IGNORED

Who Will Be Our Captain?

Harry

To be honest, I'm hoping we haven't signed them yet. I'd be dead chuffed if we managed to get one of our midfielders shifted and get a leader in the middle of the park in their place and give him the armband. Given that might not be realistic, I think Cunningham'd get my vote at the moment. Don't know enough about Flint to comment on him though.

It needs to be given to someone that is going to consistently play week in week out so that there is continuity and respect for having it. Captaincy shouldn't be tossed around as it symbolises leadership and strength. That narrows the candidates. Ruling out the lack of a credible attacking leader and looking at midfield, can anyone say who is going to line up there next year? I certainly am not sure, Kelly has been ok but not spectacular, Marv is not the player he was, Will Kilkenny get consistent game time? Will Wynter start much? It is difficult to pick a captain if you arn't sure he will play, maybe this will become clearer after the first few games when we hopefully begin to see a settled side.

That leaves the back 5. While they are good players I don't see our young fullbacks as leaders of men. They are a great pair of pros but I'm not sure about them being captain material. I don't think you could give it to Flint which leaves the out of contract Nyatanga and Fontaine. While Fonts was given the unenviable task of captaining a turd going down the drain last term, with a positive start, a fresh team with new faces and a shifting club ethos, who is to say he may not be an altogether different leader next time. For me it goes down to two, a rampant Marv if he can terrorise L1 next term would get the nod if he can be a force again, if not Fonts. Not exactly convinced though.

Been thinking about this for a while myself and I can't look past Cunningham, he is easily our best player, fairly experienced even though he is still young and the only player to show he was a real winner in our team last season. Therefore I can't really look past him.

I'd say Flint, has the right character from what I've seen of him. Worrying lack of candidates.

tis still early day's...seems to have the right attributes but lets see how he fits in, not a knock btw,

but my gut feeling is greg.....sadly i dont trust my guts,.......

We have few, if any, leaders that I can think of. Not sure why people are suggesting Flint; rarely would a captaincy be given to a new 'kid' .

Maybe he is not yet at the club; Pirlo would be my choice, lorra larfs. Wow,, just imagine having him in the middle of the park heh . :)

We have few, if any, leaders that I can think of. Not sure why people are suggesting Flint; rarely would a captaincy be given to a new 'kid' .

Maybe he is not yet at the club; Pirlo would be my choice, lorra larfs. Wow,, just imagine having him in the middle of the park heh . :)

I can't say it would bother me in the slightest for it to be given to a new player. For me, if they're part of SOD's plans and captain material, I don't mind if they've been here 10 minutes or 10 years.

The club is desperately trying to "reinvent" and shake off the damage that the last few seasons has done, and with everything else that's changed, a fresh start on the captaincy is as good a place as any!

Does being Captain actually mean/do anything these days? Really?...

It's an interesting thing, so much is loaded onto it in the UK yet on the continent, it's not a big deal. They usually give it to the oldest player in the team in Italy.

Definitely wouldn't give it to Flint. He's a new signing who's still quite young, he doesn't need the added pressure of leading the team IMO, after all, look how it affected Fontaine.

If it was my choice I'd give it to (probably) Cunningham if he's still here, bit I expect it will be Kilkenny.

Does being Captain actually mean/do anything these days? Really?...

If it's the right choice it can make all the difference.

If a Captain is chosen for no other reason than he is long serving, local, or popular amongst the players then he is being given the job for the wrong reason and will have little effect on his team mates and performances.

If he is chosen for his character and leadership qualities, because he stands out from the pack as someone his team mates respect, then he can be a force to positively improve the performance of each individual and the team as a whole.

Contrast an inspirational leader like Shaun Taylor with unmotivational characters like Skuse and Fontaine and the difference is clear for all to see.

If it's the right choice it can make all the difference.

If a Captain is chosen for no other reason than he is long serving, local, or popular amongst the players then he is being given the job for the wrong reason and will have little effect on his team mates and performances.

If he is chosen for his character and leadership qualities, because he stands out from the pack as someone his team mates respect, then he can be a force to positively improve the performance of each individual and the team as a whole.

Contrast an inspirational leader like Shaun Taylor with unmotivational characters like Skuse and Fontaine and the difference is clear for all to see.

Spot on fella.

Definitely wouldn't give it to Flint. He's a new signing who's still quite young, he doesn't need the added pressure of leading the team IMO, after all, look how it affected Fontaine.

If it was my choice I'd give it to (probably) Cunningham if he's still here, bit I expect it will be Kilkenny.

I don't think it was so much the pressure that affected Fontaine. I'd say more an inability to organise, influence, inspire or motivate that ultimately let him down!

Flint does have captains experience at Alfreton. Different level I know but still would have been good experience. A future captain perhaps, if not now.

As for who the Captain should be, as things stand Cunningham or Flint.

I wouldn't rule Flint out just because he's a newcomer, if he's the sort of character to shout at, cajole and get more out of the comfort club of Fontaine, Pearson and Kilkenny etc. - if they stay - then he'll do for me.

It's a fresh start so in many ways choosing a player untainted by last season's collective failure would make sense, and watching him berate last seasons' slackers - if they dare to slack again - would provide alot of satisfaction for the fans.

The other outstanding candidate would be Cunningham, who, despite the odd rush of blood, has shown sufficient commitment in his performances to warrant the role and I'd see him as the favourite at the moment.

I personally wouldn't give it to Flint, but then if he is to be a main stay in the back 4 all season and SoD wants to build the back 4 around him it might be a good idea.

I don't think there is a need for him to be, it could even put unnecessary pressure on him. Trouble is there isn't really a stand out candidate, but we don't know who will be coming and going just yet.

Harry, start a poll, just tried myself and failed miserably...people respect your knowledge of the game, well at least i do !

Mmmm...I can't seem to be able to create a Poll either?

Still none the wiser as to who's up for the captaincy job!

Archived