IGNORED

Hard Men Who Played For City

Major Isewater

In this time of forwards who fall to the ground If the defender so much as passes wind within 10 foot of him i miss the hard ,but fair,players.

The moment when an attack was broken up by "bites yer legs" the attacker waving to the apollo crew before returning to earth to continue with out so much as a how do you do .

Of those who played for city i give you;

Sir Norman Hunter

Lord Gow

Shaun Taylor

John "Billy Bunter" Bailey

And of course Lee Johnson

Ok i jest for the little Lee

But there must have been more ?

Help me out here

I remember hearing an interview with Dave Beasant, he was talking about playing for Wimbledon at the Gate in the early 80's, he said how he'd come for the ball and kneed Mick Hartford in the stomach/chest. In the changing room at half time he was told how Hartford was bringing up blood. Hartford went out and played the second half, and Beasant went up for a cross with him and that was the last thing he remembered that day!

dave martin

bar none

With you there. Truly nasty piece of work. Hard and a animal. I've been going since the time of Gow. I haven't seen worse. Some people are hard, some just nasty, this bloke was something else. Crumpled opponents then when the game continued, refs back turned, the stamps and punches went in.

I really cannot compare any other bloke to him since I started going.

Not sure he would of got anywhere near Barnes.

I don't think he cared for reputation pace or trickery. Yes you could beat him, but once it was free kick time and people were static.... well, good luck!

During the early 60's city's mainstay team was:-Ron Nicholls or Tony Cook, Tony Ford, Alec Briggs or Mike Thresher, Gordon Parr or Bobby Etheridge, Jack Connor, Gordon Low or Chuck Drury, Brian Clark and John Atyeo or Terry Bush, they were every man jack of them hard men, you wouldn't want to mess with any of them and you knew you had been in a game when playing against them. As a team I have never known a BCFC team harder than that ever.

During the early 60's city's mainstay team was:-Ron Nicholls or Tony Cook, Tony Ford, Alec Briggs or Mike Thresher, Gordon Parr or Bobby Etheridge, Jack Connor, Gordon Low or Chuck Drury, Brian Clark and John Atyeo or Terry Bush, they were every man jack of them hard men, you wouldn't want to mess with any of them and you knew you had been in a game when playing against them. As a team I have never known a BCFC team harder than that ever.

This is a good point. It’s all very well having the odd hard-man in the team, but if the rest are a bunch of powder-puffs, then the end result is nothing special. The City team of this period all got stuck in to a degree that would probably not be allowed today.

Similarly, the Leeds team of the 1970s were all hard men. Whether or not they played within the rules is open to debate, but the team, as a team, was very difficult to play against.

The hardman of my parents' generation; actively remembered with respect by City fans of that era and regarded as dirty by Rovers fans was Ernie "Ginger" Peacock. Played for City 1946 - 1959, 357 appearances (or 343 if you believe wiki).

Wiki (linked below) is sadly deficient so from David Woods' The Bristol Babe:

"'Ginger' was an excellent clubman whose temparement off the pitch was in direct contrast to his attitude on it, where he showed a fiery commitment and a temper that sometimes matched his red hair.

He is still remembered by many older supporters, who considered that no one wore the City shirt with greater pride than good old Ginger."

jw88888.jpg

Front left, from the Three Lions and a Robin fanzine http://www.bcfc3lions.co.uk/page227.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Peacock

Archived