IGNORED

Is Brian Tinnion Coming Back As Coach?

Scrumpy_247

Well can you post a link to this other thread? I havent seen it but would like to know the story

+1

I'm sure many haven't seen this and would like to know the source of some fans bitterness, then maybe fans won't be so hards on those whose opinion differs from their own regards BT, mind you that's if there is any semblance of fact and not just convoluted hearsay and bs.

Was it not something to do with Tins undermining the authority of Danny Wilson? or so the story goes.

That BT was a loyal servant to BCFC, overall, I do not believe can be questioned. He was a consistently good player who could truly effect a game especially in latter years coming off the bench.

Does that mean he should come back as a youth coach? If he has gained all his badges and can unearth some gems and learnt Spanish, properly, into the bargain he may be an asset. However, the big caveat is that will it sit comfortably with a large minority of City fans? I have my serious doubts and for that reason alone the City board may not be tempted if the story, in any case, has substance. On balance I think I would pass on such a recruitment.

I accept that tinns had a poor record as a manager. If he behaved as people say he did towards danny wilson ( and let's bear in mind that its a accusation. Nothings been proved) then he's not a perfect human being! If the board +sod think his talents as a youth coach make him worth bringing back then great. If not then great! Basically no ones talking about him coming back as manager. Their talking about a youth coaching job! + I'm not bothered either way! But to say he was a average player is ridiculous!

Oh look, Richie and his brother giving Tinnion a hard time. Obviously the bitterness doesn't go away with time.

Bitter? me ? Why?

My opinion is that Tinnion was vastly overrated as a player.

The greater good of Bristol City is my concern.

We are down. We have taken fall and regressed over the last five years.

We need to move forward, so why take a massive leap backwards in reappointing someone who failed us previously?

It has nothing to do with brothers uniting for Christs sake.

It's an opinion Screech, an O P I N I O N. get over it.

I liked Tinnion as a player. For most of his City career he was the most creative midfielder in the squad and he forged an almost telepathic relationship with Murray during his later days.

Arpaul is and always has been one-eyed when it comes to Tinnion and his value as a player. Despite logical argument he refuses to change his opinion of Tinnion. I respect that even thought I don't agree and rarely if ever mention Tinnion's name in Arpau'ls company which is pretty much every home game.

Tinnion was completely out of his depth as manager and his appointment was the cheap option at the time and ultimately a disaster. If his managerial ability is reflected in his coaching skills then he should stay in Spain.

Well can you post a link to this other thread? I havent seen it but would like to know the story

Some extracts from early thread:

yep, completely undermined Wilson especially in the final season (wasn't the first or the last City Manage he'd done that too, Ask Benny), which is ironic considering Tinnion the footballer BEFORE Danny Wilson and the player he became under Wilson

Tinnion was with us a very long time, but it was only those final few seasons under Wilson people remember, when Wilson came he pushed Tinnion more into Central midfield and he became the player many remember now, spraying balls all over the park, prior to that he'd done little since that Goal at Anfield, he was an average left winger who benefited from having some of our best ever Left Back's behind him in Martin Scott, Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell.

I recall when we got relegated under Jordan and he was trying to get a transfer, following a failed trial with Port Vale he came back to us with his tail between his legs.

But as ever people only remember the end, much like with Wilson people only remember the play-off final and ignore the "just like watching Brazil seasons"

Tinnion - Ok left winger, But No Alan Walsh

but mainly always being in Lansdown's ear whenever anything was a miss or something he disagreed with in releation to Wilson and telling the Chairman how he could do a better job, of course when Tinnion got the sack it was all everyone else's fault!

If you remember most of the wilson years we played great attacking footy, which resulted in manager 5-3, 4-3, 3-2's and not always in our favour, but in fairness there has never been entertainment like it since, in the last season, Wilson tried to do what Wigan had done the season before and grind out 1-0's, defend strongly and nick goals, Tommy Doc and Burnell in midfield etc.....people didn't like it but it was actually our most succesful season, however this defensive style plus the loss of Murray to Reading meant being stronger and tighter in midfield. Tinnion wasn't the star man anymore especially as we had brought in Luke Wilkshire who was twice the player of Tinnion, Tinnion would tell everyone and anyone how wrong Wilson's tactics were and publically.

He was the same under Benny, publically berating Benny not long after he came to City, bascially because Benny was different, ignore the fact that the bloke had coached at a higher level and with world class players with the Swedish National Team, Tinnion knew best and along with a few other senior players didn't respect him or listen to his views which would have actually benefitted them and results showed.

but mainly always being in Lansdown's ear whenever anything was a miss or something he disagreed with in releation to Wilson and telling the Chairman how he could do a better job, of course when Tinnion got the sack it was all everyone else's fault!

If you remember most of the wilson years we played great attacking footy, which resulted in manager 5-3, 4-3, 3-2's and not always in our favour, but in fairness there has never been entertainment like it since, in the last season, Wilson tried to do what Wigan had done the season before and grind out 1-0's, defend strongly and nick goals, Tommy Doc and Burnell in midfield etc.....people didn't like it but it was actually our most succesful season, however this defensive style plus the loss of Murray to Reading meant being stronger and tighter in midfield. Tinnion wasn't the star man anymore especially as we had brought in Luke Wilkshire who was twice the player of Tinnion, Tinnion would tell everyone and anyone how wrong Wilson's tactics were and publically.

He was the same under Benny, publically berating Benny not long after he came to City, bascially because Benny was different, ignore the fact that the bloke had coached at a higher level and with world class players with the Swedish National Team, Tinnion knew best and along with a few other senior players didn't respect him or listen to his views which would have actually benefitted them and results showed.

I liked Tinnion as a player. For most of his City career he was the most creative midfielder in the squad and he forged an almost telepathic relationship with Murray during his later days.

Arpaul is and always has been one-eyed when it comes to Tinnion and his value as a player. Despite logical argument he refuses to change his opinion of Tinnion. I respect that even thought I don't agree and rarely if ever mention Tinnion's name in Arpau'ls company which is pretty much every home game.

Tinnion was completely out of his depth as manager and his appointment was the cheap option at the time and ultimately a disaster. If his managerial ability is reflected in his coaching skills then he should stay in Spain.

Now Tinnion as a manager.......there was a 'conference' manager if there ever was one.....

Now Tinnion as a manager.......there was a 'conference' manager if there ever was one.....

Come on,

I don't think he was that good!

For those of you who've only been around here for five years or so, before his exile north of the border richieb and his brothers (arpaul and natcher iirc) had exactly the same sort of crush on Tinnion (and need to post about it every day) that Robbored had more recently on Gary Johnson. It was pretty poisonous stuff, full of the usual unfounded rumours that originated in the old man's drinking club, none of it proved and all of it damaging. This thread is a tiny little taster of that.

For what it's worth, if Tinnion's qualified and got lots of relevant experience coaching youth then he should be considered for a vacant role on his merit, not for an historic association with the club.

Think you should stop digging, the weight of evidence proving that you don't know your football is overwhelming.

Tinnion was recognised lauded as a excellent player by everyone in the game that knew a good player when they saw one.

I dread to think who you would list as the 'better' managers of this club.

Thanks for your thoughts Ten Minutes of Rough.

I'm not digging, in fact there's no music playing in my house at the moment.

With regards to peoples views on Tinnion. They are opinions. As mine is, and as I've said umpteen times before.

It's a fact, that in my opinion, I've seen far better players playing for Bristol City Tinnion. Simple! Get over it!

Better managers (in my short time of watching City) and in no particular order:

Alan Dicks: Took City to the First Division.

Terry Cooper: Took over a club that was on it's knees. And turned us into winners with a group of youngsters and free transfers to start.

Joe Jordan: Continued where Mr Cooper left off. Debatable, but maybe the best fooballing City side I've been fortunate enough to watch.

Gary Johnson: Sorted out the mess he'd inherited, and put the Bristol City house in order.

John Ward: Got us to the Play offs, then got us promotion.

Denis Smith: Bought in Andy Cole! Fantastic football entertainment.

Danny Wilson: Improved our position year on year, and should've taken us to promotion glory on at least two occasions. Let down by his senior players (in my opinion) in the Brighton Final.

There are a few others who I thought were better managers:

Russell Osman: Never took to him. Signed some dross for City, but can't take away the fact that we were organised. Even if we didn't venture past the halfway line.

Bob Houghton: Never really had a chance at Ashton Gate. Took over from Alan Dicks, but the club were spiraling into crisis, and managed with tied hands.

Benny Lennartson: As above. Took over in difficult circumstances. Came in to assist, but thrust into the spotlight. Tried to play decent football however.Good coach.

Jimmy Lumsden: Again, followed in the massive steps of Joe Jordan. Played some fantastic football, and responsible for signing the great Dariuz Dziekanowski.

In fairness to Tinnion: Coppell and Pulis would come below him in my list.

Not sure about McInnes,

As for Mr O' Driscoll, lets hope for all our sakes, he becomes the most successful. We can't afford another change.

Hope this answers your question Ten minutes of rough.

Idiot :facepalm:

One of the best players we've had in my 50+ years at the Gate. Go back to playing with your Xbox or whatever it is that you play with.

Me? an idiot?

From someone with a pet ****ing Hedgehog!! I've heard it all now.

Don't usually bit, but Tinnion over-rated??? Sorry mate, you are letting his lack of managerial quality cloud your judgement of his playing abilities. And he was most definitely two-footed, he balanced on his right foot whilst working magic with the left.

Sorry Chappers. I disagree.

Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton, Jimmy Mann, Gary Shelton, Bobby Hutchinson, Alan Walsh, Jantzen Derrick, Alan Skirton, Gerry Sharpe, Clive Whitehead, Mark Gavin, Dave Smith, Peter Cormack to name just thirteen!

Tinnion would not get into my all time City eleven. Wouldn't even make the bench.

There's a back story to this?

Ooh, ooooh, spill the beans!

Unfortunately Jordan Tansley, there is no back story! Sorry to disappoint.

There is an element of truth, however, in that Ricardo59 is in fact my brother. SHOCK! HORROR!!

The sad thing is that on a "Fans Forum" it's ok to be a lemming and follow the Happy Clapppys, but how very dare you have an alternative view!

I've been watching city since 1971 and he.d certainly be in the top 20 of city players in that time. People can criticise him as a manager ( although he was inexperienced and should never have taken the job) but to say he was overrates as a player is ridiculous. Why do some people on here have their personal agendas about people that their never prepared to let go!

I don't have a personal agenda timothy bird.

I happen to think that it would be a massive leap back if Tinnion were to be appointed into the coaching set up.

There's quite a few ex City players who, in my opinion, were/are overrated.

But as there names aren't discussed on here, it doesn't cause issues.

I am surprised that you'd have him in your top twenty City players, especially have watched City for so long.

I did notice, and interestingly enough he didn't make he first 11?

Unfortunately Jordan Tansley, there is no back story! Sorry to disappoint.

There is an element of truth, however, in that Ricardo59 is in fact my brother. SHOCK! HORROR!!

The sad thing is that on a "Fans Forum" it's ok to be a lemming and follow the Happy Clapppys, but how very dare you have an alternative view!

Don't I know it!

But I was right about Johnson as history shows but you're wrong about Tinnion as a player.

Arpaul, you've listed better City managers, but there's no suggestion of him returning as manager! If he's a good enough coach, then fair enough if he's brought in. I certainly remember him as a much better player though. Might not have scored many, but chipped in with loads of assists.

I accept that tinns had a poor record as a manager. If he behaved as people say he did towards danny wilson ( and let's bear in mind that its a accusation. Nothings been proved) then he's not a perfect human being! If the board +sod think his talents as a youth coach make him worth bringing back then great. If not then great! Basically no ones talking about him coming back as manager. Their talking about a youth coaching job! + I'm not bothered either way! But to say he was a average player is ridiculous!

Again timothy bird. everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

Robbored.

It's an opinion. It will not change. I will not change.

My argument is as always and unchanged. Many a better player has worn the red of Bristol City.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I did attend his testimonial quiz night.

Will you confirm my previous comment about Tinnion refusing to acknowledge the help of the Supporters Club in putting on the function and for people giving up their time.? Or have you conveniently forgotten ?

For those of you who've only been around here for five years or so, before his exile north of the border richieb and his brothers (arpaul and natcher iirc) had exactly the same sort of crush on Tinnion (and need to post about it every day) that Robbored had more recently on Gary Johnson. It was pretty poisonous stuff, full of the usual unfounded rumours that originated in the old man's drinking club, none of it proved and all of it damaging. This thread is a tiny little taster of that.For what it's worth, if Tinnion's qualified and got lots of relevant experience coaching youth then he should be considered for a vacant role on his merit, not for an historic association with the club.

Nibor - it's been a while....?

I forgot that this forum had certain posters that failed to allow 'freedom of speech'

Any posts are opinions based on how a supporter feels, and never a case of poisonous vitriol.

Much of what is discussed is based on rumour, hearsay and when stories confirmed - fact.

Personally I trusted my sources on the historic background, and for this reason I believe it was right to be discussed on a forum..

Your comments on this thread are interesting as its good to know that 'ghost of Tinnion' was discussed in great detail man years back.

And again I will say, IMHO someone who 'allegedly' was a disruptive influence under certain managers should not be back at this club.

Even if he has gained certain qualifications.

Ts important to point out that as a club we are trying t remove the historic culture that has been our failure over many seasons.

This under many managers.

So with SOD refreshing the coaching staff, I would be concerned if we brought back a 'failed manager' back into the fold......

Even if it is somewhere in the Academy.

Don't I know it!

But I was right about Johnson as history shows but you're wrong about Tinnion as a player.

Please explain how you were correct about Johnson being a conference manager? Didn't he just get 'tiny' Yeovil into the Championship, and above City?

Actually, don't explain, I can't be arsed to hear it again

You're welcome to your freedom of speech Richie, though what you post on a forum is constrained by law and the owners of the forum.

I'm free to point out the vendetta for what it was, that doesn't impinge in any way on your right to make up and/or circulate damaging nonsense!

Have at it :)

You're welcome to your freedom of speech Richie, though what you post on a forum is constrained by law and the owners of the forum.I'm free to point out the vendetta for what it was, that doesn't impinge in any way on your right to make up and/or circulate damaging nonsense!Have at it :)

Vendetta...? Damaging nonsense...?

So can you confirm that all that was discussed didn't happen...?

Nibor, you make out that I am a villein in the while Tinnion debate... I took part in a debate that I firmly believe had a serious impact on this club.. Not just over the events v. BHA..

I apologise if I have ever had a concern over something that really upset my feelings for this great club....

So please reel that neck in and leave the vitriol out of the debate....

Archived