IGNORED

England 2-3 Spain - Euro 2013 - Post Match Thread

Ian M

• Admin

So, Hope Powell said before this match that her women could "absolutely" beat the men's team and are technically equal.

Then this happened in the last minute of injury time.....

I'd have been disappointed by our country's last gasp defeat if I hadn't been laughing so much at the way our keeper scores with her face!

So, Hope Powell said before this match that her women could "absolutely" beat the men's team and are technically equal.

Then this happened in the last minute of injury time.....

I'd have been disappointed by our country's last gasp defeat if I hadn't been laughing so much at the way our keeper scores with her face!

David James in disguise? :laughcont:

Hope Powell hasn't done herself any favours saying that. Made herself and her team look silly. I agree with the above, women keepers are very poor, and although our mens team are having a bad spell (playing pretty crap), the mens side is much better than the womens.

Couldn't agree more.

They are absolutely embarrassing and sum up women's football to be honest. Utterly pathetic.

Embarrassing to whom? Pathetic to whom?

The sport?

Misogyny at it's most putrid.

Embarrassing to whom? Pathetic to whom?

The sport?

Misogyny at it's most putrid.

Misogyny? I doubt that fella. I used to work with many women footballers, of which I am still good friends with now.

Pathetic in comparison to the men's game, pathetic standard and pathetic when someone like Hope Powell comes out and claims the women could beat the men.

In comparison to almost all other sports that women play, it is embarrassing.

• Admin

Some horrendous football, all the goals came from blunders. My favourite was when our keeper let the ball bounce over her head, the Spanish bint still missed the open goal.

I'm defo watching more of this competition, it's hilarious!

In the interest of evening things up, there was one quality move I saw late in the second half when an England midfielder played our right winger in behind the Spanish defence down the flank and she went on the put a great cross in which almost resulted in a decent goal.

Some horrendous football, all the goals came from blunders. My favourite was when our keeper let the ball bounce over her head, the Spanish bint still missed the open goal.

I'm defo watching more of this competition, it's hilarious!

That was brilliant. Like I said a complete joke

In the interest of evening things up, there was one quality move I saw late in the second half when an England midfielder played our right winger in behind the Spanish defence down the flank and she went on the put a great cross in which almost resulted in a decent goal.

Ok, but how much space do they get, it's like watching Fontaine & Nyatanga defend, can't close down, no spacial awareness.

Can't wait for tomorrow's games, it's hilarious.

• Admin

Did Hope Powell really say that?

If they did actually play the men would win by at least 30 or 40 goals.

She was asked the question by a journalist if the women could beat the England men's team and she replied "Absolutely, why not?" she then qualified that view by stating (and I'm paraphrasing here having only heard it once) "Obviously then men have a physical advantage but technically the women are right up there with the men".

Women's football has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Technically there's some good players but the pace is extremely slow... The German women's team are quite good, but I'm pretty sure some of them aren't women...

Misogyny? I doubt that fella. I used to work with many women footballers, of which I am still good friends with now.

Pathetic in comparison to the men's game, pathetic standard and pathetic when someone like Hope Powell comes out and claims the women could beat the men.

In comparison to almost all other sports that women play, it is embarrassing.

Also known as the Ron Atkinson defence.

It won't get better with people like you doing them down at every turn.

I take it you have have never made a sexist comment? Perish the thought

I may have growing up when I didn't know any better. But now it's different. If we don't call people out on things, when will it ever change?

God knows why I'm saying this on a football forum, might as well cut my losses.

I don't think it's misogynistic to say that the standard of women's football is pretty poor for which it is. I do wonder though, if they had the money for training that the mens' team get, would the standard improve that much?

Ha, in any case these girls are far better at football than I could ever be!

Hopefully Karen Bardsley will be dropped after that performance & replaced with Bristol's Siobhan Chamberlain, who is a good keeper.

Played a good game against Arsenal in the cup , best performance from a women keeper I've seen.

That video shows that the England Women's team have the same skills as the average 11 year old boy. Technically they're light years away from the men. You can't compare the two in all honesty, and Hope Powell's ludicrous comment must just have been a poor attempt at psychology.

Archived