IGNORED

Basso

sglosbcfc

Heaton was a much better keeper. Basso was frustrating to watch at times because of his inconsistency. For each wonder save he made he would make just as many shocking mistakes in the same game. Heaton was a much more consistent keeper. Basso used to take two steps in the wrong direction then dive back on him self which made some of his saves look better than they were if he had just got his positioning right in the first place. His kicking was also shocking, most times not making it over the half way line. More often than not his kicking would either go out for a throw or to the other team. If Basso was so much better than Heaton why did Basso struggle so much to find another team after us yet Heaton has walked straight into being the first choice keeper at another Championship club?

Heaton was a much better keeper. Basso was frustrating to watch at times because of his inconsistency. For each wonder save he made he would make just as many shocking mistakes in the same game. Heaton was a much more consistent keeper. Basso used to take two steps in the wrong direction then dive back on him self which made some of his saves look better than they were if he had just got his positioning right in the first place. His kicking was also shocking, most times not making it over the half way line. More often than not his kicking would either go out for a throw or to the other team. If Basso was so much better than Heaton why did Basso struggle so much to find another team after us yet Heaton has walked straight into being the first choice keeper at another Championship club?

Without arguing over who is better the reason Heaton can walk straight into another Championship club is because there aren't many decent "all round" keepers about these days. Especially ones who have the guts to leave the safety of their goal line in order to come and catch a cross when there are a few bodies around.

They all have amazing reflexes and all make great saves but how many keepers these days dominate even their six yard boxes?

Whether Basso was better than Heaton doesn't really matter. Both were quite good keepers - each with equally strong points and weaknesses in their game. Overall the best keepers in my time of supporting the club were without doubt Welch & Waugh (sounds like a double singing act).

I don't think I'd like to see Basso back as our 1st team keeper. There must be goalies out there in Div 1 or 2 who we could tempt who would be at least as good as - and YOUNGER - than Basso. How many years service would we get out of him?

OK - keepers mature later than infield players, but I would be disappointed if we brought in a 38 year old stopper. Unless we couldn't get anyone suitable for the start of the season as used Basso on a game to game basis until we got the "right" permanent keeper in.

Heaton did well, had an disorganised shambolic defence in front of him and in a number of games did well to keep the score down.

Think people have alluded to the fact that Basso, had an organised defence in front of him which didn't let too may through. Great shot stopper, capable of unbelievable saves (the Watford penalty save being one) but unpredictable, his distribution wasn't great and he hasn't featured a lot recently.. 14 appearance since he left isn't it?

Think SO'D should be looking elsewhere.

Really? Keith Welch for one was a far better keeper also Keith Waugh.

Welch was good, excellent 'tache as well. Keith Waugh was utter gash, suffered from short sight IMHO, anything from 25 yards flew past him

Does no one remember the way he left us with an inflated ego and nothing came of it. No thanks. He had his chance and showed himself for what he is.

Good point, well made

Jan Moller first then Basso IMO.

A bit more than 30 years?

Heaton was a much better keeper.

Agreed - his all round game was better, although Basso was an excellent shot stopper

Just repeating what everyone else has said. Yes I loved Basso, and in my 23 years of supporting City, he is by far the best 'keeper I watched, though I haven't had a great bunch to watch. I wouldnt mind him coming in to help the U21 'keeper, whilst giving the U21 a chance in the cup games. Basso is an icon. He won us points, he saved us points. But I am afraid he will be past it, and SOD wants "value for money" when buying players, Basso wont be.

Everyone saying that he hasnt played a pro match in years, well he never did before he joined us. But thats what pre-season is about, get the fitness levels up and shake away the rust.

Just repeating what everyone else has said. Yes I loved Basso, and in my 23 years of supporting City, he is by far the best 'keeper I watched, though I haven't had a great bunch to watch. I wouldnt mind him coming in to help the U21 'keeper, whilst giving the U21 a chance in the cup games. Basso is an icon. He won us points, he saved us points. But I am afraid he will be past it, and SOD wants "value for money" when buying players, Basso wont be.

Everyone saying that he hasnt played a pro match in years, well he never did before he joined us. But thats what pre-season is about, get the fitness levels up and shake away the rust.

Quick question,

If James was too over the hill to play at 39 going on 40, why is Basso young enough to play at 38 going on 39?

Everyone knew, that after that woeful World Cup showing, James was past it. It was the boards way of trying to announce that we're serious contenders for promotion and decided to get one of the biggest English names. Unfortunately, it backfired massively. Every player is different. Look at Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, both 40 and able to put in good consistent performances in the PL. James, wasnt able to in the Championship.

Everyone knew, that after that woeful World Cup showing, James was past it. It was the boards way of trying to announce that we're serious contenders for promotion and decided to get one of the biggest English names. Unfortunately, it backfired massively. Every player is different. Look at Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, both 40 and able to put in good consistent performances in the PL. James, wasnt able to in the Championship.

But basso hasn't even been able to put a performance in for well over a year so why is he deemed good enough when no one else has even bothered to pick him up?

If this whole rumour is true, why do you think pre-season is for? Clue is in the word. He wasn't deemed good enough for anywhere other than Woking before we signed him, and turned out alright. I'm not saying lightening strikes twice and he will be as good as he was, but its worth getting him on trial to see what he's capable of and that way, if he isn't what SoD is looking for then he hasn't cost us a single penny.

I know what you're trying to say, he had 3/4 full seasons with us, had a stint with Hull and as Wolves #3 'keeper and he's slipped of the radar. Getting him on trial wouldn't be a bad idea.

"Edit; spelling mistake" :facepalm:

It is hard to judge who was the best keeper, with all having strengths and weaknesses. Some interesting points, or oversights in many of these posts though are...

*People seem to forget how good Steve Phillips was for a long time for us.

*Basso, in the first season that we had him was pretty poor, before a remarkable turnaround in form.

*Keith Welch had by far the best back heel and was probably the best "footballing" GK that we have had.

*David James was not a bad keeper for us, he just didn't warrent his wage, but that wasn't his fault. I have rarely been as excited about us signing a player than the day that my contacts told be he was at AG completing his move to us - although it never lived upto the hype, US, little Bristol City, signing the man who had only months earlier been playing in goal at the World Cup for England, was astonishing!

*If we are going down the route of a young Keeper with potential, then people are going to need to be patient and accept that he will make mistakes at times, without jumping on his back.

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

He was awesome in the cup win at Liverpool as well , 1 save from Don Hutchinson (the ball looked destined for the top corner) was as good as any save I've seen live.

Archived