional manager. He has a one 'my way or the highway' style and that has worked at Yeovil and worked briefly at City. It didn't work at Posh or Northampton. He got rumbled very quickly at both clubs.

Irony Robbo, I wouldn't expect you to understand it where GJ is concerned

Thanks for your thoughts Ten Minutes of Rough.

I'm not digging, in fact there's no music playing in my house at the moment.

With regards to peoples views on Tinnion. They are opinions. As mine is, and as I've said umpteen times before.

It's a fact, that in my opinion, I've seen far better players playing for Bristol City Tinnion. Simple! Get over it!

Better managers (in my short time of watching City) and in no particular order:

Alan Dicks: Took City to the First Division.

Terry Cooper: Took over a club that was on it's knees. And turned us into winners with a group of youngsters and free transfers to start.

Joe Jordan: Continued where Mr Cooper left off. Debatable, but maybe the best fooballing City side I've been fortunate enough to watch.

Gary Johnson: Sorted out the mess he'd inherited, and put the Bristol City house in order.

John Ward: Got us to the Play offs, then got us promotion.

Denis Smith: Bought in Andy Cole! Fantastic football entertainment.

Danny Wilson: Improved our position year on year, and should've taken us to promotion glory on at least two occasions. Let down by his senior players (in my opinion) in the Brighton Final.

There are a few others who I thought were better managers:

Russell Osman: Never took to him. Signed some dross for City, but can't take away the fact that we were organised. Even if we didn't venture past the halfway line.

Bob Houghton: Never really had a chance at Ashton Gate. Took over from Alan Dicks, but the club were spiraling into crisis, and managed with tied hands.

Benny Lennartson: As above. Took over in difficult circumstances. Came in to assist, but thrust into the spotlight. Tried to play decent football however.Good coach.

Jimmy Lumsden: Again, followed in the massive steps of Joe Jordan. Played some fantastic football, and responsible for signing the great Dariuz Dziekanowski.

In fairness to Tinnion: Coppell and Pulis would come below him in my list.

Not sure about McInnes,

As for Mr O' Driscoll, lets hope for all our sakes, he becomes the most successful. We can't afford another change.

Hope this answers your question Ten minutes of rough.

He was only around for a few months and had more players sold under him like Bob H, but old Roy H should also be on your list. Both he and Bob went on to have/having very successful careers.

I particularly liked Bob Houghton probably because I thought he looked the business in his Malcolm Allison style fur coat!! At the time I thought we were certs for getting promoted back to the First Division. How funny is that now?!!! Then he left and the rather dour Hodgson took over. haha!

It was a few years ago now aizoon, and I'm not getting any younger, but I can't recall anyone sitting around me complaining about the team and substitutes when it was announced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the side & Squad Danny Wilson out that day was plenty good enough to win that day.

I didn't realise until I looked at the subs in the programme when we were getting nowhere after about half an hour. I knew we were doomed then. It simply hadn't occurred to me that DW would leave out our best striker; right up to that moment, I'd assumed he was on the bench.

Couple points:

-I personally attended Brian's Clifton college based soccer school before it folded and he was a top man and a great youth coach in terms of his approach and communication.

Secondly and MORE IMPORTANTLY

-I'm 'Facebook friends' with his step daughter and she this morning wrote a status about moving back to Bristol. (Screenshot on my twitter if you're unconvinced.. @benmarksson)

Couple points:

-I personally attended Brian's Clifton college based soccer school before it folded and he was a top man and a great youth coach in terms of his approach and communication.

Secondly and MORE IMPORTANTLY

-I'm 'Facebook friends' with his step daughter and she this morning wrote a status about moving back to Bristol. (Screenshot on my twitter if you're unconvinced.. @benmarksson)

She could be movin back for any reason. Doesn't mean shes moving with Tins.

Anyone follow his daughter on twitter (@nictinnion)? I remember a couple of times seeing her and Murray tweet each other and she replied to questions about tins from fans but has made her tweets private. Worth asking in my book!

He was only around for a few months and had more players sold under him like Bob H, but old Roy H should also be on your list. Both he and Bob went on to have/having very successful careers.

I particularly liked Bob Houghton probably because I thought he looked the business in his Malcolm Allison style fur coat!! At the time I thought we were certs for getting promoted back to the First Division. How funny is that now?!!! Then he left and the rather dour Hodgson took over. haha!

I thought about putting Mr Hodgson in, but if memory serves me right, he was only temporary.

And then I'd have a list longer than the longest list I've ever written.

Gerry Sharpe, The Three Amigo's, Tony Fawthrop and his pals (although he was FT I guess)

I didn't realise until I looked at the subs in the programme when we were getting nowhere after about half an hour. I knew we were doomed then. It simply hadn't occurred to me that DW would leave out our best striker; right up to that moment, I'd assumed he was on the bench.

Cripes Alive! When were programmes ever up to date!

Dare I ask, and not in a patronising way, can you remember when the half time scores used to be put up at Ashton Gate? with what appeared to be Tin numbers (much like the old fashion cricket scoreboards).

Cripes Alive! When were programmes ever up to date!

Dare I ask, and not in a patronising way, can you remember when the half time scores used to be put up at Ashton Gate? with what appeared to be Tin numbers (much like the old fashion cricket scoreboards).

And they used to walk them round the ground..

Remember it well.........

"This has only firmed up Houghton's intent never to work again in England, where his sole managerial job was at Bristol City for two seasons beginning in 1980. The experience left Houghton preferring to work abroad because: 'There the coach is the most important man at the club. When I worked at Bristol, I would've been better off being a bank manager, such was the time I had to spend on financial issues.'"

Archived