IGNORED

Are Yeovil...?

James

No - we are a bigger club, bigger stadium, bigger potential, Bristol is a better place to live than Yeovil and I'd bet we pay much higher wages.

Hmmm you don't actually have to live in Yeovil to play for the club and the area has many attractive (and VFM) places to buy a house.

Other than that, I agree.

Yeovile have been very successful at what they do and also have an unusual advantage similar in many ways to Cheltenham who are not known as big payers ad therefore have an advantage in that agents/players know that they are not going to be able to pay a fortune and therefore are more likely to accept less.Unlike both yourselves or us who over the past few seasons at our respective level have a reputation of being big payers at our level. Not sure how that lies now as not sure what sort of wages you are offering your new signings but would be VERY surprised if you are not still in the top 5 payers in League 1. I think it depends on the type of players you sign as to whether they woud sign for you as a league 1 club or Yeovile as a Championship club. Their crowds alone make them unable to compete with either of our clubs (particularly yourselves) but the same could have been said in the past about Wigan.

Lets be honest I don't think ANY of the players you have signed so far would have signed for Yeovil!

Who will get the best value- yourselves or Yeovil well that is more difficult to judge. I am not so sure that SOD is as good a Manager as Gary Johnson - certainly in my eyes has no or very litte motivational skills about him. On paper I would say that your team is superior to Yeovil but will they get more points than you managed last season? I have the feeling the answer to that will be Yes but much will depend on how they start off which could also be true about both our teams.

It will be very interesting to see how GJ will do. I personally think he is a good Manager with very little money to spend but not so good if given good money to spend.

Think the difference between Yeovil and Wigan is that Wigan have been very well backed by Dave Whelan, investing in a new stadium (in conjunction with the RL team) and new facilities, just basically improving the club 10 fold while Yeovil haven't...

I agree about Johnson, very shrewd with no money.. completely careless with money as demonstrated at City.

Thought he was dodgy first half a dozen or so games but over the top for me to say he was crap thinking about it.just a bit of a rebuff to that glover blokes post.

Caulker was a 17 year old who had an entire season in league football, who within 3/4 years was playing international football, I doubt that would have happened if he was still playing youth football for spurs. At no point did I imply we made them better, I said we gave them a chance to play competitive football, and this HAS benefitted all the names given......

We are a tiny club, we are smaller than both you and the other team in Bristol, so we do whatever we can to get a team on the pitch, without risking leaving our little town without a football club, if that makes us a joke to other teams that is fine......

Caulker was a 17 year old who had an entire season in league football, who within 3/4 years was playing international football, I doubt that would have happened if he was still playing youth football for spurs. At no point did I imply we made them better, I said we gave them a chance to play competitive football, and this HAS benefitted all the names given......

We are a tiny club, we are smaller than both you and the other team in Bristol, so we do whatever we can to get a team on the pitch, without risking leaving our little town without a football club, if that makes us a joke to other teams that is fine......

No complaints from me Neil. I applaud how your club has been run on its meagre resources, as I know that hasn't always been the case. You are what you are - a small town club with a limited fan base. I doubt you'll ever grow to have crowds of 10 thousand plus, but if GJ keeps you in the Champ for a few years hopefully you can boost your fan base and make the club stronger in the long term. I think everyone would prefer the people of Yeovil and its surrounding area to support you rather than Man Utd or Chelsea.

• Admin

He scored four in 15 for Hearts, so is that the 'fantastic nack of scoring goals' you speak of, Tans, or are you referring to his Liverpool Res career?

Maybe he hit the woodwork a lot, I've heard that's viewed as the same thing in Liverpool?

Maybe Prem clubs like sending their young players there as its far away from many distractions. They can just play football and the fans treat them well as they don't expect too much from them.

I like Yeovil, good luck to them and I'm glad Gary went back to them, as SoD would say, it's the right fit.

No I didn't.

He was having a dig,but he could have had a bigger one!

twas a dig, but a friendly one ;)

fwiw I think SOD is putting a good squad together and probably saving a lot of wages in the process. Getting out of L1 however will be more difficult than last season. Wolves will be strong as will Brentford, Peterborough and Preston. Sheff U and Franchise can't keep underachieving, Bradford & Rotherham will go for it. Still be surprised if you didn't finish top 6.

Archived