IGNORED

Who Will Be Our Captain?

Harry

The important thing is having leaders in the team, not necessarily a talisman with a fancy armband. Man U last year cruised the league with a variety of players able to take on the captaincy - Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs, Rooney, Scholes etc.

The question does highlight our lack of real leaders... though on a positive note still optimistic we've got the quality to push for play offs.

I like the idea of Greg, but if I was a betting man my money would be on Marv

Carey will be Club captain I expect, like Monk at Swansea but we'll have a team captain also. I'd give it to Davies personally.

This.

You want someone who plays as if they give a sh!t about the club, inspires in the dressing room, isn't too young and isn't too thick. They also have to be on the same wavelength as the manager as they are the link between him andd the rest of the team.

Fonts has been here a long time, but he has proven to be an abject failure in the role.

Here's a couple of quotes from a book I'm reading.

'A manager will select a captain who can act as a link between him and the dressing room. But where there are tensions between the squad and the clubs hierarchy the captain should always act in the interests of the players. From bonuses and player fines to club functions and time off, a good captain is the one player who concerns himself with the off field politics of a football club'

'The ideal captain can scream at his team mates, disagree with the manager and still maintain a flawless relationship with each an every one, thanks to the respect in which he is held.

It goes on about captains for a bit, but from what this guy says captains are still very important. It makes you wonder, would Fontaine have been highly respected by the other players? Was he a yes man to McInnes which is why he stayed captain for so long? We'll never know, but I believe a captain does matter a lot.

Hard to pick a captain out of the team from what we have left from last season and not seeing new signings in action yet. In fact I don't think the captain is at the club yet, ie its a no to anyone who has done it in the past.

I don't think because someone is young it should be out of the question, eg Caulker would have been capable at a young age. Do Cunningham or Maloney for example have the personality, what about the new keeper if he signs?

A good captain can make a huge difference. Apoor captain just has his photo taken, does a couple of handshakes and wears an armband.

Archived