IGNORED

City In The Top Flight

Cap flinger

I seem to remember Chris Garland once rounding the keeper then getting down on his hands and knees and heading the ball into the net-probably the most extraordinary goal I've seen -anyone else remember that?

Yes. I was in the open end that day. It was against the gash in the Gloucester cup - think we won 5-0?

Watched City in the top flight and have had 3 holes in one. 2 at Chipping Sodbury and 1 at Saltford. Thank goodness i had insurance for the bar bill on all of them.

I've also played Golf with Tiger Woods at Wentworth and many other top pros in Pro Ams... unfortunately i don't get the opportuity to do that anymore.

If any City fans go to any pro ams always go and have a chat with Lee Westwood...big Notts Forest fan and will have plenty of banter with you...top bloke who will give you time.

I seem to remember Chris Garland once rounding the keeper then getting down on his hands and knees and heading the ball into the net-probably the most extraordinary goal I've seen -anyone else remember that?

against the sags, if memory serves me right he got a bollocking for it !

Highlights were the Arsenal, Liverpool and Coventry games in the first season. There have been many descriptions of these games on here and none could exaggerate just how fantastic these games were to witness as a Bristol City fan..

I had a friend who drove to all the away matches and we took all the famous grounds for granted really. We didn't really arrange away games, I used to be woken up at 8.30 every other Saturday with a knock at the door - or my Mum answered it anyway - 'You coming to Anfield, Villa Park, Goodison, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford, Maine Road etc? 'Yeah OK, give me 5 minutes' and after picking up a few others a few hours later we were in a pub sampling the local ale and atmosphere near one of these famous grounds.

You didn't need a ticket in advance, you just turned up, and to remain incognito ( you were under extreme threat at many away grounds) we'd often go in the first turnstile we could find rather than look lost and attract attention. No real problems except at Old Trafford for a night match when we immediately realised we were in the worst possible section in the ground and although we kept very quiet, were sussed out and attacked as soon as we got outside.

There were many dull home games in the 4 seasons - 1-0 home defeats to the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Sunderland etc. in front of 15-16k but there was always a great atmosphere from the EE and the older mob in the Park End and just about every home game you would witness numerous evictions from the ground and hundreds of rival fans charging about in the park afterwards as the police on horses struggled to keep any sort of control. The incursions from the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham were eagerly anticipated by a very large City reception committtee in the open bit of the EE as you came in and brawling broke out on numerous occasions as the crowd were still trying to file in.

One thing you could rely on was the crowd, and the players, would always rise to the occasion - 40,000 plus estimated to be in AG for the Liverpool game in the first season ( officially 38,000 capacity but many more got in) and being in the EE that day was similar to a City game I watched at Anfield from the middle of the Kop - you simply couldn't move. Looking to our left even the Enclosure was a constantly surging mass of fans.

We also had a team of genuine heroes who never gave up, a team you were genuinely proud to support, and if you wonder why older fans might be particularly disgusted and disenchanted by the efforts of so many of our team last season, it's because we have a fantastic team who genuinely cared about BCFC and playing for the fans to compare them to.

I'm a bit older than Graham and I don't expect to see days like that again either. Even if we go up again one day, football, and the stadiums, have changed so much it could never compare with the excitement and atmosphere of watching Bristol City in the top flight in the 70's.

I could have written this Post by Nogbad - it brought back so many memories and I too was at all the games he mentioned. The best thing I loved about football back then was having mates call round early on a Saturday morning with no prior arrangements and before you knew it we were on our way to Goodison or Highbury and the likes. We would stop off at Victoria Wine for "breakfast" and be well stocked up for the journey! Many a time ended up in the wrong pub or even in the home end but all part of the fun. Will be renewing my season ticket but not looking forward to a stint in the 3rd Division - has to be done though!

Watched City in the top flight and have had 3 holes in one. 2 at Chipping Sodbury and 1 at Saltford. Thank goodness i had insurance for the bar bill on all of them.

I've also played Golf with Tiger Woods at Wentworth and many other top pros in Pro Ams... unfortunately i don't get the opportuity to do that anymore.

If any City fans go to any pro ams always go and have a chat with Lee Westwood...big Notts Forest fan and will have plenty of banter with you...top bloke who will give you time.

I tip my hat to you Spud for 3 holes in one. Mine cost me a decent bottle of malt in the club bar but to do it 3 times, fair play! :clap:

Guilty secret time - I watched City against Man Utd in the top division as a Man Utd fan!

I was ten years old and, with no family influence, was just a normal non match going football fan. My Grandad took me and I stood on a box in the enclosure. As a youngster in Weston with no other fans in the family the fact that City were even an option to support didn't take hold for a couple of years.

It wasn't until I was 14 and allowed to travel to games on my own that I became a City fan, meaning that I started in the fourth division. This might just make me one of the few to have seen more promotions than relegations as a City fan!

I have had a hole in one though :D

Me too - I started when we were in the 4th....

I tip my hat to you Spud for 3 holes in one. Mine cost me a decent bottle of malt in the club bar but to do it 3 times, fair play! :clap:

One went in off the back of a bunker.

Another wrapped itself in the flag and dropped in.

The last was the best shot... 3 foot over the flag and spun back into the hole... so 2 good ones and another a fluke.

I used to play everyday ( mainly practice )...so the chances of it happening were good...although saying that Sevvy never had a hole in one in all his career.

Just wish i had the time to play now...got down to 2.4 but it would be more like 24 now haha.

It's just so time consuming...no wonder has the highest divorce rate of any sport.

One went in off the back of a bunker.

Another wrapped itself in the flag and dropped in.

The last was the best shot... 3 foot over the flag and spun back into the hole... so 2 good ones and another a fluke.

I used to play everyday ( mainly practice )...so the chances of it happening were good...although saying that Sevvy never had a hole in one in all his career.

Just wish i had the time to play now...got down to 2.4 but it would be more like 24 now haha.

It's just so time consuming...no wonder has the highest divorce rate of any sport.

first you mention 3 holes in one and now you talk about back spin....deffo not having a round with you :laugh:

Yes, seen City in the top flight.

I thought we were really going places after Royle's 4 goal debut, sadly I think it took another ten games until his next goal

I remember the F A Cup match with Wrexham walking out early thoroughly disgruntled with City 2.4 down with ten minutes to go and missing the two City goals to taketh to a replay.

To this day I NEVER leave early because of THAT match.

You can tell I don't watch from the Dolman

but the replay was shite,up to our usual cup standerd,got thumped 3 or 4-0 by a lower league side!

"This might just make me one of the few to have seen more promotions than relegations as a City fan!"

You're ahead of me then. I was 7 (promos)-6 (rels) up until this season, now it's 7-7.

"This might just make me one of the few to have seen more promotions than relegations as a City fan!"

You're ahead of me then. I was 7 (promos)-6 (rels) up until this season, now it's 7-7.

act yer age...actualy fair play, think i wear the same shoes...only just

My first game was Bolton 1977-78 season ?? Tom Ritche hat-trick. 4-1.

I can only ever get up to level in promos/relegation's - unless we get a European Super League.

Same here, but I'm more of an 82A man, myself ;)

I surely do :)

He was booked for it - God knows what today's refs would do :o

Archived