IGNORED

Coventry Away At Northampton

i hate you butler

Sharing with the rugby not an option? Few thousand smaller but in Coventry at least.

The Rugby Ground is 1,000 capacity too small for a member club. I wonder why they haven't thought about a temorary terrace, is Yoevil's temporary? It must meet the Sports Ground Act as it's used for Rugby.

I pass it on the way into work every day now and the thought always crosses my mind. As a temoprary measure, it would be cheaper surely; cutting down the expense of travelling to a home game every other week for players/staff. But they would loose 5,000 of their support from last season if they could only scrape the minimum.

I can only assume it is because they cant erect another (2nd) stand at the rugby ground

Is this the first time we have been back since the infamous headbutting incident?

It's also the first time since the infamouse £2million for Dave Cotterill incident following an TV showing... Can we keep Albert for long enough?

Moved into the Ricoh the season after they were relegated from the Premier League, then got relegated again. Only ever filled it once for a cup tie with Chelsea.

And Take That! ... apparently

Moved into the Ricoh the season after they were relegated from the Premier League, then got relegated again. Only ever filled it once for a cup tie with Chelsea.

Falling attendances, less income, high rental on the stadium, stupid owners, stupid council, etc etc. Seems that anything that could go wrong for the club, did go wrong.

Relegated from the PL in 2001......Ricoh opened in 2005 & Cov began the 2005-6 season there. They played in the second tier for 11 seasons before they were relegated again to L1.

Originally Coventry were going to finance the stadium and own it but the relegation and financial problems meant that a company ACL was set up (ACL = Coventry council + the Higgs charity) to finance and own the ground with Cov paying rent.

The problem was the rent of £1.2M pa was too high for what became a second tier club and further the deal meant that ACL received all the catering, car park, concerts events, etc revenue on top.

It was never sustainable at that rent & that has effectively killed the club.

Most of their fans now want the Football league to block the move to Northampton and refuse to transfer the golden share to Otium (the new owners) as they are a company set up by SISU (former owners) with the same directors.

Fans want nothing to do with them and would rather start again in the non league with a fan ownership club.

Just listened to Richard Keys discussing the situation on Talksport.

The whole situation does sound shambolic, as he explained that Coventry and Northampton have home games scheduled for the same day on loads of occasions through the season, so the football league are going to have to rejig the fixture lists to accommodate this arrangement.

:city:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2355211/Coventry-City-agree-groundshare-Northampton-Town-34-miles-away.html

Looks like our first away game will have to change date,Friday or Sunday maybe but first away midweek isn't good !

blokes in work have a mini bus booked for that....f...ing shite oh well back to the drawing board mk dons?

Looks like our game will be rescheduled then - Northampton are also due to play at home on the same day and they will have preference!

tthey said their clashing games will be played on a sunday I think, if it goes ahead

Relegated from the PL in 2001......Ricoh opened in 2005 & Cov began the 2005-6 season there. They played in the second tier for 11 seasons before they were relegated again to L1.

Originally Coventry were going to finance the stadium and own it but the relegation and financial problems meant that a company ACL was set up (ACL = Coventry council + the Higgs charity) to finance and own the ground with Cov paying rent.

The problem was the rent of £1.2M pa was too high for what became a second tier club and further the deal meant that ACL received all the catering, car park, concerts events, etc revenue on top.

It was never sustainable at that rent & that has effectively killed the club.

Most of their fans now want the Football league to block the move to Northampton and refuse to transfer the golden share to Otium (the new owners) as they are a company set up by SISU (former owners) with the same directors.

Fans want nothing to do with them and would rather start again in the non league with a fan ownership club.

sounds like they were banking on a return to the prem to pay for it,

A gamble that failed sadly

Looks like our game will be rescheduled then - Northampton are also due to play at home on the same day and they will have preference!

i thought Leaguw rules stated if 2 clubs shared a ground, the team in the higher division had preference re clashing fixture dates ....i can see Northants fans loving that !

What will the allocation been at Northampton? Any rough ideas? One of few grounds at my young age I have not been to.

'Away fans are located in the attractively named 'Paul Cox Panel & Paint South Stand' at one end of the pitch, where 800 supporters can be accommodated. If demand requires it, then an additional 300 seats can also be made available in the Alwyn Hargrave Stand.'

In all honesty though, we will probably be able to take as many as we like as there won't be any 'home' fans there!

Is this the first time we have been back since the infamous headbutting incident?

I think that's right. While we had some good results at the Ricoh, that match at Northampton earned us three points, kick started our (promotion) season after a dodgy start, persuaded Wigan to pay silly money for Cotterill, and provided famous moments of slapstick (unfortunately at the other end from us).

"You have to feel for the Cov fans. Imagine City playing their home games at Exeter?!! Wouldn't even want to have that thought in my head."

Exeter is close on 80 miles from Bristol - Northampton close on 30 miles from Coventry. Geography young man.

It's more like us playing in Swindon or Cheltenham.

I'm glad we're going there first. It will be strange to them and not really home advantage at all. Plus imagine going there in February when the pitch has had 60 games played on it!

Fair play to them, the Ricoh was killing them. Moving there was the biggest mistake ever. Too many seats, No atmosphere, in the middle of no where and gained no money from it at all. Makes perfect business sense to move away for a few years and build a new purpose built stadium 100% owned by the football club. Similar to what Rotherham have done. Had they stayed at the Ricoh then they would always be wasting money on rent plus losing money from the lack of match day income plus non match day income so future success would always be limited. It could have got to the extreme that it sent them out of business eventually. No way could a professional football club survive on just gate receipts (which were ever decreasing) Good move for them I say.

Fair play to them, the Ricoh was killing them. Moving there was the biggest mistake ever. Too many seats, No atmosphere, in the middle of no where and gained no money from it at all. Makes perfect business sense to move away for a few years and build a new purpose built stadium 100% owned by the football club. Similar to what Rotherham have done. Had they stayed at the Ricoh then they would always be wasting money on rent plus losing money from the lack of match day income plus non match day income so future success would always be limited. It could have got to the extreme that it sent them out of business eventually. No way could a professional football club survive on just gate receipts (which were ever decreasing) Good move for them I say.

Not really, as the vast majority of their fans will not make the move with them. Too far and totally unnecessary

My Coventry supporting mate is distraught. He says the club is dead to him now and will be until SISU have no part in the running of the club.

Wimbledon mk 2, this is the beginning of the end for coventry, but it was their own making the should of never got the council to fund the ground and should of never signed up to the rant agreement gambling on a return to the prem,

Makes you thankful we have lansdown as an owner and not some hedgefund or chicken farmer

Archived