IGNORED

How Did You Become A Bristol City Supporter, And Why?

Lammers

Born in Bristol (66), got taken to both City and Rovers by family..

My folks relocated to mid Sussex when I was 10 years old and City was a top flight club in my early school years..

The kids took the Pee out of my accent and the Wurzels in the charts at that time but it made them my lot..

A bit of a split family with the two clubs, had a cousin who played for Rovers and Liverpool, But Im red.. End of.

My first game watching City was a pre season friendly against the 'Premier Leagues, might Southampton' (As radio Bristol put it) back in 1998. Went down to the Gate with a mate whos a Spurs fan and sat in the Williams. That walk up the steps and out in the stand got me hooked straight away. Loved the atmosphere, the banter and the passion the fans had around the ground and from that game on I was hooked. After the game we waited for autographs (including Carl Hutchings, which has to be worth a mint now).

I went to nearly every home game that season and sat mostly in the Ateyo in H block, which had a great atmosphere. Although it was a pretty gutting season, I witnessed some cracking moments which i'll remember forever, including the classic half time entertainment of the 3 little pigs against the Wolves mascot :yawn:

Anyway, most of my family are Gas Heads although, none really like football, but i grew up on the Mems doorstep so god knows how i didnt follow them lot. Glad I made the right choice though and have loved the ups and downs over the years, and despite last seasons agony, am really looking forward to the new season.

COYR

Born in Bishopsworth 1965

My mother grew up in Ashton and had been a city fan since the early 50's and took me to city v Brian cloughs Forest in around 75/76. We lost 2-0 but I was hooked! My next game was 2-2 v Chelsea and my first win was that historic promotion night v Portsmouth -Have been going ever since!

Work took me to Scotland from 1990-96 where I watched Hearts and Hibs, but was never really a supporter/ Moved back to Street 1996-2006 when me and my two boys had season tickets in the Atyeo

Work took me away again to near Ipswich in 2006

Get to quite few away games and a few home games each season, but still follow the club closely.

Will probably move back west at some point.

Was quite a good footballer when I was young,so used to play with lads a few years older than me,all city fans so got dragged down to Ashton gate on Saturdays,must admit first time left at half time,east end noise was scary,was only about 8yo,since then off and on then hooked,passed this on to my 2 sons, 18+8,been in Williams and dolman,but back to the scary east end!!

First game was 24.04.1965 home to Oldham (won 2-0 and the great man scored). I don't really remember it but the family tell me I went!

I am a City fan because my parents are. Dad is not a Bristolian but started to watch City when he moved here in the late 50s because my Grandfather was staunch City (despite being born and bred on the blue side of town). My Mum adopted the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" sometime in the 70s and became the most avid of all of us. Rumour has it she did used to go to Eastville as a teenager but it's one of those things we don't talk about!

My first game watching City was a pre season friendly against the 'Premier Leagues, might Southampton' (As radio Bristol put it) back in 1998

I was mascot for that game! Looking back to my five year old self and the players that I met that day - Mark Hughes, Matt Le Tissier, Wayne Bridge, James Beattie etc - I didn't really have a clue of how big a club Saints were at that time! And now I live there!

I followed football for 4 years, mainly England at world cups, but being a (slightly) younger fan I only realized there was club football when I was 4! I was given a choice by my step dad to either support that other team or City, I remember it now! My first game was a 3-1 win against Chesterfield either in 05-06 or 06-07, it was my dad that took me and not being a particularly big football fan he has to sit with me in the EE every other Saturday for a year! Think he seriously regrets that day now...

PS: In saying that he has just offered to take me to Gillingham for the capital one cup tie so maybe all these years of watching have changed him to!

I moved to Bristol in 1989 wasn't really a football fan my dad used to take me to see Gloucestershire RFC quite a lot. In 1997 joe Jordan was a guest speaker and an end of year awards at my school. My mum said to me "do you know who that is? He is the manager of Bristol City. So I've supported ever since.

Now been a ST holder since 2007 and a parkender!!!!

My Father who is a Palace fan (as are all my family) first took me to Ashton Gate when I was circa 3 - 4 years old. I'm 53 now and can still remember some of it !!

Anyway, Palace won 1 nil and I came out of the ground as a City fan forever much to Pa's disappointment.

Really dodgey memory but ......half my life in Kingswood the other half in Gloucester.....(I think, pretty sure) me and a couple of mates first went to Eastville :facepalm: for first game cannot remember who they :gasmask: played, may even of been us, anyway so impressed (not) we got the coach from Soundwell the week after, straight into the car park behind the E.E that was 66/67 after that hooked and went to all our home games and most away for the next ten/15 yrs.

Attendance support has slowly faded since then due to family/work/been there done that etc,etc, get there when I can now but will follow us for ever. :city:

Ah the essex Gladys and the parrot and proper cider. I used to go in but the cobbler was my local being from top of spring hill. The essex was full of reds the cobbler was a city pub. Went to many away day with the cobbler lot. Funny really I had pockets of red all over Kingswood and even at Grange the school I went too. Funny no one ever picked on me . Will pm mate but just finishing night shift. 47 BTW does that make a young un

Ah the essex Gladys and the parrot and proper cider. I used to go in but the cobbler was my local being from top of spring hill. The essex was full of reds the cobbler was a city pub. Went to many away day with the cobbler lot. Funny really I had pockets of red all over Kingswood and even at Grange the school I went too. Funny no one ever picked on me . Will pm mate but just finishing night shift. 47 BTW does that make a young un

Went to The Grange before it was the grange and where it is now and called Woodstock. My brother lives in Spring Hill, but we dont talk anymore, he`s never watched City anyway. Me mums still alive and living in Greenways :thumbsup:

Hehe can't edit my post which makes my Grange education look bad .......oh wait it was. Should never attempt post's from phone and after Night shifts. Parent's still live in Nympsfield, but It seems I am now a traitor living in Oldland Common

Archived