IGNORED

How Did You Become A Bristol City Supporter, And Why?

Lammers

Please dont mistake the title as a downer it's hopefully a positive.

I was born in Southmead and raised (For a few years) in Bedminster, My parents moved to Lincolnshire when i was three.

I grew up with little interest in football til i was about fifteen, my mate and his parents took me in and he was is a huge Leeds supporter, So from that i saw a lot of Leeds Utd, then one day he said "Look mate, you have to have your own team, so i said i was born in Bristol so i'll support Bristol, He then told me there are two teams in Bristol,

So i looked into my roots and City fitted.

I dont get back as much as i would like, and i dont get to loads of matches, even lost the accent unless im in Bristol for more than 24 hrs then the accent comes back, weird i know..

BUT I fly our flag and i'm the only Bristolian in the town, My landlord even calls me Bristol, (which i quite like). He's a Derby Supporter..

Sorry for the long story, and even more sorry about the two teams bit, :laugh: ...

Just curious

liking this already thanks guys, Just always interests me because im the only guy in my town and a good size radius, i often get into banter with lots but i always get why city, but now loads of my mates all look for citys results.obviously for banter reasons..

last season and a few before, in my local pub, we all bet on who will finish highest. £20 a team, supporters in my local include, Derby 1 supporter, Forest 3, Leeds 5, Huddersfield 1, cost me a bloody small fortune :laugh:, but the ride continues

Grandad supported them and saw them at the fa cup final....dad, uncle and cousins all red. When I was a kid There could be anything up to 20 of us in the east end stood next to the very vocal gasworks man. Been a supporting attendibg red since I Was 4. I had no chance really but red till dead. First game circa 1970

• Admin

I grew up in Kent to non-football loving parents and my closest professional team was (fortunately) an hour drive away (Gillingham). My first memory of football was as a small lad seeing a Man Utd game on the telly in the 80's (they lost) and I felt sorry for their fans as they looked sad. I then spent the next 10 years or so "following" United (supporting is too strong a word) and my father - bless him - took me to watch them a couple of times each season when they would play in London even though he really doesn't like football.

We then moved as a family to Bristol and I could see Ashton Gate from my bedroom window & I was determined I would support my local team now I had one (thank god Rovers were exiled in Bath! ;) ) Literally the day after the moving vans left I was at my first game (an Anglo-Italian match against Oxford I think) and haven't looked back since. I have managed at times to get my brother fleetingly interested but generally my family remain steadfast in their football free world......although my father does make an effort to read up on City news once a week so he can chat to me about it :)

Do your worst..... ;)

Same as most I guess, old man took me when I was young. First game was a 4-1 defeat at home to forest in December '93. Despite that I was hooked.

Grew up in Bedminster but couldn't really afford to get to games. It made me appreciate and enjoy it more when we did go.

Went along with my grandad in 1998 for my first game against Wolves I believe. Lost 6-1 and the mascots had a fight. Only missed 3 games at home since! Rotherham when we went up! And then against QPR when we won 1-0 Maynard scored and the other one being the 3-0 win over Hull on final day of season a few years back.

Even though born and raised in 30mins walk from Eastville ( handy for the County ground ), Always been Red.

Dad watched both, but the rest of the family not supporters really and their leanings were wrong.

The lads I grew up with( a few older ones I guess lead the way) all supported City, just about all my mates did and still do follow City. I wasn't allowed down on my own until I was ten , 1970 and Sunderland we won 4-3. Typical 70's football really, noise, trouble,goals , singing and I would never look back.

My dad took me to a 0-0 draw against Northampton at AG in 98 as a 5 year old. Was a football fanatic and stat-man extraordinare even at that age, I was hooked; wrote Bristol city stories at primary school, drew pictures of players for school projects the lot!

Walsall (2-1 win) at home to celebrate our promotion and the away game at PNE (2-1 loss) in the same season were my next games and 15 years later the passion for the club is still strong!

My Dad's side of the family were City through and through. He took me to my first game around 84/85 and apparently i fell asleep during it.

I also took a shine to the Liverpool side of the same time and somewhere have a scrap book with City going to Wembley and LFC winning the double in 86. I remember my Dads disgust when someone bought me a Liverpool shirt. I soon grew up and realised there was no pride in "supporting" a club 100's of miles away & now have a distinct dislike for Liverpool and armchair supporters.

My grandparents actually kept going regularly after my Dad had stopped and i often went with them, standing in the same spot to the right of the rear Eastend exit for years until i was old enough to go by myself. Met most of my mates through watching City and have some fantastic memories and for all the disappointment wouldn't swap it for anything.

Same as most I guess, old man took me when I was young. First game was a 4-1 defeat at home to forest in December '93. Despite that I was hooked.

Grew up in Bedminster but couldn't really afford to get to games. It made me appreciate and enjoy it more when we did go.

Collymore hat trick or am I getting confused?

When I was growing up my parents and sisters weren't football fans but from the age of around 7 I was fanatical about football. A few of my uncle's supported the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United. I went along and 'followed' these teams changing my mind regulary depending who was winning but I was never really happy supporting any of these teams. Being from Somerset there wasn't a great choice of local teams.

At the age of 11 I realised I had to pick one team. This was around the same time I discovered my Grandad (who died when I was 2) was born and grew up a stones throw away from Ashton Gate and was a big City fan. I then started supporting City myself and knew instantly that this was the team for me. I haven't looked back since.

It now winds me up so much how the majority of my friends support the big Premier League teams and I'm so glad I never turned into one of these people. CTID

Born and bred in Bridgwater (oh dear), Dad was a season ticket holder in the 70s and early 80s before coming a bit despondent with it. But as soon as I was old enough, in the early 90s, we both started going again and he got back into it.

Went to a few games before, but the Man Utd 3-3 sticks in my mind as earliest memory. The bright lights of the Premier League was a big draw for most kids in Somerset but City prevailed. for me.

I grew up in the South East and was a Wimbledon season ticket holder in the mid 90's.....fell out of love with the game until I moved to Bristol and worked at Ashton Gate doing the Players Lounge security and FRG, where I got to meet the manager (GJ) and players + VIP's.

Got dragged in. Supported them ever since.

I can remember the stand before the Dolman and when they knocked it down so I guess my first game was back then...The first game I truly remeber we had John Galley playing upfront...However I remember Gibbo in goal and Garland up front (the first time) so mid late 60's...

We lived in Guildford so it was a hell of a treck before the M4

Bristol born,grandad followed City, lived in Hotwells.

Sunday match,black and white telly(ok for watching Notts County ,Newcastle ...)

Football nut as a kid ,collected all the cards ,stickers,coins,the Sun stamps,My grandparents got me the "esso" coins and those little plastic busts of players even though they did n't own a car !

It was just after the world cup win in 1966 and football was just about the only thing to do on a saturday afternoon.Spending an hour or two in a bl**dy girt queue to get in the ground and sing.

Even though we aren't the most successful club ,it's our club and i have no regrets and equally no choice .we all know it CTID

Like most got taken by my dad, for me it was the mid sixties, we had seen some up's and lots of down's together, sadly my dad is no longer with us.

when we got promoted to the championship and everyone was so happy jumping about and running on the pitch, I just sat in my seat thinking of my dad, he would have loved this I thought, I had tears running down my face.

Thanks dad for making me a red.

Archived