IGNORED

How Did You Become A Bristol City Supporter, And Why?

Lammers

i was there that night and Collymore was superb.....yes my dad took me to my first game which was wembley v bolton, i was hooked but over recent years have come to accept that we are destined to always be a very average championship/div 1 yo yo club. My heroes were the likes of Walsh/Taylor/Goater but not for a long time bar maybe Murray have we had someone who i believe comes close to the hero status i pinned on those 3, I also really appreciated the skill of Nicky Maynard, i know he gets a rough ride on here but he was some player for us at a time when we had already started to slide......so now i also have more than a passing interest in Arsenal going back to the days of wright/adams/merson et al

Being born and always living in watford I had a choice of city, watford or brentford (mums team).

My dad would go city every week so that's where I went. Had a fleeting like of Liverpool, but more for the players rather than the club.

Thanks dad!

I grew up in Hartcliffe

All my family uncles and cousins are all Gash Heads in north Bristol

1970 my uncle kept taking me to Gash games, whilst slagging off City in front of me

I hated it, him saying all this

And it turnt me against the Gash

1972 I started cycling to the City games whilst my uncle continued to take me to the Gash games

with people all around me slagging off City

From 1973 onwards I stopped going to the Gash games as I did not enjoy it

I then became the biggest City fan there is, and went to every game I could with my brothers and mates on our cycles

I was born in Bristol, grew up in Bristol and my father is a City fan and so I've naturally followed him as he took me to games, bought me a season ticket etc. My father laid the foundations and I've been a City fan ever since.

My Gran worked in the Tobacco Factory, I used to sit on her knee and she used to tell me stories of City games & how they used to walk from Hanham to squeeze in to the ground, I was hooked with romance of it all.

My cousin vowed to take me, it was probably around 81/82 I seem to remember it being Plymouth & losing 2-1, I was up high in the Dolman & loved it!

Some years later around the age of 10 we played Rovers in the Gloucestershire Cup, on the way out we walked past the away enclosure, being a very angry boy, I jumped onto the railings, spat and threw a lovely sneaky punch at a lad twice my size, I can still see the steward laughing now, that was the beginning of the end, :laugh:!!!!

Born and raised in BS3 our whole family are City through and through my first games were the Liverpool games in the fa cup hooked ever since especially the Anfield game still get goosebumps thinking about it what an atmosphere that was 10k City fans singing thier hearts out.

As a very young, 9 yo, paper boy from a non football loving family, I would be glued to the back pages of the WDP on my round.

I would follow City's fortunes like other boys followed their heroes in comics. It was the season before we got promoted to the top tier, so when we started to do so well the in the promotion season I was well and truly hooked.

The Chelsea top I had been given as a present, due to me loving Peter Osgood, was ditched and I persuaded my uncle to take me to the Mecca that was Ashton Gate, some 50 miles away.

We went in the East end and when the first chant went up I was blown away, if this was a religion or cult I was now a signed up for life.

That's an easy one to answer: My dad, granddads and probably great granddads all were supporters. My family are red through-and-through and all grew up in the Ashton/Bedminster/Southville area.

Three of my great-granddads were miners in the South Liberty Pit in Bemmy Down and the other operated the old Gaol Ferry.

When family trees have been done, I can see our family have been Bristolians for at least 200 years.

I never had another option. :city:

south Bristol born and bred. Dads family all Red. Where I grew up (Kildare rd,Knowle) we would play football in Merrywood school,when it was shut,until the caretaker kicked us out. We could stand on the railings at the back of the fields and look down Novers hill to the city ground. The original home of City was the old Robs ground at St Johns lane.So I guess thats where My Dads family got the City bug from. As kids ,me and my mates would walk down the Novers steps,along Winterstoke to the City ground with our scrap books and a football. We would spend hours waiting for the players ,to get their autograghs ( on non match days ) I remember getting Big gentleman John Atyeo,Brian Clark,Gordon Low,Gordon Parr,Jack Connor.Tony Ford,Mike Gibson,Chuck Drury, and many more. The first game I went to was Oldham home 2-0. The win sent us up to div 2.(now the championship.) I've supported City in All Four divisions Home and away,for richer for poorer in sickness and in health. Unfortunately my Dad died before we got promoted to the top League,so a few tears mixed with the jubilation at the Portsmouth game that sent us up and our first game,away to Arsenal back in the top division.

My dad was a City fan and used to attend games with my grandfather. I asked dad to take me to a game and he would not as the crowds were much larger than now. I was 6 years old and kept on and on for him to take me and in the end my mother said " Take her Ray she will never want to go again" Mum how wrong were you. 54 years on I am still as passionate about the City and still follow them home and away. Just really glad that my family never supported that other team!!!! City til I die.

Kingswood mask, I was slightly luckier than you in the fact I wasn't born in Kingswood, but certainly raised alll my life there. Sir respect your steadfastness and years of suffering. I think we are missionary's with an impossible task. They are beyond redemption.

Do I know thee sir.

south Bristol born and bred. Dads family all Red. Where I grew up (Kildare rd,Knowle) we would play football in Merrywood school,when it was shut,until the caretaker kicked us out. We could stand on the railings at the back of the fields and look down Novers hill to the city ground. The original home of City was the old Robs ground at St Johns lane.So I guess thats where My Dads family got the City bug from. As kids ,me and my mates would walk down the Novers steps,along Winterstoke to the City ground with our scrap books and a football. We would spend hours waiting for the players ,to get their autograghs ( on non match days ) I remember getting Big gentleman John Atyeo,Brian Clark,Gordon Low,Gordon Parr,Jack Connor.Tony Ford,Mike Gibson,Chuck Drury, and many more. The first game I went to was Oldham home 2-0. The win sent us up to div 2.(now the championship.) I've supported City in All Four divisions Home and away,for richer for poorer in sickness and in health. Unfortunately my Dad died before we got promoted to the top League,so a few tears mixed with the jubilation at the Portsmouth game that sent us up and our first game,away to Arsenal back in the top division.

That used to be my pilgrimage every Saturday when my garnd parents were alive. The walk every match day down from Novers Hill to the gate....seems so long ago now.

Kingswood mask, I was slightly luckier than you in the fact I wasn't born in Kingswood, but certainly raised alll my life there. Sir respect your steadfastness and years of suffering. I think we are missionary's with an impossible task. They are beyond redemption.

Do I know thee sir.

Depends on age and habits, mainly nocturnal, if you're over fifty you stand a chance

Dad's fault. He used to tell my brother and I stories about watching city in the glory days and finally took us to the gate in 1992. City 2 Leicester 1. We sat in the east end and went 1-0 down. I remember Andy Cole scoring and an own goal. I also remember hoping and praying we could hold the lead, fingers crossed and all! Final whistle went and never looked back!

I can remember the stand before the Dolman and when they knocked it down so I guess my first game was back then...The first game I truly remeber we had John Galley playing upfront...However I remember Gibbo in goal and Garland up front (the first time) so mid late 60's...

We lived in Guildford so it was a hell of a treck before the M4

I can't remember old stand but I can remember Dolman going up and the fact it blocked out peoples view from the flats!

I was about 5 first game, can't remember it. I can remember being shown around stadium when me and my dad went to get tickets for the game. We sat on the benches which ran around the side of the pitch! Another early memory was Galley scoring 3 on debut.

Always been a City fan, as are my 2 sons, who were born and and brought up in Wales! (I feel sorry for them too!).

Archived