IGNORED

Hard Men Who Played For City

Major Isewater

That is what my dad used to say. Never seen harder than Thresher. Said he marked Matthews out of the game in a cup match.

I post rarely in old age, but Thresher is the man.He did mark Matthews out of the game and every other winger that tried to get past him.

Rednready 1943-2013

I post rarely in old age, but Thresher is the man.He did mark Matthews out of the game and every other winger that tried to get past him.

Rednready 1943-2013

This reads like a tombstone fella,

You posted this after your death ?

Thats what i call a réal supporter.

Only jesting ,Happy that this thread got you tapping the keyboard .

Respect to you.have you any more stories you can share with us young whippersnappers?

Andy Llewellyn

I've posted before - didn't he hospitalise Gerry Francis once with a tackle so late that there was time to ring the ambulance between the ball leaving Francis' foot and Llewy tackling him?

But I wouldn't say he was hard

Not like Galliers, Gow or Dave "Mental" Martin were hard

Can I John MacPhail? IIRC he could put his foot in, also Ivan Testimetanu (sp?) who knew how to tackle...

Rednready 1943-2013

I just remember Mike Thresher, like a well built Sweeney, with Curly Hair.

When he retired he was a joiner or carpenter I think.

My dad used to say that a player only went past Thresher once on his own legs, the second time was on a stretcher.

I just remember Mike Thresher, like a well built Sweeney, with Curly Hair.

When he retired he was a joiner or carpenter I think.

My dad used to say that a player only went past Thresher once on his own legs, the second time was on a stretcher.

A great comment from you're dad !

My best memory of Mike Thresher was his competitive nature. On the very rare occasion that a winger went past him, he would turn , chase and run the winger down. He was fast and simply the best. He and Atyeo are my two best players since my first game in 1947.

A great comment from you're dad !

My best memory of Mike Thresher was his competitive nature. On the very rare occasion that a winger went past him, he would turn , chase and run the winger down. He was fast and simply the best. He and Atyeo are my two best players since my first game in 1947.

It's gréât to see that these players live on in the memory and thanks to seasoned supporters like you (First match 1947 ,and i thought i had suffered ! ) they will enter into the conscience of all .

God bless you and the sportsmen who have played a part in our lives.

Archived