IGNORED

City In The Top Flight

Cap flinger

Highlights were the Arsenal, Liverpool and Coventry games in the first season. There have been many descriptions of these games on here and none could exaggerate just how fantastic these games were to witness as a Bristol City fan..

I had a friend who drove to all the away matches and we took all the famous grounds for granted really. We didn't really arrange away games, I used to be woken up at 8.30 every other Saturday with a knock at the door - or my Mum answered it anyway - 'You coming to Anfield, Villa Park, Goodison, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford, Maine Road etc? 'Yeah OK, give me 5 minutes' and after picking up a few others a few hours later we were in a pub sampling the local ale and atmosphere near one of these famous grounds.

You didn't need a ticket in advance, you just turned up, and to remain incognito ( you were under extreme threat at many away grounds) we'd often go in the first turnstile we could find rather than look lost and attract attention. No real problems except at Old Trafford for a night match when we immediately realised we were in the worst possible section in the ground and although we kept very quiet, were sussed out and attacked as soon as we got outside.

There were many dull home games in the 4 seasons - 1-0 home defeats to the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Sunderland etc. in front of 15-16k but there was always a great atmosphere from the EE and the older mob in the Park End and just about every home game you would witness numerous evictions from the ground and hundreds of rival fans charging about in the park afterwards as the police on horses struggled to keep any sort of control. The incursions from the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham were eagerly anticipated by a very large City reception committtee in the open bit of the EE as you came in and brawling broke out on numerous occasions as the crowd were still trying to file in.

One thing you could rely on was the crowd, and the players, would always rise to the occasion - 40,000 plus estimated to be in AG for the Liverpool game in the first season ( officially 38,000 capacity but many more got in) and being in the EE that day was similar to a City game I watched at Anfield from the middle of the Kop - you simply couldn't move. Looking to our left even the Enclosure was a constantly surging mass of fans.

We also had a team of genuine heroes who never gave up, a team you were genuinely proud to support, and if you wonder why older fans might be particularly disgusted and disenchanted by the efforts of so many of our team last season, it's because we have a fantastic team who genuinely cared about BCFC and playing for the fans to compare them to.

I'm a bit older than Graham and I don't expect to see days like that again either. Even if we go up again one day, football, and the stadiums, have changed so much it could never compare with the excitement and atmosphere of watching Bristol City in the top flight in the 70's.

what a brilliant post , sums up those days perfectly, you had to be there to know , great stuff !

first game for me was leyton orient,67 dad took me down,front of the enclosuer.

orient players were swearing,and got a rollocking from the women there!

imagine that now,bristol girls tell bloke off for swearing!

oh and we won 2.0 and we played in all red.

Sorry to be pedantic mate, but it must have been '66, they went down that year so wouldn't have played them in '67.

I've still not shagged an oriental, that's one that's not been ticked off my list yet

.....a visit to to Thailand and you'll get to tick that box - Phucket or Bangkok beckons? I remember City in the Top Flight of English football as if it were yesterday. Remembering the now mighty Chelsea get relegated in 1979 with just 20 points seems almost surreal.

Spud sounds a bit too good for us mortals! I can do backspin but have no idea when it's going to happen or why. It usually envolves a bunker or a bleeding lake!! :grr:

My brother in law was a hopeless player a few years ago and my dad, his mate, the brother in law and myself went to Mangotsfield for a boxing day hack. The bros score card was 10, 10, 1, 11! It was very wet and the ball actually broke the cup as it went straight in!
He scored 141 but still paid in the bar!

EDIT: He's actually pretty good now, a perfect example of improving with practice.

Middlesboro?

Edit: My little red book says

26 Nov 1978 City 4 (Royle 11,27, 59, 83) Boro 1 (Mills 43) Att. 20,536

City Team : Shaw, Sweeney, Merrick, Gow, Collier, Hunter, Tainton Ritchie, Royle, Gillies, Whitehead*
* Sub (singular!!) Cormack

"Joe Royle's remarkable debut nearly doesn't happen as, following a mix up over transfer forms, he is only cleared to play on the morning of the match. Four goals from four chances, a header followed by a right-footed effort, then two left-footers, guarantees him instant cult status"

Can't remember too much about the First division days , I was only 7 the year we went up !

Remember playing Spurs at Ashton Gate when they had Ardiles and Villa playing for them, it was all kicking off in the East End when we walked in.

My first away game was Crystal Palace. Pretty sure Joe Royle scored that day and John Shaw saved 2 penalties? Anyone else there that day?

My first away game was Crystal Palace. Pretty sure Joe Royle scored that day and John Shaw saved 2 penalties? Anyone else there that day?

Again from my little red book:

"20th Oct 1979

Palace 1 (Cannon 79 pen) City 1 (Royle 67)

Att. 27,499

Vince Hilaire robs City of both points with a theatrical fall that gives Palace a controversial second penalty, 27 minutes after Shaw had saved Mike Flanagan's earlier effort. Royles goal, which is brilliantly lobbed over the advancing John Burridge, is deserving of being a winner"

Mike Flanagan now does the comedy circuit discussing whether John Shaw kept his penalty out or "out" out

Can't remember too much about the First division days , I was only 7 the year we went up !

Remember playing Spurs at Ashton Gate when they had Ardiles and Villa playing for them, it was all kicking off in the East End when we walked in.

I saw both of those games, glyn.

Think Spurs beat us 3-1 (expect slarti will correct me if they didn't!). Recent World Cup winner Ricardo Villa in particular being outstanding on a rock hard, almost frozen pitch.

The Palace game proved they haven't only been serially diving for penalties this season, Vince Hilaire dived twice and won two of them, one of which was saved by John Shaw, but not the second.

I saw both of those games, glyn.

Think Spurs beat us 3-1 (expect slarti will correct me if they didn't!). Recent World Cup winner Ricardo Villa in particular being outstanding on a rock hard, almost frozen pitch.

The Palace game proved they haven't only been serially diving for penalties this season, Vince Hilaire dived twice and won two of them, one of which was saved by John Shaw, but not the second.

We did lose 3-1 at home, BUT (there's allways a but) the one I remember when it was a rock hard skating rink was New Year '79 which finished 0-0 . Every body looked like Bambi on ice EXEPT Ricky Villa, he was majestic not a foot wrong, MOM by a country mile !

We did lose 3-1 at home, BUT (there's allways a but) the one I remember when it was a rock hard skating rink was New Year '79 which finished 0-0 . Every body looked like Bambi on ice EXEPT Ricky Villa, he was majestic not a foot wrong, MOM by a country mile !

Yep, that's how I also remember it!

I thought the Leeds game that was abandoned at HT was 1-1. I have this memory of a mighty roar from the East end (I was in the Park end) and Tom Ritchie appearing out of the fog, arms aloft to be met by another roar.

Can anyone help me out?

I thought the Leeds game that was abandoned at HT was 1-1. I have this memory of a mighty roar from the East end (I was in the Park end) and Tom Ritchie appearing out of the fog, arms aloft to be met by another roar.

Can anyone help me out?

I was in the Park End that day, dont remember seing you tho ! :facepalm: one thing that does stick in my mind

was a lot of handbags after the game, Annie and her ontourage attacking a leeds minibus stuck in traffic

by the bogs near wedlocks ( the Star aswas)

Slarti - your memory is amazing!

More chance of me getting a hole in one (I went round Stinchcombe Hill in 174 a few weeks ago, I kid you not!) than seeing City in the top flight

I did once bowl a former Pakistani schoolboy cricket captain out to 'the best ball I've ever faced'. That will have to do for me I think

Ha ha, no, not THAT amazing, try asking me about anything that happened last season or the season before-wouldn't have a clue!

I think it was because (to quote Dylan) I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now !

You may be on to something there.....ask me about the 1-0 win over Chester in Jan 1989 on a cold Tuesday night and I have far more recollection than anything from the last couple of seasons. Doesn't say much for the last couple of seasons I guess!

jan 1990

promotion season

they had about 3 fans

honestly

Ha, thought it might have been the year after.....I have a confession to make on this.........it was more like 12 fans, and I was one of them. I'd been nicked during a game in the December and had been banned for the rest of the season. I was told that my pic was going to be on every turnstile in the place (high tech stuff in those days!) so I went in with the Chester fans that night......

Archived