IGNORED

Brian Coming Back

leadman

If there's a position available, they've advertised it, interviewed the candidates, and Sean O'Driscoll has decided Tinman is not only the best man for the job, but someone he's keen to work with, then I don't see a problem.

I'm assuming it's the managers' decision? :dunno:

If there's a position available, they've advertised it, interviewed the candidates, and Sean O'Driscoll has decided Tinman is not only the best man for the job, but someone he's keen to work with, then I don't see a problem.

Agreed. Don't see a problem either.

I would imagine its SoD's decision. I can't see why it wouldn't be.

As I mentioned, it was something I though I read a while ago. Never have hard evidence. Having looked at the link provided I stand corrected. It does look more like a day care centre. So I does bring into question whether he is qualified enough to e a good u-21 coach. However, it would be good to see one of our legends back at the club in some capacity

Agreed.

Many of my mates are angry at the thought of his return and i appreciate why they have that opinion but im confidant now with SOD at the helm if Tinnions the best man for the job then he deserves it & all of our backing. Speaking to people inside the club i get the impression that SOD is our Arsene Wenger - everything passes through him & he has the final say?!?!

Andy ,genuine question.What do you think are the negatives to Tinnion coming back.Why do you think he will not be able to do a good job in that position?

I am a big believer in never going back. Things obviously happened when Tinnion was here, theres no smoke without fire. Whether he was the two faced sly dog some make out, or whether it was a case of like anyone does when they are in a job for to long, they get to comfortable and find themselves in a position where they can have more influence then they should.

Stories of being in Lansdowns ear....again, no smoke without fire and do we really need to run the risk of this happening again say, 18 months down the line?

Why cant we just have a clean start, with completely new staff. I find it hard to believe he is the only man out there good enough to take our academy forward.

We did it with Gary Owers a couple of seasons back....I just dont get why we keep doing it.

If were starting from scratch....please, lets start from scratch and get some new personalities in the club

According to the BEP - or whatever it's called now:

"Tinnion has established a number of hugely successful soccer schools both in this country and in Spain since leaving the club nearly eight years ago.

A tracksuit coach with a reputation for identifying and nurturing young talent, the Geordie is eminently qualified to work with City's Under-21s and, should he return to Ashton Gate, his presence would allow Alex Russell to focus on the Under-18s in the future."

Just sayin ...

A soccer school is nothing. It is not an academy.

They used to run these things called 'Soccer Works' during half terms, they were soccer schools. I used to come back with loads of trophies and medals after a week long course, and I was crap. Don't be fooled...

I am a big believer in never going back. Things obviously happened when Tinnion was here, theres no smoke without fire. Whether he was the two faced sly dog some make out, or whether it was a case of like anyone does when they are in a job for to long, they get to comfortable and find themselves in a position where they can have more influence then they should.

Stories of being in Lansdowns ear....again, no smoke without fire and do we really need to run the risk of this happening again say, 18 months down the line?

Why cant we just have a clean start, with completely new staff. I find it hard to believe he is the only man out there good enough to take our academy forward.

We did it with Gary Owers a couple of seasons back....I just dont get why we keep doing it.

If were starting from scratch....please, lets start from scratch and get some new personalities in the club

Exactly

The job Tinnion did as No.1 is completely different to what he is reported to be coming back to do. SOD has taken considerable time over the last few months to set out his philosophies and beliefs and to me they seem sound and based on some deep rooted principles. I find it difficult to believe that he would take a big gamble on appointing someone he felt could n't do the job.

Jobs for the boys? When has Tinnion ever been one of SOD's boys? Time will tell but to write Tinnion off at this stage is ridiculous.

A soccer school is nothing. It is not an academy.

They used to run these things called 'Soccer Works' during half terms, they were soccer schools. I used to come back with loads of trophies and medals after a week long course, and I was crap. Don't be fooled...

It's not just a half term soccer school, it had teams in the Spanish leagues at U11 and U15, he had a link with Everton which gave them first option on players and some of them went across - not sure whether they were ever signed. He was also scouting La Liga for Everton whilst out there.

All that information from a quick google search.....

Oh, and welcome back Brian. No issue for me regardless of what may or may not have happened in the past.

It's not just a half term soccer school, it had teams in the Spanish leagues at U11 and U15, he had a link with Everton which gave them first option on players and some of them went across - not sure whether they were ever signed. He was also scouting La Liga for Everton whilst out there.

All that information from a quick google search.....

Oh, and welcome back Brian. No issue for me regardless of what may or may not have happened in the past.

Yes but as mentioned not in a professional capacity. Any kids dad can be manager of a kids team.

If it was really 'highly successful' would he be coming back?

I share your concerns. Can only hope Lansdown and Tinnion have both 'learnt lessons' from what went on previously and that SOD won't take any shit.

In fairness to Tinnion he was never going to be popular with certain players at the club when he started to weed out the shambolic drinking culture that was happening under Wilson. That professionalism should put him in good stead under SOD.

The job Tinnion did as No.1 is completely different to what he is reported to be coming back to do. SOD has taken considerable time over the last few months to set out his philosophies and beliefs and to me they seem sound and based on some deep rooted principles. I find it difficult to believe that he would take a big gamble on appointing someone he felt could n't do the job.

Jobs for the boys? When has Tinnion ever been one of SOD's boys? Time will tell but to write Tinnion off at this stage is ridiculous.

I think you are deliberately missing the whole point of the term 'jobs for the boys', whatever happened to the days when the best candidate gets the job, I would be far happier with this appointment had Tinnion gone away and plied his trade at another league club and built up some sort of reputation that would hold water on his CV, it is yet another gamble, end of.

Yes but as mentioned not in a professional capacity. Any kids dad can be manager of a kids team.

If it was really 'highly successful' would he be coming back?

Don't know mate, don't much care either Tbh. Was just pointing out it wasn't quite the two bob holiday school you were making out. Can't have been that bad if players were being discussed and sent to Everton.

Sean O'Driscoll clearly okay with it, what's the problem? He has no less pedigree that Alex Russell and people are happy with him aren't they?

I think you are deliberately missing the whole point of the term 'jobs for the boys', whatever happened to the days when the best candidate gets the job, I would be far happier with this appointment had Tinnion gone away and plied his trade at another league club and built up some sort of reputation that would hold water on his CV, it is yet another gamble, end of.

And how do you know it's a "jobs for the boys" appointment?

Are you basing that purely on the fact that he is an ex player & manager so making an assumption that must be the case?

How do you know he wasn't the best candidate?

Are you not aware of his academy out there that not only develops new youth but helps pros that have lost their way and get them back into the system. I believe Tristan Plummer went there and is plying his trade abroad now.

All this in mind, he will have gained numerous contacts and links out in Spain which is never a bad thing and having a link to his academy would almost be like a direct feeder club to our academy.

It can only be a positive thing

Let us hope then that if this academy of which you speak is so successful he does not abandon it for a youth coaching role at Ashton Gate. I.e. I'd hate to think he came back and tried to toggle both jobs to keep his Academy going but it faltered as a result and so did his job here. On the other hand if he comes back and dispenses with his responsibility of running the academy or shuts it then perhaps it was not so successful after all.

I wish the guy well, don't get me wrong. It will be interesting what arrangement he makes however.

p.s. I am pre-supposing you are right and that it is 'his academy'.

And how do you know it's a "jobs for the boys" appointment?

Are you basing that purely on the fact that he is an ex player & manager so making an assumption that must be the case?

How do you know he wasn't the best candidate?

Firstly I was replying to the other persons interpretation of 'job for boys' and secondly please show me where I actually said his appointment a job for the boys and thirdly the job was not as far as I am aware ever advertised so we will never know who the best candidate was and fourthly try actually reading posts before making silly statements.

Firstly I was replying to the other persons interpretation of 'job for boys' and secondly please show me where I actually said his appointment a job for the boys and thirdly the job was not as far as I am aware ever advertised so we will never know who the best candidate was and fourthly try actually reading posts before making silly statements.

Ha! I thought you implied it when you said

"whatever happened to the days when the best candidate gets the job"

So sorry being silly and getting the wrong end of the stick Esmond!! I'll go and sit on the naughty step.

I have no reason to believe that better candidates were available but the club decided they wanted Tinnion instead.

Ha! I thought you implied it when you said

"whatever happened to the days when the best candidate gets the job"

So sorry being silly and getting the wrong end of the stick Esmond!! I'll go and sit on the naughty step.

I have no reason to believe that better candidates were available but the club decided they wanted Tinnion instead.

No probs, but as for your last sentence I repeat we will never know, as it was never advertised, but yes the 'club' did decide that they wanted him. I believe it is yet another gamble at our club, he has no experience of running/coaching an academy for a league club in fact apart from his disastrous stint as manager he has no experience of coaching at a league club.

But if it works hey ho, his biggest problem is really he dosen't actually have much of a yardstick to live up to, so any improvement will be a 100% improvement, so if he fails my god he must be bad.

Archived