IGNORED

City In The Top Flight

Cap flinger

Saw home and away games in all four seasons in the top flight, probably missing only 3 or 4 of the home ones even though I was still at school throughout.

I witnessed Royle's 4 goals against Boro, the Liverpool win in front of 38,000, the 2-2 game at Coventry to ensure survival, 2-0 home win over Spurs (Cormack got both) away games at Anfield (0-1 Dalglish) and at Highbury, plus I saw wins at Villa Park and West Ham, too.

I'm 50 very soon and I honestly don't expect to ever see it again.

Saw home and away games in all four seasons in the top flight, probably missing only 3 or 4 of the home ones even though I was still at school throughout.

I witnessed Royle's 4 goals against Boro, the Liverpool win in front of 38,000, the 2-2 game at Coventry to ensure survival, 2-0 home win over Spurs (Cormack got both) away games at Anfield (0-1 Dalglish) and at Highbury, plus I saw wins at Villa Park and West Ham, too.

I'm 50 very soon and I honestly don't expect to ever see it again.

wow graham must have been fantastic, was the last 15 mins of the Coventry game as pedestrian as everyone says

Yes, seen City in the top flight.

I thought we were really going places after Royle's 4 goal debut, sadly I think it took another ten games until his next goal

I remember the F A Cup match with Wrexham walking out early thoroughly disgruntled with City 2.4 down with ten minutes to go and missing the two City goals to taketh to a replay.

To this day I NEVER leave early because of THAT match.

You can tell I don't watch from the Dolman

Yep, saw them in the top division. Was also at mancU for Mabbuts hat-trick. Arsenal away,first game back,Cheesleys goal. Coventry away last game of the first season,Brilliant. Plenty of memorable games throughout those four seasons. Although some of my most fond memories were also the home and away wins over Man U in div 2 ,the season manU got relegated. The only team to do the double over them and the only team to stop em scoring in both fixtures.1-0 home and away. One of the most nerve racking games I saw was away at WBA. 1-0 win for us but after we scored that early goal we spent the rest of the game pinned in our own half ,as WBA threw everything ,and ,the kitchen sink at us. We survived and took a massive step to promotion to the top flight.

I remember Royles four goals against Boro. and the long,long wait for him to score again. seemed like an eternity. Happy days.

Highlights were the Arsenal, Liverpool and Coventry games in the first season. There have been many descriptions of these games on here and none could exaggerate just how fantastic these games were to witness as a Bristol City fan..

I had a friend who drove to all the away matches and we took all the famous grounds for granted really. We didn't really arrange away games, I used to be woken up at 8.30 every other Saturday with a knock at the door - or my Mum answered it anyway - 'You coming to Anfield, Villa Park, Goodison, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford, Maine Road etc? 'Yeah OK, give me 5 minutes' and after picking up a few others a few hours later we were in a pub sampling the local ale and atmosphere near one of these famous grounds.

You didn't need a ticket in advance, you just turned up, and to remain incognito ( you were under extreme threat at many away grounds) we'd often go in the first turnstile we could find rather than look lost and attract attention. No real problems except at Old Trafford for a night match when we immediately realised we were in the worst possible section in the ground and although we kept very quiet, were sussed out and attacked as soon as we got outside.

There were many dull home games in the 4 seasons - 1-0 home defeats to the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Sunderland etc. in front of 15-16k but there was always a great atmosphere from the EE and the older mob in the Park End and just about every home game you would witness numerous evictions from the ground and hundreds of rival fans charging about in the park afterwards as the police on horses struggled to keep any sort of control. The incursions from the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham were eagerly anticipated by a very large City reception committtee in the open bit of the EE as you came in and brawling broke out on numerous occasions as the crowd were still trying to file in.

One thing you could rely on was the crowd, and the players, would always rise to the occasion - 40,000 plus estimated to be in AG for the Liverpool game in the first season ( officially 38,000 capacity but many more got in) and being in the EE that day was similar to a City game I watched at Anfield from the middle of the Kop - you simply couldn't move. Looking to our left even the Enclosure was a constantly surging mass of fans.

We also had a team of genuine heroes who never gave up, a team you were genuinely proud to support, and if you wonder why older fans might be particularly disgusted and disenchanted by the efforts of so many of our team last season, it's because we have a fantastic team who genuinely cared about BCFC and playing for the fans to compare them to.

I'm a bit older than Graham and I don't expect to see days like that again either. Even if we go up again one day, football, and the stadiums, have changed so much it could never compare with the excitement and atmosphere of watching Bristol City in the top flight in the 70's.

That sums it up really, I team we could relate to. A TEAM of battlers too. I was living in Whitchurch at the time and three of the City team lived very close by. Ordinary ,approachable guys. Not like the Overpaid,overpampered lot that we have today,

wow graham must have been fantastic, was the last 15 mins of the Coventry game as pedestrian as everyone says

Probably - such was the euphoria amongst the City crowd after we equalised that we hardly noticed it until the last couple of minutes.

I know we as football fans can get emotional but I've never seen anything like that night, adult City fans were being supported from below to stand on the terrace barriers, arms reaching upwards, looking at the sky with tears streaming down their faces!

Time stood still anyway, whether it was 15 minutes, or a few, it didn't matter, we'd miraculously stayed up when minutes before it seemed certain we were down, and all that mattered was getting to the front ready to charge on to the pitch to mob our heroes.

Just wondering who on here have watch city in the top flight, along with getting a hole in one its not been ticked off of my bucket list yet...........

Yep! had a season ticket in the 'Enclosure' the night Clive Whitehead scored to secure promotion and for all the 4 years we styed in the top flight!

.......never saw the sense in wacking a little ball with a 'bat' then spend hours looking for it!!

yup

saw mabbutt hat trick at man utd

plus joe royle score 4 on debut

And saw the double over Manure in the second division.

And saw Big John's last game.

Best moment at the Gate has to be Chris Garland's winner against Liverpool in 1977.

A little bit of that pitch was transported to a new home in Whitchurch. :yes:

... and W-O-T :laughcont:

The football highlights, as others have said, Arsenal away that first game Super Mac and all, Liverpool (2-1) and Man U (1-0) at home, the Royle four, the amazing never-to-be-repeated scenes and tension of Coventry.

The fans highlights such the Park End really taking off, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs realising that their 'little' West Country cousins, at home and away,were no pushovers ... amazing times.

... and have managed a 23 at the third short elevated green on the Brabizon at the Belfry balanced by several holes-in-one at Teignmouth (crazy golf) !

Yes -my third ever match was the promotion game v Portsmouth and then used to watch Royle Ritchie and co in the Old division one for just 50p per game in the Old Schoolboy's enclosure that used to run in front of the Dolman. Those were the days!

Hole in one -still trying!

Just missing that hole in one (unless we are including crazy golf?).

My first City game was City v Spurs on 12th April 1977, we won 1-0 thanks to a Peter Cormack penalty, Chris Garland also had a goal disallowed for punching the ball into the net.

Edit - also stood in the Schoolboys Enclosure for 50p before promotion to the Eastend in about 1980 where I remained before semi-retiring to the Enclosure and then full retirement to the Doman (also enjoyed the odd Park End and Atyeo experience). Making a return to the East End to continue bcfctim's education next season.

Guilty secret time - I watched City against Man Utd in the top division as a Man Utd fan!

I was ten years old and, with no family influence, was just a normal non match going football fan. My Grandad took me and I stood on a box in the enclosure. As a youngster in Weston with no other fans in the family the fact that City were even an option to support didn't take hold for a couple of years.

It wasn't until I was 14 and allowed to travel to games on my own that I became a City fan, meaning that I started in the fourth division. This might just make me one of the few to have seen more promotions than relegations as a City fan!

I have had a hole in one though :D

Sorry, WRONG, it was Arsenal !

Quite right, slarti.

Age is catching up with me and I was confusing the two! Though we did beat Spurs at home that season, too with a Cormack penalty.

Nothing can be added to Nogbad's brilliant post, (especially about the band of brothers attitude that AD created) simply amazing times...

Archived