IGNORED

Hard Men Who Played For City

Major Isewater

Shaun Taylor, the way he used to literally throw himself at the ball, he wore a gum shield. He was utterly fearless. I also remember Louis Carey one game getting booted in the head and Taylor helping the physio bandage his head up. Maybe not the hardest player, but I doubt there's been a braver player pull on the red shirt.

Just to echo a few other posts Mick Harford was as hard as they come, he nearly always lead with his elbow and was properly scary.

On the Dave Martin front I'll never forget the Glos Cup game at AG under Osman, Rovers had been used to kicking lumps out of us under Francis but Ian Baird ( of V sign fame) took objection to a bit of shirt pulling at a throw and on the blind side of the linesman swung an elbow and knocked a Rovers player to the floor. Several Rovers players piled in only for Martin to grab Marcus Browning by the throat, he absolutely crapped himself and it is fair to say that they didn't win the physical battle that day.

Definitely these 2, in my time watching City. Especially Macca.

Not fit to lace Dave Martin or Joe Jordan's boots.

They wouldn't have lasted two minutes again jaws or Dave Martin.

I remember towards the end of a game being stood at the front of the terracing on the dolman Joe Jordan went in about 3 seconds too late on a tackle and you heard a great crack, opposition player rolling in agony, big joe standing over him with a snapped shin pad in his hand " next time it'll be ya ******* leg, now get up ya *****". From that day in he was my hero.

Not fit to lace Dave Martin or Joe Jordan's boots.

They wouldn't have lasted two minutes again jaws or Dave Martin.

I remember towards the end of a game being stood at the front of the terracing on the dolman Joe Jordan went in about 3 seconds too late on a tackle and you heard a great crack, opposition player rolling in agony, big joe standing over him with a snapped shin pad in his hand " next time it'll be ya ******* leg, now get up ya *****". From that day in he was my hero.

Oh I'm sure you're right. Sadly I never saw much of Joe Jordan though.

Different game now I guess.

Mike Summerbee of Swindon and Man C was asked how he came to be so hard. His answer -

"There was this full-back at Bristol City called Thresher. He was the hardest..."

He claimed to have learnt from Thresh, and I don't doubt it for a moment ;)

Mike Summerbee of Swindon and Man C was asked how he came to be so hard. His answer -

"There was this full-back at Bristol City called Thresher. He was the hardest..."

He claimed to have learnt from Thresh, and I don't doubt it for a moment ;)

That is what my dad used to say. Never seen harder than Thresher. Said he marked Matthews out of the game in a cup match.

That is what my dad used to say. Never seen harder than Thresher. Said he marked Matthews out of the game in a cup match.

He did. I was there. Apparently he asked our Stan for his autograph after the game, as well.

For right or wrong reasons I'm another Dave Martin fan, thug or not he literally fought for the cause.

As for Joe Jordan, he only had to look at some opponents and they crumpled. Even had a fight when he was our manager didn't he (away at Wolves).

For right or wrong reasons I'm another Dave Martin fan, thug or not he literally fought for the cause.

As for Joe Jordan, he only had to look at some opponents and they crumpled. Even had a fight when he was our manager didn't he (away at Wolves).

Both legends in my eyes, I learnt a lot from watching those two over the years as a kid. I copied Dave Martin dead ball marking much to the distain of my junior teams manager.

Dave Martin 100%. Thug, footballer, angry man. Either way if we'd have had a few of him last year we'd have been ok.

Cant be @rsed to trawl through but surely sean taylor is on here? I remember him once dipping his shoulder into a striker in front of the dolman and literally picking him up and putting him in somersault over his shoulder. Quality.

Norman Hunter definitely the hardest defender, combined with class and guile. Dave Rodgers was also pretty hard (less class and guile though!). They were are most successful central defensive pairing we had in the top flight playing loads of games in 78/79, our highest finish in living memory.

I would also give a shout to Dele Adebola, remember the televised game against Southampton away (we won 1-0 Lee Johnson). At times Dele had his back to goal and was like a one man rugby scrum in reverse. His physical presence must have given most defenders plenty to think about and a few bruises. Talking of forwards, Robbie Turner used to be a handful. There was a period when Gerry Gow and John Emmanuel were our central midfield, if one crunching tackle missed you could be sure there was another coming in the next few seconds!

Not forgetting Gary Shelton, small but tough.

Archived