IGNORED

Basso

sglosbcfc

Heaton better than Basso, can't believe I'm hearing this! Hahaha brilliant! Basso won us games with his amazingly acrobatic saves and even catching shots a lot of keepers would palm away! Best keeper I've seen play for city in my 15 years as a ST holder easily.

Hmm I remember him, especially in our first season organising his defence and some times earning us points on his own. Yes a couple of howlers, but nothing on the scale of James. He earned us far more points than he cost us.

And who cares about camera saves, as long as he made them. I would be more concerned if he wasn't holding them!

So did James.

I admit that football is a game of opinions, but does anyone really think Heaton was better for BCFC than Basso! If they do I am quite frankly staggered. Basso has been clearly the best City keeper of the past thirty years. Heaton was not a bad keeper playing for a team that was bottom of the league but IMO not in the same league as Basso.

Heaton better than Basso, can't believe I'm hearing this! Hahaha brilliant! Basso won us games with his amazingly acrobatic saves and even catching shots a lot of keepers would palm away! Best keeper I've seen play for city in my 15 years as a ST holder easily.

Correct, he inspired others around him to put some effort in

He was decent don't get me wrong but he had a very good well organised defence in front of him. Both good shot stoppers but Basso had more mistakes in him.

He was decent don't get me wrong but he had a very good well organised defence in front of him. Both good shot stoppers but Basso had more mistakes in him.

I quite liked Heaton, but his failure to come out for anything until O'driscoll came in helped us concede quite a few more. Granted basso wasn't great at coming off his line, but he was better than Heaton at it. Also, one on ones, I don't believe Heaton saved any this season, every time there seemed to be a 1 on 1 it seemed to result in a goal, Basso on the other hand with one on ones you didn't always expect for it to go in. I don't know who the better shot stopper was out of Phillips or Heaton, that Would be a better debate, but Basso I believe has been our best keeper for years.

I admit that football is a game of opinions, but does anyone really think Heaton was better for BCFC than Basso! If they do I am quite frankly staggered. Basso has been clearly the best City keeper of the past thirty years. Heaton was not a bad keeper playing for a team that was bottom of the league but IMO not in the same league as Basso.

Really? Keith Welch for one was a far better keeper also Keith Waugh.

Welch was twice the keeper basso ever was,

Also if Basso was better then Heaton, How did heaton find a club at the end of his contract and Basso had to become a number 3 keeper at hull a full 16 months after being released by us?

Far too many rose tinted glasses when it comes to basso

Guest Bedminster Born And Red

Heaton had concrete/lead in his boots. You won't make many mistakes when high balls are being pinged into your box if you stay glued to your line like Heaton did for much of last season. However, you will be watching a lot of goals get headed past you. At least Basso came for some crosses!!

Welch was one of our better keepers it has to be said. Still had the odd error in him but then again if he didn't he would have been a top level keeper. He had a lot of ability and wasn't frightened to leave his line. Would have Welch in my team over Heaton every single day of the week.

I quite liked Heaton, but his failure to come out for anything until O'Driscoll came in helped us concede quite a few more. Granted basso wasn't great at coming off his line, but he was better than Heaton at it. Also, one on ones, I don't believe Heaton saved any this season, every time there seemed to be a 1 on 1 it seemed to result in a goal, Basso on the other hand with one on ones you didn't always expect for it to go in. I don't know who the better shot stopper was out of Phillips or Heaton, that Would be a better debate, but Basso I believe has been our best keeper for years.

Great shout. I would say that Phillips shot stopping ability had to be outstanding to make it as a professional because he had noticable weaknesses in other parts of his game such as dominating his box. And I would put Heaton in the same bracket.

Jan Moller first then Basso IMO.

Welch was one of our better keepers it has to be said. Still had the odd error in him but then again if he didn't he would have been a top level keeper. He had a lot of ability and wasn't frightened to leave his line. Would have Welch in my team over Heaton every single day of the week.

Welch was top class. The game at Sunderland was one of the best goalkeeping displays i have seen fro a City keeper.

Guest Project Nibor

Heaton was a much better keeper. Basso was frustrating to watch at times because of his inconsistency. For each wonder save he made he would make just as many shocking mistakes in the same game. Heaton was a much more consistent keeper. Basso used to take two steps in the wrong direction then dive back on him self which made some of his saves look better than they were if he had just got his positioning right in the first place. His kicking was also shocking, most times not making it over the half way line. More often than not his kicking would either go out for a throw or to the other team. If Basso was so much better than Heaton why did Basso struggle so much to find another team after us yet Heaton has walked straight into being the first choice keeper at another Championship club?

Heaton was a much better keeper. Basso was frustrating to watch at times because of his inconsistency. For each wonder save he made he would make just as many shocking mistakes in the same game. Heaton was a much more consistent keeper. Basso used to take two steps in the wrong direction then dive back on him self which made some of his saves look better than they were if he had just got his positioning right in the first place. His kicking was also shocking, most times not making it over the half way line. More often than not his kicking would either go out for a throw or to the other team. If Basso was so much better than Heaton why did Basso struggle so much to find another team after us yet Heaton has walked straight into being the first choice keeper at another Championship club?

Without arguing over who is better the reason Heaton can walk straight into another Championship club is because there aren't many decent "all round" keepers about these days. Especially ones who have the guts to leave the safety of their goal line in order to come and catch a cross when there are a few bodies around.

They all have amazing reflexes and all make great saves but how many keepers these days dominate even their six yard boxes?

Plus Heaton would of saved the Windass goal!

I doubt it, he wouldn't have been off his line to make it easier for himself, his lead feet would have hampered his movement through the air.

Guest Opeth67

Whether Basso was better than Heaton doesn't really matter. Both were quite good keepers - each with equally strong points and weaknesses in their game. Overall the best keepers in my time of supporting the club were without doubt Welch & Waugh (sounds like a double singing act).

I don't think I'd like to see Basso back as our 1st team keeper. There must be goalies out there in Div 1 or 2 who we could tempt who would be at least as good as - and YOUNGER - than Basso. How many years service would we get out of him?

OK - keepers mature later than infield players, but I would be disappointed if we brought in a 38 year old stopper. Unless we couldn't get anyone suitable for the start of the season as used Basso on a game to game basis until we got the "right" permanent keeper in.

Heaton did well, had an disorganised shambolic defence in front of him and in a number of games did well to keep the score down.

Think people have alluded to the fact that Basso, had an organised defence in front of him which didn't let too may through. Great shot stopper, capable of unbelievable saves (the Watford penalty save being one) but unpredictable, his distribution wasn't great and he hasn't featured a lot recently.. 14 appearance since he left isn't it?

Think SO'D should be looking elsewhere.

Welch was good, excellent 'tache as well. Keith Waugh was utter gash, suffered from short sight IMHO, anything from 25 yards flew past him

Does no one remember the way he left us with an inflated ego and nothing came of it. No thanks. He had his chance and showed himself for what he is.

Good point, well made

Jan Moller first then Basso IMO.

A bit more than 30 years?

Heaton was a much better keeper.

Agreed - his all round game was better, although Basso was an excellent shot stopper

Guest bristoljames

Just repeating what everyone else has said. Yes I loved Basso, and in my 23 years of supporting City, he is by far the best 'keeper I watched, though I haven't had a great bunch to watch. I wouldnt mind him coming in to help the U21 'keeper, whilst giving the U21 a chance in the cup games. Basso is an icon. He won us points, he saved us points. But I am afraid he will be past it, and SOD wants "value for money" when buying players, Basso wont be.

Everyone saying that he hasnt played a pro match in years, well he never did before he joined us. But thats what pre-season is about, get the fitness levels up and shake away the rust.

Just repeating what everyone else has said. Yes I loved Basso, and in my 23 years of supporting City, he is by far the best 'keeper I watched, though I haven't had a great bunch to watch. I wouldnt mind him coming in to help the U21 'keeper, whilst giving the U21 a chance in the cup games. Basso is an icon. He won us points, he saved us points. But I am afraid he will be past it, and SOD wants "value for money" when buying players, Basso wont be.

Everyone saying that he hasnt played a pro match in years, well he never did before he joined us. But thats what pre-season is about, get the fitness levels up and shake away the rust.

Quick question,

If James was too over the hill to play at 39 going on 40, why is Basso young enough to play at 38 going on 39?

Guest bristoljames

Everyone knew, that after that woeful World Cup showing, James was past it. It was the boards way of trying to announce that we're serious contenders for promotion and decided to get one of the biggest English names. Unfortunately, it backfired massively. Every player is different. Look at Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, both 40 and able to put in good consistent performances in the PL. James, wasnt able to in the Championship.

Everyone knew, that after that woeful World Cup showing, James was past it. It was the boards way of trying to announce that we're serious contenders for promotion and decided to get one of the biggest English names. Unfortunately, it backfired massively. Every player is different. Look at Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, both 40 and able to put in good consistent performances in the PL. James, wasnt able to in the Championship.

But basso hasn't even been able to put a performance in for well over a year so why is he deemed good enough when no one else has even bothered to pick him up?

Guest bristoljames

If this whole rumour is true, why do you think pre-season is for? Clue is in the word. He wasn't deemed good enough for anywhere other than Woking before we signed him, and turned out alright. I'm not saying lightening strikes twice and he will be as good as he was, but its worth getting him on trial to see what he's capable of and that way, if he isn't what SoD is looking for then he hasn't cost us a single penny.

I know what you're trying to say, he had 3/4 full seasons with us, had a stint with Hull and as Wolves #3 'keeper and he's slipped of the radar. Getting him on trial wouldn't be a bad idea.

"Edit; spelling mistake" :facepalm:

It is hard to judge who was the best keeper, with all having strengths and weaknesses. Some interesting points, or oversights in many of these posts though are...

*People seem to forget how good Steve Phillips was for a long time for us.

*Basso, in the first season that we had him was pretty poor, before a remarkable turnaround in form.

*Keith Welch had by far the best back heel and was probably the best "footballing" GK that we have had.

*David James was not a bad keeper for us, he just didn't warrent his wage, but that wasn't his fault. I have rarely been as excited about us signing a player than the day that my contacts told be he was at AG completing his move to us - although it never lived upto the hype, US, little Bristol City, signing the man who had only months earlier been playing in goal at the World Cup for England, was astonishing!

*If we are going down the route of a young Keeper with potential, then people are going to need to be patient and accept that he will make mistakes at times, without jumping on his back.

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

He was awesome in the cup win at Liverpool as well , 1 save from Don Hutchinson (the ball looked destined for the top corner) was as good as any save I've seen live.

Opinion and conjecture

My top 5 keepers in my time watching City are Sinclair, Welch, Mercer, Basso and James.

Fact

Anyone that puts Steve Phillips in their top 5 either:

- has only watched City when Steve Phillips is in goal

- has memory issues

or

- is Steve Phillips

wasnt Steve Phillips in goal for that game?

wasnt Steve Phillips in goal for that game?

If we are talking of the 1-1 draw at the stadium of light it was Welch. Saved a Kevin Phillips penalty and produced save after save.

Soren Anderson equalised in the last minute, day light robbery for us to take a point home that night to be fair.

If we are talking of the 1-1 draw at the stadium of light it was Welch. Saved a Kevin Phillips penalty and produced save after save.

Soren Anderson equalised in the last minute, day light robbery for us to take a point home that night to be fair.

The game was on sky on a weeknight If I remember right?

Will always remember me and the old man going mental when Anderson scored and pissing ourselves, was complete robbery!!

On another note, FairPlay to original poster for making something up, getting 120 replies and it being all over Facebook and twitter!!

Basso brought much more to this Club than just his playing ability.

He was a Character that most loved.

He brought a feel good factor and 'belief'. The Chant 'always believe' came about because of him.

We had a feel good factor and what he brought was positivity. Both on the field and in the changing room.

He is similar to Scott Murray in many of those respects.

If we had 11 players with his ability, passion and belief, we would go far.

Guest BigTCiderRed

Bring basso back for 1 game so we can all sing OOOOOOOO Baaaassoooooo, then retire him again. No point in looking to the past, surely...

Opinion and conjecture

My top 5 keepers in my time watching City are Sinclair, Welch, Mercer, Basso and James.

Fact

Anyone that puts Steve Phillips in their top 5 either:

- has only watched City when Steve Phillips is in goal

- has memory issues

or

- is Steve Phillips

Ronnie Sinclair rarely gets a mention, I loved him! Fair enough it was a long time ago but sometimes I wonder what people would have been writing regarding some players on forums such as this if they were available then.

Basso brought much more to this Club than just his playing ability.

He was a Character that most loved.

He brought a feel good factor and 'belief'. The Chant 'always believe' came about because of him.

We had a feel good factor and what he brought was positivity. Both on the field and in the changing room.

He is similar to Scott Murray in many of those respects.

If we had 11 players with his ability, passion and belief, we would go far.

Nice post agree with a lot of it. We have no characters in the squad bar maybe Albert its very hard to love any of the rest literally zero personality

*David James was not a bad keeper for us, he just didn't warrent his wage, but that wasn't his fault. I have rarely been as excited about us signing a player than the day that my contacts told be he was at AG completing his move to us - although it never lived upto the hype, US, little Bristol City, signing the man who had only months earlier been playing in goal at the World Cup for England, was astonishing!

Hmmm, probably England's worst WC squad ever and James's inclusion over Hart was part of the farce. James did have it once, but it was all long gone by the time he started bouncing the ball off his chest into the path of opposition strikers at AG.

With regards to Basso - no thanks. That was then, this is now.

I was in a bar in Corfu watching that game with 3 Sunderland fans bragging on about how brilliant they were and how they were going to thrash us!

Most of the game made for difficult viewing, but the look on their faces when we equalised was priceless!

Alistair Durden on twitter:

"I'm told there's no truth in the rumours of Basso returning to Bristol City. Former Doncaster keeper Gary Woods is not joining them either"

Good, on both counts.

Opinion and conjecture

Funny that, I'd put David James in my top 5 WORST goalkeepers to play for City.

I've never seen a City keeper push the ball in front the oppositions strikers so often, or drop so many crosses or let the ball squirm under him. In fact, I've never seen a City come right out to the edge of the box and manage to punch the ball into his own net!!!

Weirdly though, I think James used to be amazing (but for other teams) - one of his performances for Watford at AG back in the earlier 90's was MOTD stuff.

Funny that, I'd put David James in my top 5 WORST goalkeepers to play for City.

I've never seen a City keeper push the ball in front the oppositions strikers so often, or drop so many crosses or let the ball squirm under him. In fact, I've never seen a City come right out to the edge of the box and manage to punch the ball into his own net!!!

Weirdly though, I think James used to be amazing (but for other teams) - one of his performances for Watford at AG back in the earlier 90's was MOTD stuff.

James was physically one of the best keepers of all time. Jumping, agility, tall, quick but always lacked conviction and was so error prone. We got him as his physical side was on the way out.

Archived