IGNORED

Spike Aka Rod Stewart? Sky Advert (Merged)

ispep2012

Was walking out of the ground last season with my son and and we were talking and he mentiond pilots for some reason, to which Spike turned around and said "Pirates, Pirates, who said Pirates? We don't have any Pirates around here young man!"

The look on my 7 year old's face was priceless!

Not spoke to him much but seems like a good guy, he walked in to the Dolman late once and a side of the atyeo rose as one to chant "one rod stewart" and he did a little dance and acknowledged the chant, top bloke

Was funny the first time he got the Rod stewart comments but after that didn't interest me but fair play to the guy to getting onto sky.

If we can make some more banter from this though at match games all the better, really hope the atmosphere can get better this year.

Surely should be easy enough to make a chant about that rhymes with Jet?

It does amaze me how some (seemingly) alcoholic bloke who bears a vague passing resemblance to a washed up rock star is viewed as a legend, pretty much because he's a (seemingly) alcoholic bloke who bears a vague passing resemblance to a washed up rock star, but we can have pages and pages disputing the same title for someone like Tinman...

'Tis a strange world we occupy at times....!

It does amaze me how some (seemingly) alcoholic bloke who bears a vague passing resemblance to a washed up rock star is viewed as a legend, pretty much because he's a (seemingly) alcoholic bloke who bears a vague passing resemblance to a washed up rock star, but we can have pages and pages disputing the same title for someone like Tinman...

The alcoholic bit is (seemingly) a slur and (seemingly) not really called for. I'm not an alcoholic but do get plastered at football from time to time.

As for legend, character is probably a more apt term

'Legend' is wholly objective and a personal view. As you quite rightly point out, there are one or two city 'legends' who most certainly aren't in my view.

The alcoholic bit is (seemingly) a slur and (seemingly) not really called for. I'm not an alcoholic but do get plastered at football from time to time.

As for legend, character is probably a more apt term

'Legend' is wholly objective and a personal view. As you quite rightly point out, there are one or two city 'legends' who most certainly aren't in my view.

Maybe a little speculative on my part, but it wasn't said without grounding. So far i don't think anyone on here seems to have ever seen the bloke sober, whether it be at a game, out in Blackpool. He was falling over tables the only time i've ever seen him away from the Gate. For a guy of his age to get as plastered as he does as frequently as he does, and alone, as no one ever appears to sees him with someone else, does suggest a problem to be fair. Worse gets thrown at people with no reasoning behind it on here.

He's harmless enough though I guess, so it's up to Spike how he lives his life, but I just don't get the adulation he's afforded is all.

• Admin

Is more than a bit OTT remark and surprsied that people have actually 'liked' the comment too!

I'm assuming that you must know this guy fairly well to make an accusation like you have, and assume it is based on more than just seeing him in a pub before a City game?

This guy is one of the 'characters' that following City home and away over the years people come to recognise.

Personally speaking never seen any malice from him and have only seen people laugh and smile with him - doesn't seem that bad too me!

Archived