IGNORED

Paul Trollope And Keith Millen

Now both PL assistant managers. To think just 3 years ago they were the managers of us and the sags. They've done alright. No real point to this thread, just pointing it out.

Difference between those two is Trollope should of never been sacked.

Paul Trollope always seemed a decent manager. The impatience and big ideas of the other lot cut short his reign. Or was it just the unseen magic of Lennie Lawrence?

As for Millen, well, he'll rank with Tinnion as the worst manager I've known at the club. Surely there is no more damning evidence than trying to convert Marvin Elliot into an attacking midfielder. Oh and making Cole Skuse captain too. Absolute madness.

Paul Trollope always seemed a decent manager. The impatience and big ideas of the other lot cut short his reign. Or was it just the unseen magic of Lennie Lawrence?

As for Millen, well, he'll rank with Tinnion as the worst manager I've known at the club. Surely there is no more damning evidence than trying to convert Marvin Elliot into an attacking midfielder. Oh and making Cole Skuse captain too. Absolute madness.

Trollope took them to mid table in league one and a cup quarter final. Look where they are now!

Harsh comparing Millen to Tinnion.

Tinnion made a play-off final team push for relegation

Millen kept us in the championship twice, also brought in the likes of Pitman, Stead and Bolaise

Harsh comparing Millen to Tinnion.

Tinnion made a play-off final team push for relegation

Millen kept us in the championship twice, also brought in the likes of Pitman, Stead and Bolaise

Tinnion missed the play-offs in his first season in charge (04-05) by 3 points if I recall correctly. Lansdown did not allow him to sign an experienced number 2 .... he had to make do with Millen.

Tinnion hardly had the team pushing for relegation - he was sacked after a 7-1 defeat away at Swansea that was barely 1/4 of the way into the season.

Tinnion should always be viewed as a legend here ..... a bit of luck and a hardman no.2 and things could have worked out differently.

Pulis and McInnes were just as bad. Making Fontaine captain is madness in McInnes case.

Ffs!

Millen never had a real chance at City because of his previous relationship with Johnson. In fact that why he was so reluctant to accept the job first time around.

Millen has done well at Palace and if he was so crap he wouldn't have walked into another job after he was sacked by City. Next season he'll be in the PL. Not bad for a duffer.

Tinnion missed the play-offs in his first season in charge (04-05) by 3 points if I recall correctly. Lansdown did not allow him to sign an experienced number 2 .... he had to make do with Millen.

Tinnion hardly had the team pushing for relegation - he was sacked after a 7-1 defeat away at Swansea that was barely 1/4 of the way into the season.

Tinnion should always be viewed as a legend here ..... a bit of luck and a hardman no.2 and things could have worked out differently.

Incorrect, Wilson's final season was the 2005 season where we missed out on the play-offs, hence he was then sacked and Tinman appointed. Who then signed the likes of Grant Smith, Michael Bridges, and Marcus Stewart, and by November/December, we found ourselves rock bottom.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11726_2301249,00.html

Ffs!

Millen never had a real chance at City because of his previous relationship with Johnson. In fact that why he was so reluctant to accept the job first time around.

Millen has done well at Palace and if he was so crap he wouldn't have walked into another job after he was sacked by City. Next season he'll be in the PL. Not bad for a duffer.

Oooh I irked the sage. That's pleasing in itself. I wonder Robbo, do you recall posting that you had a sixth sense that KM was going to be great success as manager for our club? I remember it well.

Millen never had a chance? And the reason he failed was because of Gary Johnson? Go on admit it, that's what you're getting at isn't it?

Incorrect, Wilson's final season was the 2005 season where we missed out on the play-offs, hence he was then sacked and Tinman appointed. Who then signed the likes of Grant Smith, Michael Bridges, and Marcus Stewart, and by November/December, we found ourselves rock bottom.

Wilson's last game was in May 2004 at the end of the 03/04 season.

When was the last time a city player got 8 goals from midfield?

When was the last time a city player got 8 goals from midfield?

Marv also got 6 in the 2007-08 season playing a defensive role. The point I'm making is that Elliott was always a defensive midfielder suited to chasing and harassing. Most of his goals come from corners or crosses anyway. Millen tried to play him in a more advanced role, which failed woefully. It only highlighted the poor fellow's lack of passing and lack of judgement going forward. The main reason he improved again this season is because SOD had the sense to see what he could do best.

Pulis and McInnes were just as bad. Making Fontaine captain is madness in McInnes case.

Pullis McInness Tinnion Millen Coppell were all poor to awful managers for this club

Wilson was/is not a lucky man and GJ was a great motivator that lost the dressing room when he fell out with Basso, however both these guys did enough to deserve our respect and thanks!

You are incorrect!

The link in your post to Sky Sports refers to what happened within days of the play off final defeat to Brighton in May 2004. I was shocked when Wilson left his words after the play off being, as I recall, "defeat is not failure". He had after all improved on his finishing positions in each of his seasons in charge.

Check your stats for 04-05 ! The critical game was Chesterfield at home - Millen substituted Tinns, god knows why the latter alllowed him to do so.

Tinnion did sign some crap in summer 05 and the 7-1 defeat at Swansea was his final game. Johnson's first was Brentford away a 3-2 win followed not long after by 9 straight defeats in the aftermath of the "hand grenade" incident!

Check your stats for 04-05 ! The critical game was Chesterfield at home - Millen substituted Tinns, god knows why the latter alllowed him to do so.

Wasn't that the season that Miller missed a penalty at Swindon that condemned us to the play offs?

Wasn't that the season that Miller missed a penalty at Swindon that condemned us to the play offs?

Swindon away saw Miller miss a simple headed chance and then the lanky git Rory Fallon scored their winner. I don't remember Miller missing a PEN.

Pullis McInness Tinnion Millen Coppell were all poor to awful managers for this club

Wilson was/is not a lucky man and GJ was a great motivator that lost the dressing room when he fell out with Basso, however both these guys did enough to deserve our respect and thanks!

Agree with the poor managers list but got to disagree on Wilson. He oversaw a heavy drinking culture at the club and a team of unfit players. The play-off game as we all know was lost due to poor team selection not poor luck.

Pretty sure that when Tinnion was appointed Marcus Stewart was a done deal. Can remember attending a club event and TinMan looking less than thrilled with the appointment. He also started the process of clearing out aforesaid unfit players.

So whilst I supported Danny Wilson at the time, looking back I don't feel grateful to him. GJ on the other hand united the club and delivered great games. Very grateful for his time here.

Ffs!

One is not comparing apples for apples old boy. You should know full well there is a gargantuan difference between 'hiding' in the number 2 role and taking the full flak as a number 1. Holloway's record with or without Millie is good. I am sure Millen is also good, in his own way, and useful to the team but Holloway could pick 50 or so assistants and the end result would be the same. He chose Millen because he knows him and likes him.

Maybe we can turn out managers, maybe we can also bring on assistants, but probably not to manage or assist at our club. Too close to home it seems.

I firmly believe that neither Tinnion or Millen should have been given the managers role, stay as number 2 at best or preferably leave the club and take on that role or even a managers job elsewhere. Put some distance from being a past player between a management role.

I remember being at the Fans Derby and there were strong rumours that Tinnion was going to be named manager, I dismissed as utter rubbish, a wind up as it just seemed so unlikely and crazy. Suddenly straight after the match there was Tinnion holding up a Gaffer city shirt. I just thought it was madness. I loved him as a player but had the gut feeling it was just so wrong (at this time) for him to be manager of BCFC.

He was like in a kid in a sweet shop regarding his signings, grabbing almost everything that moved, and some that certainly didn't! Wasn't it him with the Magnificent Seven, says it all really.

Saying that, those images of him sat in the dug out after Swansea was one of the saddest BCFC photos I have seen. I met him at the last home game of the season previous to this happening (I was the PL winner) He seemed he was swimming against the tide even then, he very much seemed to be trying to convince himself he could do a job in the next season. He told me about problems with players drinking and how it affected their comeback from injury and how he was tackling this. He was very honest and I did actually feel sorry for him, he seemed a genuinely nice bloke but didn't radiate confidence which surprised me somewhat. Little did we know that only a couple of months later he would be sat in that Swansea dug out.

As for Millen, surely he never wanted the job. He was happy being a number 2 and not having to take the responsibility. I remember him commenting at the time how different the roles were and how his phone was ringing 24/7 with stuff he had to deal with, agents etc, which he hadn't done previously. Someone at the club persuaded him to take the role permanently after previously choosing Coppell over him, that was a very wrong decision for all concerned, as we are still feeling now.

He chose Millen because he knows him and likes him.

Precisely, Millen made no secret of his great friendship with Hollowhead even while he was City manager. It's very common in football for jobs to go to friends rather than necessarily the best available candidate, and this certainly seems to have been the case when the two linked up at Palace.

Millen should have left AG when GJ took over. It was a big surprise at the time that he was kept on and not replaced by GJ's previous successful assistant at Yeovil, Thompson. It seemed KM staying on was part of the deal offered to GJ, whether he initially particularly liked it or not, and SL had a real determination that KM should remain at the club, even then with a long term vision of him eventually becoming manager.

Difference between those two is Trollope should of never been sacked.

Yes he should.

Boring football and bottom four (I think) when he left. We had a big budget at the time and it wasn't being utilised well.

He struggled without LL, and replacing Elliot and Disley with Tunniclife and Blizzard, as well as failing to replace Lambert was ultimately his downfall.

Millen was a laughable appointment for you lot, as I posted on here at the time.

Archived