IGNORED

Basso

sglosbcfc

Opinion and conjecture

My top 5 keepers in my time watching City are Sinclair, Welch, Mercer, Basso and James.

Fact

Anyone that puts Steve Phillips in their top 5 either:

- has only watched City when Steve Phillips is in goal

- has memory issues

or

- is Steve Phillips

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

wasnt Steve Phillips in goal for that game?

wasnt Steve Phillips in goal for that game?

If we are talking of the 1-1 draw at the stadium of light it was Welch. Saved a Kevin Phillips penalty and produced save after save.

Soren Anderson equalised in the last minute, day light robbery for us to take a point home that night to be fair.

If we are talking of the 1-1 draw at the stadium of light it was Welch. Saved a Kevin Phillips penalty and produced save after save.

Soren Anderson equalised in the last minute, day light robbery for us to take a point home that night to be fair.

The game was on sky on a weeknight If I remember right?

Will always remember me and the old man going mental when Anderson scored and pissing ourselves, was complete robbery!!

On another note, FairPlay to original poster for making something up, getting 120 replies and it being all over Facebook and twitter!!

Basso brought much more to this Club than just his playing ability.

He was a Character that most loved.

He brought a feel good factor and 'belief'. The Chant 'always believe' came about because of him.

We had a feel good factor and what he brought was positivity. Both on the field and in the changing room.

He is similar to Scott Murray in many of those respects.

If we had 11 players with his ability, passion and belief, we would go far.

Opinion and conjecture

My top 5 keepers in my time watching City are Sinclair, Welch, Mercer, Basso and James.

Fact

Anyone that puts Steve Phillips in their top 5 either:

- has only watched City when Steve Phillips is in goal

- has memory issues

or

- is Steve Phillips

Ronnie Sinclair rarely gets a mention, I loved him! Fair enough it was a long time ago but sometimes I wonder what people would have been writing regarding some players on forums such as this if they were available then.

Basso brought much more to this Club than just his playing ability.

He was a Character that most loved.

He brought a feel good factor and 'belief'. The Chant 'always believe' came about because of him.

We had a feel good factor and what he brought was positivity. Both on the field and in the changing room.

He is similar to Scott Murray in many of those respects.

If we had 11 players with his ability, passion and belief, we would go far.

Nice post agree with a lot of it. We have no characters in the squad bar maybe Albert its very hard to love any of the rest literally zero personality

*David James was not a bad keeper for us, he just didn't warrent his wage, but that wasn't his fault. I have rarely been as excited about us signing a player than the day that my contacts told be he was at AG completing his move to us - although it never lived upto the hype, US, little Bristol City, signing the man who had only months earlier been playing in goal at the World Cup for England, was astonishing!

Hmmm, probably England's worst WC squad ever and James's inclusion over Hart was part of the farce. James did have it once, but it was all long gone by the time he started bouncing the ball off his chest into the path of opposition strikers at AG.

With regards to Basso - no thanks. That was then, this is now.

I remember seeing Keith Welch produce the best goalkeeping display since I've been watching them when we drew 1-1 away at Sunderland... save after save!! If it wasn't for him it probably would've been a very embarrassing scoreline. If I remember rightly he also saved a pen from either Kevin Phillips or Niall Quinn (cant remember which).

Best keeper I've seen since I've been watching City although Basso at the time would be 2nd.

I was in a bar in Corfu watching that game with 3 Sunderland fans bragging on about how brilliant they were and how they were going to thrash us!

Most of the game made for difficult viewing, but the look on their faces when we equalised was priceless!

Opinion and conjecture

Funny that, I'd put David James in my top 5 WORST goalkeepers to play for City.

I've never seen a City keeper push the ball in front the oppositions strikers so often, or drop so many crosses or let the ball squirm under him. In fact, I've never seen a City come right out to the edge of the box and manage to punch the ball into his own net!!!

Weirdly though, I think James used to be amazing (but for other teams) - one of his performances for Watford at AG back in the earlier 90's was MOTD stuff.

Funny that, I'd put David James in my top 5 WORST goalkeepers to play for City.

I've never seen a City keeper push the ball in front the oppositions strikers so often, or drop so many crosses or let the ball squirm under him. In fact, I've never seen a City come right out to the edge of the box and manage to punch the ball into his own net!!!

Weirdly though, I think James used to be amazing (but for other teams) - one of his performances for Watford at AG back in the earlier 90's was MOTD stuff.

James was physically one of the best keepers of all time. Jumping, agility, tall, quick but always lacked conviction and was so error prone. We got him as his physical side was on the way out.

Archived