IGNORED

Carey Wants The Top Job

Robin 101

What codswallop.

RedM's a long standing City fan and just as entitled to post her opinion on club matters as you are.

Nothing offensive about what she said.

Just as entitled as me or you or anyone else to post her opinion on club matters. But how is it a club matter to say "Look at him for christs sake, can you honestly take him seriously, he's like a comic book caricature, what has he done to himself?"

I'm just saying there shouldn't be any place on this forum to slag off any of our players for the way they look. Least of all from someone who has "moderator" after their name. It's a sad reflection on the forum to be honest.

Would rather stay away from the ex-player as manager thing. Can't think of a time it's worked too well for any club before and really changed their fortunes for the better.

It worked incredibly well for Liverpool until Benitez became their first non-ex-player manager. I don't particularly have a desire to see Louis become manager btw, but if he goes elsewhere and does well then I certainly wouldn't be against it. My impression though is that he's 'one of the lads' and that style of management rarely works long-term

It worked incredibly well for Liverpool until Benitez became their first non-ex-player manager. I don't particularly have a desire to see Louis become manager btw, but if he goes elsewhere and does well then I certainly wouldn't be against it. My impression though is that he's 'one of the lads' and that style of management rarely works long-term

When did Houlier play for LFC? Though I agree!

Louis, I strongly advise against making any future application. Keep your reputation intact unless you fancy 8 years of 'exile' in Spain.

As today is somehow cold and clammy simultaneously, I'd say 8 years in Spain sounds like a bloody good thing! ;-)

I don't see how people can decide yes or no at this stage.

Firstly I have to say that Louis Carey, the player, gets some undeserved stick from a very small minority of posters on here. I am a firm believer that ANY player who plays 600+ games of professional football at any level like Louis Carey and Mickey Bell have/did can obviously play the game, obviously has a degree of tactical awareness and clearly carries out the instructions of the Manager/Coaches on match day. If they didn't they would not fool so many Managers over so many years (please note that carrying out the instructions of the Manager may differ from what the tactical experts on here THINK they should be doing). You simply cannot FLUKE 600 games of professional football - it's a total impossibility however much one or two of you dislike the bloke.

On the Management side of things I would say that Louis would have to prove his credentials in terms of qualifications, experience, track record and how he comes across at interview just like we would expect any other prospective Manager of the club to do. Should he be given the Manager's job because he is Louis Carey? Obviously not. Would I want him to be cutting his teeth and making his first mistakes in Management at this club? Again, No.

But, if Louis passes all his Coaching badges, obtains the UEFA Professional License, gets some experience under proven Managers elsewhere and proves himself once he takes the Management reins himself then why wouldn't we consider him? In the same way I wouldn't give him the job because he is Louis Carey I certainly wouldn't refuse him the job for that very same reason either. If he turned up at interview with the qualifications, experience and track record and he is the best applicant then he gets the job, END OF.

Just as entitled as me or you or anyone else to post her opinion on club matters. But how is it a club matter to say "Look at him for christs sake, can you honestly take him seriously, he's like a comic book caricature, what has he done to himself?"I'm just saying there shouldn't be any place on this forum to slag off any of our players for the way they look. Least of all from someone who has "moderator" after their name. It's a sad reflection on the forum to be honest.

Just catching up with this thread. I'm sorry but that's my opinion and I am entitled to say it, just as you are. My opinions are my own, if you don't like them please put me on ignore.

Would you rather I agreed that everything has always been rosy at the club and the sun shone out of everything and everybody and only allowed positive comments on here? what a dull, plastic place it would be then even if it no longer was a 'sad reflection' huh?

By the way, I have nothing against the bloke as a player, he gave good service. But to be hinting now he wants the top job is poor and I hope the board have learnt from past mistakes. Yup if he goes away and proves himself elsewhere, he can be interviewed along with other applicants, but just because he played for a club for x number of years isn't enough.

I expect a manager to be able to manage, be smart, professional and have good contacts in the game. I want him to be media savvy and to be able to string a sentence together. There has to be a professional distance between himself and the players. The manager very much represents the club and the image it portrays.

Head still saying no by the way.

Sorry but no, no, and even more no. No doubt he loves the club, but he loved Coventry too when it suited. He has been well rewarded and probably doesn't want to uproot his large family so it's convenient for him to linger around here.

I cannot believe for one moment he is management material in any shape or form. Look at him for christs sake, can you honestly take him seriously, he's like a comic book caricature, what has he done to himself? Can only see a future of job share with Murray when he finally retires I think.

Heart might say give him a job at the club but the head certainly does not.

Perhaps that was because his first love was his FAMILY not his current employer. A lot of people are guilty of that as unbelievable as it may sound to you. His view at the time was that he looked round the team bus at players earning a shed load more than him and not prepared to break their nose for the cause like he has half a dozen times in his career and he therefore thought that if someone else values him more then he would take the money. I wouldn't be happy myself if I was sat next to some wimp going through the motions every Saturday on double my money so I don't have an issue with Carey's view to be honest. We can only presume that when he came back so quickly he was afforded the luxury of a higher salary just like the other incoming players he was annoyed with on that team bus. Sort of thing that happens all the time in business so why should a footballer with a family to look after when he retires be any different?

Firstly I have to say that Louis Carey, the player, gets some undeserved stick from a very small minority of posters on here. I am a firm believer that ANY player who plays 600+ games of professional football at any level like Louis Carey and Mickey Bell have/did can obviously play the game, obviously has a degree of tactical awareness and clearly carries out the instructions of the Manager/Coaches on match day. If they didn't they would not fool so many Managers over so many years (please note that carrying out the instructions of the Manager may differ from what the tactical experts on here THINK they should be doing). You simply cannot FLUKE 600 games of professional football - it's a total impossibility however much one or two of you dislike the bloke.

On the Management side of things I would say that Louis would have to prove his credentials in terms of qualifications, experience, track record and how he comes across at interview just like we would expect any other prospective Manager of the club to do. Should he be given the Manager's job because he is Louis Carey? Obviously not. Would I want him to be cutting his teeth and making his first mistakes in Management at this club? Again, No.

But, if Louis passes all his Coaching badges, obtains the UEFA Professional License, gets some experience under proven Managers elsewhere and proves himself once he takes the Management reins himself then why wouldn't we consider him? In the same way I wouldn't give him the job because he is Louis Carey I certainly wouldn't refuse him the job for that very same reason either. If he turned up at interview with the qualifications, experience and track record and he is the best applicant then he gets the job, END OF.

it's called a serious amount of ass licking!! I might be in the minority but I really dislike Louis, he hasn't succeeded anywhere else and has only played so many games as he's viewed as Mr bristol City. I suspect he licks the managers ass whilst behind his back stabs him in it.

it's called a serious amount of ass licking!! I might be in the minority but I really dislike Louis, he hasn't succeeded anywhere else and has only played so many games as he's viewed as Mr bristol City. I suspect he licks the managers ass whilst behind his back stabs him in it.

Don't worry, you're not !

You are

Great, manager bashing someone who isn't even qualified yet, words fail me. The guy loves bcfc, he is happy to stay at the club as a leader and aid SOD and th younger players. If his aspirations are genuine I'd say go for it. Will probably have to go elsewhere first but someone has said he'd love to manage this club in the future and we're saying no. Lots of people seem to put books down based on their cover. If we employed him now he'd probably be carp. But he will learn, he will progress and who knows.

Some people on this board are so quick to have a pop. Using Millen and Tinman as examples of former players is poor, both were thrust to the helm without experience. And the BBC interview I'm sure he regrets as others have pointed out, he couldn't just blurt out that the squatters (combining threads here) are shit.

Just as entitled as me or you or anyone else to post her opinion on club matters. But how is it a club matter to say "Look at him for christs sake, can you honestly take him seriously, he's like a comic book caricature, what has he done to himself?"

I'm just saying there shouldn't be any place on this forum to slag off any of our players for the way they look. Least of all from someone who has "moderator" after their name. It's a sad reflection on the forum to be honest.

Sorry but RedM is spot on what a stupid comment to make anyone would think Roger Malone was his dad.

Great, manager bashing someone who isn't even qualified yet, words fail me. The guy loves bcfc, he is happy to stay at the club as a leader and aid SOD and th younger players. If his aspirations are genuine I'd say go for it. Will probably have to go elsewhere first but someone has said he'd love to manage this club in the future and we're saying no. Lots of people seem to put books down based on their cover. If we employed him now he'd probably be carp. But he will learn, he will progress and who knows.

Some people on this board are so quick to have a pop. Using Millen and Tinman as examples of former players is poor, both were thrust to the helm without experience. And the BBC interview I'm sure he regrets as others have pointed out, he couldn't just blurt out that the squatters (combining threads here) are shit.

What nonsense, Carey has put his hat in the ring and you want us to blow smoke up his arse? and for the record Tinnion or Millen were thrust into absolutely nothing, they wanted the job end of and with that sort of negative experience Carey IMO needs to get right away from AG learn his trade and prove himself at another club, build up a reputation and come back with a proven track record, although I suspect this being BCFC the next time a managerial wheel falls off, the same mistake of "I know let's give the job to a legend with absolutely no experience, that'll go do well with the fans", "yeah, third time lucky perhaps"?.

Just catching up with this thread. I'm sorry but that's my opinion and I am entitled to say it, just as you are. My opinions are my own, if you don't like them please put me on ignore.

Would you rather I agreed that everything has always been rosy at the club and the sun shone out of everything and everybody and only allowed positive comments on here? what a dull, plastic place it would be then even if it no longer was a 'sad reflection' huh?

By the way, I have nothing against the bloke as a player, he gave good service. But to be hinting now he wants the top job is poor and I hope the board have learnt from past mistakes. Yup if he goes away and proves himself elsewhere, he can be interviewed along with other applicants, but just because he played for a club for x number of years isn't enough.

I expect a manager to be able to manage, be smart, professional and have good contacts in the game. I want him to be media savvy and to be able to string a sentence together. There has to be a professional distance between himself and the players. The manager very much represents the club and the image it portrays.

Head still saying no by the way.

Out of interest have you heard the audio? The reporter asked him if he one day would like to manage, he said, yes one day he'd love to manage the club but it's nowhere in the near future. The man has an aspiration to one day manage the club he loves?! Why is that poor? How would you have preferred he answered the question? and where is it hinted that he'd expect the job based on just his loyal service to the club?

You suspect - but you have no proof other than your irrational dislike.

And he hasn't gone anywhere else to succeed - other than five minutes in Coventry. He is happy living and bringing up his family in Bristol. So are most people who post on this board!

I'd say he has succeeded here. Matured into a canny and solid Championship defender.

What nonsense, Carey has put his hat in the ring

In what world can you seriously say 'Carey has put his hat in the ring'?!

He got asked a question of whether one day he would like to manage the club? He said that sometime in the future he would love to manage us and he has just been on his first coaching course. Your understanding of what 'throwing your hat into the ring' must differ greatly from mine if you consider the comments Louis gave as having done that.

For what it is worth Louis has never struck me as someone who would be interested in coaching or management so I am surprised by his comments. However unlikely many others it would seem, I am happy to admit that I have no clue as to whether Louis has what it takes to be a successful manager. Of course I would be against Louis being given the job in the same way Tinnion was and I would actually like to think we have learnt our lesson and won't make the same mistake again. However why anyone feels qualified to make negative (or positive for that matter) comments about the prospect of Carey ever becoming City manager however far into the future in beyond me.

Although it would seem that should Louis attain all the coaching qualifications that are required and he goes away and is a successful manager elsewhere, he still won't be fit for the City hot seat as during his playing career he grew a stupid moustache.

Finally, I wasn't even aware there was a ring open for Louis to throw his hat into?

In what world can you seriously say 'Carey has put his hat in the ring'?!

He got asked a question of whether one day he would like to manage the club? He said that sometime in the future he would love to manage us and he has just been on his first coaching course. Your understanding of what 'throwing your hat into the ring' must differ greatly from mine if you consider the comments Louis gave as having done that.

For what it is worth Louis has never struck me as someone who would be interested in coaching or management so I am surprised by his comments. However unlikely many others it would seem, I am happy to admit that I have no clue as to whether Louis has what it takes to be a successful manager. Of course I would be against Louis being given the job in the same way Tinnion was and I would actually like to think we have learnt our lesson and won't make the same mistake again. However why anyone feels qualified to make negative (or positive for that matter) comments about the prospect of Carey ever becoming City manager however far into the future in beyond me.

Although it would seem that should Louis attain all the coaching qualifications that are required and he goes away and is a successful manager elsewhere, he still won't be fit for the City hot seat as during his playing career he grew a stupid moustache.

Finally, I wasn't even aware there was a ring open for Louis to throw his hat into?

So a player makes a comment in an interview and we are not allowed to comment on it positively or negatively?, even though it is a road that is all too familiar to BCFC and it's calamitous outcomes and here's me thinking this was a forum where all things BCFC can be discussed.

Hat in the ring, head above the pulpit, perhaps I should have prefaced the comment with "in the future" and I apologise unreservedly for that, my point was really to gain credibility as a coach don't make the mistake of others, move away and do it, that is my opinion.

So a player makes a comment in an interview and we are not allowed to comment on it positively or negatively?, even though it is a road that is all too familiar to BCFC and it's calamitous outcomes and here's me thinking this was a forum where all things BCFC can be discussed.

Hat in the ring, head above the pulpit, perhaps I should have prefaced the comment with "in the future" and I apologise unreservedly for that, my point was really to gain credibility as a coach don't make the mistake of others, move away and do it, that is my opinion.

Comments such as 'I love Louis, I hope he becomes our manager one day' or 'Not that Carey w*****, I hate him. He better not ever be our manager' is about as an informed 'opinion' as anyone can give surely? I just don't see how anybody could possibly have a view they are confident in on Louis Carey managing us at some stage in the future when all he has done is take one coaching course in Scotland which I highly suspect they weren't present at.

As for having to go elsewhere to gain experience or City copying what they did when employing Tinnion, I agree completely. As I said, I would hope we have actually learnt from our mistakes.

Comments such as 'I love Louis, I hope he becomes our manager one day' or 'Not that Carey w*****, I hate him. He better not ever be our manager' is about as an informed 'opinion' as anyone can give surely? I just don't see how anybody could possibly have a view they are confident in on Louis Carey managing us at some stage in the future when all he has done is take one coaching course in Scotland which I highly suspect they weren't present at.

As for having to go elsewhere to gain experience or City copying what they did when employing Tinnion, I agree completely. As I said, I would hope we have actually learnt from our mistakes.

As the person you are having a go at, I never said anything like what is in your first sentence, I made what you agree is a reasonable point about moving away to learn his trade and gain credibility, I have no opinion as whether he will or will not make a decent manager, but to say that people shouldn't discuss it is silly, yesterday there was a thread claiming that on paper we should get promoted, I found it a strange comment given the amount of new players in our squad but it was discussed and why not.

As the person you are having a go at, I never said anything like what is in your first sentence, I made what you agree is a reasonable point about moving away to learn his trade and gain credibility, I have no opinion as whether he will or will not make a decent manager, but to say that people shouldn't discuss it is silly, yesterday there was a thread claiming that on paper we should get promoted, I found it a strange comment given the amount of new players in our squad but it was discussed and why not.

Whether we will be promoted or not (personally I would suggest not) is something that I would say it is easy for everyone to have an opinion on. They know who our manager is, they have seen the vast majority of our players play and they are able to judge the quality of the other twenty three teams in our division.

I find it slightly more difficult to understand how anyone can really have a strong opinion either way on whether someone should ever manage us in the future when they are still a player and have only been on one coaching course.

Astounded yet again by some of the comments posted on this thread, how many people actually bothered to listen to what he had to say ? i thought it was an excellent interview !

as far as " carey wants top job " who can blame him for wanting to eventually by manager of this club, the guy has been solid for us most of his career, aside a little blip, if he can make the grade, get his badges, start as probs an assistant at another club to learn the ropes, then steadily up the ante, who knows, he might just turn out a good un, like he said in the interview

" i would love to be manager of this football club " " but i am nowhere near that stage " " learn my trade at this club or elsewhere "

Really dont know what all the fuss is about, just a pro wanting to progress to the next level........Kin glad Moyes didnt have this interview when he was here...talk about egg on faces :P

Whether we will be promoted or not (personally I would suggest not) is something that I would say it is easy for everyone to have an opinion on. They know who our manager is, they have seen the vast majority of our players play and they are able to judge the quality of the other twenty three teams in our division.

I find it slightly more difficult to understand how anyone can really have a strong opinion either way on whether someone should ever manage us in the future when they are still a player and have only been on one coaching course.

and I was merely pointing out what I believe to be the best possible way of knowing that answer, because we already know the answer when you don't. it's a discussion, it's BCFC, it's open to debate and why not, but I will make a rash prediction here, he will become some form of coach at BCFC and probably next season, there i've said it.

and I was merely pointing out what I believe to be the best possible way of knowing that answer, because we already know the answer when you don't. it's a discussion, it's BCFC, it's open to debate and why not, but I will make a rash prediction here, he will become some form of coach at BCFC and probably next season, there i've said it.

I would suggest that Louis will had to have attained his UEFA A licence before O'Driscoll looks to add him to his coaching set up. If and when Louis achieves the necessary badges I would have absolutely no problem with the manager offering him a role of coach should the position be available.

As I stated before though, I agree with you entirely in that I would want him to have gone and succeeded elsewhere before we ever offered him the manager's job.

What nonsense, Carey has put his hat in the ring and you want us to blow smoke up his arse? and for the record Tinnion or Millen were thrust into absolutely nothing, they wanted the job end of and with that sort of negative experience Carey IMO needs to get right away from AG learn his trade and prove himself at another club, build up a reputation and come back with a proven track record, although I suspect this being BCFC the next time a managerial wheel falls off, the same mistake of "I know let's give the job to a legend with absolutely no experience, that'll go do well with the fans", "yeah, third time lucky perhaps"?.

I think we're actually arguing more or less the same point, though I may have put it badly. Carey would have to be proven as an excellent manager elsewhere before he should be considered. I'm not suggesting he should be manager now, or ever unless he does well elsewhere. And I know Tins and Millen weren't pushed into the job, they both wanted it. What I meant was they could both have become good bosses if they didn't come in at the level that they did, but worked there way up. My main point is that Carey could be (however unlikely) the next big British manager, but people already writing him off. That winds me up

In summary then, no favours because he is Louis, needs to have previous managerial experience at similar or higher level with some success. That means he would join a list of about 400 applicants, the usual sort of number, probably get short listed to the top 50 and then get bumped for a far far better candidate and we are talking 10 years, at least, down the tracks so he gets that pre-requisite experience.

Unfortunately for Louis the club have tried the guinea pig experiment twice in recent times and unless we are run by some headless chicken 10 years from now who has a memory going back a few minutes we will not try this route again in our lifetime. Louis should manage a conference south club once he gets his badges and gradually build his reputation from there; he may have little choice but it is far the best route for him.

Archived