IGNORED

Who Will Be Our Captain?

Harry

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know??!!).

A football club's Captain should be the one player who really epitomises all that the club should stand for. He should be a leader, an inspirational character, a role model. He should have an absolute desire to win, but should be incredibly disciplined. He should act as the voice of the Manager on the pitch, organising, instructing, relaying tactics and strategy. He should be the one to roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough and draw every bit of effort from himself and his team mates.

So, who do we have who fits the bill for next season.

Last year, a certain Mr Liam Fontaine was handed the responsibility and, lets be fair, turned out to be a bit of a shrinking violet within this role.

If I recall correctly, Mr Cole Skuse then took the armband - not exactly one to be leading by example when he'd already sealed his deal to Ipswich back in January!!

I then recall Mr Marvin Elliott being asked to perform the duties toward the end of the season. A man with certain terrific strong points but I would question his true captain material?

Where does this leave us for the coming season?

Will one of Fontaine or Elliott be entrusted with this again? Will they even feature in the team on a regular basis?

Will a certain Mr Kilkenny (touted by some as a potential regular fixture in the side next year) be given a shot - he certainly points and shouts enough?

Does the new keeper (should it be Fielding) be given a go. He'll probably be one of the more experienced players at the club in terms of the level he's played.

Perhaps Nyatanga if he sticks around?

Does Carey get the club captaincy if he re-signs? But he won't be on the pitch very much?

I can't pick a winner here? Anyone wanna help me out? It probably looks like Marv, I guess, if he actually features in the regular first 11 plans.

V good question and not sure until the rest of the signings (hopefully) are in bit it has to be someone from the back. Shocking really that I can't name one player at the moment that I would trust to give the armband to! Am I alone?

That said, I'm still pleased to be down the gate next season.

Could see Flint getting handed it to be honest. I don't really see any of our current crop as captains, and I don't like strikers or attacking midfielders as captains.

So that gives us

New Keeper - unknown

Moloney - maybe

Flint - maybe

Nyatanga - no thanks

Fontaine - no thanks

Cunningham - maybe

Elliott - meh

Wynter - too green

Kilkenny - maybe

I quite like a keeper or CB as captain so maybe Fielding or Flint could step up. New club vision, new direction, why not someone new to assume the role.

V good question and not sure until the rest of the signings (hopefully) are in bit it has to be someone from the back. Shocking really that I can't name one player at the moment that I would trust to give the armband to! Am I alone?

That said, I'm still pleased to be down the gate next season.

You're not alone. The first sign that McInnes was a hay bale short of a stack was when he gave the captaincy to Fontaine. Unbelievable Jeff.

As others have said, Cunningham might fit the bill but I'm only guessing.

Could see Flint getting handed it to be honest. I don't really see any of our current crop as captains, and I don't like strikers or attacking midfielders as captains.

So that gives us

New Keeper - unknown

Moloney - maybe

Flint - maybe

Nyatanga - no thanks

Fontaine - no thanks

Cunningham - maybe

Elliott - meh

Wynter - too green

Kilkenny - maybe

Steve Brooker wasn't bad!

What about Carey? May not play every game but when he does...

Aside from maybe Kelly was the best shout

Nothing worse than a captain that doesn't play every other game. Hate seeing it rotated around like that. For me, the captain has to be someone expecting to start every week

One hell of a good question, still waiting for the dust to settle, who's in and who's out makes me think as Lew mentioned maybe

Greg could carry that responsibiliy, ....yea i think he is a good candidate

Was gonna post "Robbin Williams" dead poets society but refrained from ruining a perfectly good thread, Doh !

Nothing worse than a captain that doesn't play every other game. Hate seeing it rotated around like that. For me, the captain has to be someone expecting to start every week

Fair point, I just don't see any stand out leaders from what we have....

I'd have to say at this moment in time, Cunningham. Although he doesn't stand out as a proper leader like Carey was. I'm completely old fashioned and believe a defender or keeper should have the role... therefore Flint or Fielding would be my other candidates.

Very tricky question as who actually knows what these players leadership, team work, and motivational skills are like when they have never even donned a shirt for us!

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know??!!).

A football club's Captain should be the one player who really epitomises all that the club should stand for. He should be a leader, an inspirational character, a role model. He should have an absolute desire to win, but should be incredibly disciplined. He should act as the voice of the Manager on the pitch, organising, instructing, relaying tactics and strategy. He should be the one to roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough and draw every bit of effort from himself and his team mates.

So, who do we have who fits the bill for next season.

Last year, a certain Mr Liam Fontaine was handed the responsibility and, lets be fair, turned out to be a bit of a shrinking violet within this role.

If I recall correctly, Mr Cole Skuse then took the armband - not exactly one to be leading by example when he'd already sealed his deal to Ipswich back in January!!

I then recall Mr Marvin Elliott being asked to perform the duties toward the end of the season. A man with certain terrific strong points but I would question his true captain material?

Where does this leave us for the coming season?

Will one of Fontaine or Elliott be entrusted with this again? Will they even feature in the team on a regular basis?

Will a certain Mr Kilkenny (touted by some as a potential regular fixture in the side next year) be given a shot - he certainly points and shouts enough?

Does the new keeper (should it be Fielding) be given a go. He'll probably be one of the more experienced players at the club in terms of the level he's played.

Perhaps Nyatanga if he sticks around?

Does Carey get the club captaincy if he re-signs? But he won't be on the pitch very much?

I can't pick a winner here? Anyone wanna help me out? It probably looks like Marv, I guess, if he actually features in the regular first 11 plans.

Harry, start a poll, just tried myself and failed miserably...people respect your knowledge of the game, well at least i do !

Archived