IGNORED

Is Brian Tinnion Coming Back As Coach?

Scrumpy_247

For those of you who've only been around here for five years or so, before his exile north of the border richieb and his brothers (arpaul and natcher iirc) had exactly the same sort of crush on Tinnion (and need to post about it every day) that Robbored had more recently on Gary Johnson. It was pretty poisonous stuff, full of the usual unfounded rumours that originated in the old man's drinking club, none of it proved and all of it damaging. This thread is a tiny little taster of that.

For what it's worth, if Tinnion's qualified and got lots of relevant experience coaching youth then he should be considered for a vacant role on his merit, not for an historic association with the club.

Nibor.

Has someone upset you?

The facts are plain and simple.

1) As a player I thought, and still think to this day he was over rated.

2) I was pro Danny Wilson. I didn't want Tinnion as manager. I thought he was the wrong man for the job.

I have no issues with him. I've never met him.

I attended his testimonial quiz night. As did Ricardo59, as did Natcher (and along with Tom we actually won!)

Now, if we had/have issues, why would we go?

I got banned from the forum during his managerial reign for calling him the "Peoples Chumpion"

My, My, I must've had issues!

How poisonous is that!!

Christ Alive!

Tinnion? According to my recollection, he wasn't bad but never great for the first few seasons. He had a falling out with the club/fans for a while, then came back. Late in his career he blossomed, was instrumental in midfield and showed real class.

As a manager he was a disaster.

Is that a fair summary?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I did attend his testimonial quiz night.

Will you confirm my previous comment about Tinnion refusing to acknowledge the help of the Supporters Club in putting on the function and for people giving up their time.? Or have you conveniently forgotten ?

Why would I have conveniently forgotten?

Tinnion did refuse to acknowledge anyone at the Quiz night by refusing to take the microphone I offered him. Not a word of thanks to me or any of the Supporters Club committee who spent pretty much an entire day of our own time organising and preparing the food for the event. Tinnion willinging accepted the 4 figure cheque that we raised for his benefit but his reputation took a serious knock.

That said - despite all that he was still a good player but like you I'm not sure he'd get into my all time City 11.

Tinnion? According to my recollection, he wasn't bad but never great for the first few seasons. He had a falling out with the club/fans for a while, then came back. Late in his career he blossomed, was instrumental in midfield and showed real class.

As a manager he was a disaster.

Is that a fair summary?

Bang on. Took a hell of a lot of stick at one point. Didn't a 'fan' spit in his wife's face one day in Bristol, or have I dreamt that up?

Sorry Chappers. I disagree.

Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton, Jimmy Mann, Gary Shelton, Bobby Hutchinson, Alan Walsh, Jantzen Derrick, Alan Skirton, Gerry Sharpe, Clive Whitehead, Mark Gavin, Dave Smith, Peter Cormack to name just thirteen!

Tinnion would not get into my all time City eleven. Wouldn't even make the bench.

That may be true in many people's eyes. Lets face it Brian played his career between second and Third Division, so to put him ahead of players that played at the highest level is probably a step to far...As it probably is for Shelton, Hutchinson, Walsh, Gavin and Smith...

However the opinion of most many of whom never saw Gow, Tainton, Mann Whitehead and Cormack is Brian was a very good player and deserves to be recognised as such for his era. Brian was easily our best player for long periods of his career with us and to be Frank our reliance on Brian at times made us a beatable by teams that were able to stop him. I would go as far as to say if we had Tinnion in his twenties playing last season we may have survived as he had the vision to make the ball that was needed....Something we have lacked since Hartley!

As for Wilson and Tinnion. Clearly there was antipathy, but to what extent Tinnion is implicated for the play off final loss is open to anyone who has a clue what went on, as all I know is we lost, due to a poor tackle by Coles, a forward line that could't get going and Lita wasn't even on the bench! BT didn't pick the side did he?

Everyone has the right to say what they think and everyone else has a right to disagree, but lets not keep on about ancient history because this club has finally found a forward gear and in my opinion employing Tinnion in a coaching role is not a backward step if he is the best man for the job!

"Danny Wilson: Improved our position year on year, and should've taken us to promotion glory on at least two occasions. Let down by his senior players (in my opinion) in the Brighton Final. "

So it was BT who left Lita out of the squad? Funny, I thought DW was the manager....

Everyone has the right to say what they think and everyone else has a right to disagree, but lets not keep on about ancient history because this club has finally found a forward gear and in my opinion employing Tinnion in a coaching role is not a backward step if he is the best man for the job!

Good points..

Everyone has a right to a view...

And it's good to see the club finding a forward gear, and its all looking positive for the future...

Only point I would disagree on is that history and those involved should be just that...

We want 'togetherness' - we want a fresh start.. Personally too much history with BT if he ever has or will be offered a role back at City.

"Danny Wilson: Improved our position year on year, and should've taken us to promotion glory on at least two occasions. Let down by his senior players (in my opinion) in the Brighton Final. "

So it was BT who left Lita out of the squad? Funny, I thought DW was the manager....

It was a few years ago now aizoon, and I'm not getting any younger, but I can't recall anyone sitting around me complaining about the team and substitutes when it was announced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the side & Squad Danny Wilson out that day was plenty good enough to win that day.

Good points..

Everyone has a right to a view...

And it's good to see the club finding a forward gear, and its all looking positive for the future...

Only point I would disagree on is that history and those involved should be just that...

We want 'togetherness' - we want a fresh start.. Personally too much history with BT if he ever has or will be offered a role back at City.

You may be right only time will tell. My position would be if Keith Burt and SoD think he is the man then it gets my vote.

The line from the two of them appears to be the way to build a club like ours is through players that have a deep seated association with the club and are not just drawing a wage

Please explain how you were correct about Johnson being a conference manager? Didn't he just get 'tiny' Yeovil into the Championship, and above City?

Actually, don't explain, I can't be arsed to hear it again

In defence of Robbo Red....... I think the current situation says more about our prolonged mismanagement of BCFC (up to now) rather than Gary Johnsons amazing skills as a manager.

Yes you cannot deny he has done it again but........ What is point?

Gary did lose the plot didn't he?

Why is until showing as ******* ?

UP THE CITY!

Please explain how you were correct about Johnson being a conference manager? Didn't he just get 'tiny' Yeovil into the Championship, and above City?

Actually, don't explain, I can't be arsed to hear it again

Why bother to ask then?

As it 'appens, I think Johnson is still a very one-dimensional manager. He has a one 'my way or the highway' style and that has worked at Yeovil and worked briefly at City. It didn't work at Posh or Northampton. He got rumbled very quickly at both clubs.

but mainly always being in Lansdown's ear whenever anything was a miss or something he disagreed with in releation to Wilson and telling the Chairman how he could do a better job, of course when Tinnion got the sack it was all everyone else's fault!

If you remember most of the wilson years we played great attacking footy, which resulted in manager 5-3, 4-3, 3-2's and not always in our favour, but in fairness there has never been entertainment like it since, in the last season, Wilson tried to do what Wigan had done the season before and grind out 1-0's, defend strongly and nick goals, Tommy Doc and Burnell in midfield etc.....people didn't like it but it was actually our most succesful season, however this defensive style plus the loss of Murray to Reading meant being stronger and tighter in midfield. Tinnion wasn't the star man anymore especially as we had brought in Luke Wilkshire who was twice the player of Tinnion, Tinnion would tell everyone and anyone how wrong Wilson's tactics were and publically.

He was the same under Benny, publically berating Benny not long after he came to City, bascially because Benny was different, ignore the fact that the bloke had coached at a higher level and with world class players with the Swedish National Team, Tinnion knew best and along with a few other senior players didn't respect him or listen to his views which would have actually benefitted them and results showed.

As you have copied Bowie's post from a thread a few weeks ago, I will copy my response to him in that thread as maybe you will surprise me and actually be able to factually back up some of the unsubstantiated allegations aimed at Tinnion.

'First of all, and rather unsurprisingly, you haven't really given any information as to how Tinnion 'undermined' Wilson other than stories of conversations with Lansdown that I assume you were present at?

However you really do ruin your argument when you start talking about the Football. Before the 11 game winning run that started just before Christmas we played some incredibly dull and turgid football with a central midfield that often had Doherty and Burnell in it. Of course you will argue that entertainment comes second to results and I would make you right, but where in the league were we when we began that run? 9th? 10th?

Burnell made 22 appearences for City that season and 19 of them were before December (and therefore the winning run that took us up the league). For you to suggest that he played some major role in a successful season while Tinnion was 'not the star man' would be totally incorrect. Having an argument about a season that is 9 years ago is a fairly hopeless task, but I remember Tinman having an excellent season and really hitting some superb form around the time of the 11 game run.

As for Luke Wilkhire, I really liked him and I without fail use him as an example of City not getting the best out of the talented players we have had over the years, but to suggest that he was twice the player of Tinnion for City (in particular in that season) would be completely wrong in my view.

I would also ask why if Tinman was so public and open in his criticisms of Danny in that season why did Wilson feel the need to pick him (at the age of 35/36) 53 times? This question would have even more relevance in the knowledge that you don't seem to rate him?'

Vastly overrated as a player,and completely out of his depth as a manager

Let's ******* hope not.

I thought the club was trying rid it's "job for the boys" tag

That's the biggest load of tripe I have ever seen on the forum.!!!If Yes didn't make a good manager but as a player was one of the best I have seen since 1959!!!

Idiot :facepalm:

One of the best players we've had in my 50+ years at the Gate. Go back to playing with your Xbox or whatever it is that you play with.

Sums it up why we've been so bad in recent years

50+ years! Comical

Above average 3rd division player.

Had better left wingers. Walsh, McIndoe

Had better midfielder in Hartley,

As other said, massively over-rated by many, spent 5-6 doing little but is remembered for his good 2-3 years under wilson

• Admin

It was a few years ago now aizoon, and I'm not getting any younger, but I can't recall anyone sitting around me complaining about the team and substitutes when it was announced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the side & Squad Danny Wilson out that day was plenty good enough to win that day.

I would say you were easily pleased then but clearly you aren't. I remember all the talk ore-kickoff around me was about the overly defensive team selection (Craig Woodman in midfield!?) and Wilson selecting not to have any strikers on the bench!

I would say you were easily pleased then but clearly you aren't. I remember all the talk ore-kickoff around me was about the overly defensive team selection (Craig Woodman in midfield!?) and Wilson selecting not to have any strikers on the bench!

In that case, I will bow to your greater memory.

That said, the team was still strong enough to succeed.

And in my opinion, I still believe Danny Wilson and some 35,000 City fans were let down by the senior players of that side.

Presume you are not a City fan or if you are then you need help.

Well thought out reply hortonred.

In short, and not wanting to keep repeating, but have supported City since 1968.. Season ticket holder since the mid 80's and visited in the region of 80 league grounds.

Please read the entire thread before offering us your well thought out opinion.

In that case, I will bow to your greater memory.

That said, the team was still strong enough to succeed.

And in my opinion, I still believe Danny Wilson and some 35,000 City fans were let down by the senior players of that side.

Exactly...

Vastly overrated as a player,and completely out of his depth as a manager

Let's ******* hope not.

I thought the club was trying rid it's "job for the boys" tag

You are way off the mark mate, way off!. Tins was a legend. Hate idiots like this posting ridiculous comments of this nature. It kind of makes you want to STOP logging onto the forum. What a complete idiot...

Presume you are not a City fan or if you are then you need help.

Great contribution...

It's the reasoning behind Arpauls passion that shows the fan he is..

The care that someone who was a so called 'legend' can try and disrupt the club.. Allegedly

That's the biggest load of tripe I have ever seen on the forum.!!!If Yes didn't make a good manager but as a player was one of the best I have seen since 1959!!!

That's fine cokneydave. That's your opinion.

My opinion differs to yours.

As a matter of interest, would he make your all time 11?

You are way off the mark mate, way off!. Tins was a legend. Hate idiots like this posting ridiculous comments of this nature. It kind of makes you want to STOP logging onto the forum. What a complete idiot...

Sorry tomo

I thought this was a forum where City supporters could voice opinions.

If I've offended, then fine. Don't log on.

Complete idiot? Thanks. Nothing like a bit of constructive Forum discussion.

Well done, and thanks for your well thought out input.

That's fine cokneydave. That's your opinion.

My opinion differs to yours.

As a matter of interest, would he make your all time 11?

I'm of a similar opinion. He certainly wasn't crap but he was not brilliant. His left foot should have been far better at crossing, corners and free kicks. It was good at slotting the ball inside the full back. It is no coincidence that his best performances came in the centre when he had players around him doin a lot of the leg work. His flat angled ball to the right was a joy to behold though.in the last 30 years id have players such as walsh smith and yes brown as better left sided wingers/midfielders and would have the likes of Newman Shelton and Andy May above him, even Tommy D.

I liked Tinnion. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes so won't comment although I also have heard rumours. I think he gets legend status due to the amount of games, so I guess may deserve it. But I think I have seen a few better midfielders than him. He certainly wasn't crap.

Sorry tomo

I thought this was a forum where City supporters could voice opinions.

If I've offended, then fine. Don't log on.

Complete idiot? Thanks. Nothing like a bit of constructive Forum discussion.

Well done, and thanks for your well thought out input.

:laugh:

Archived