IGNORED

Last Nights Performance....

spudski

... was one of the best 'Footballing' performance I've witnessed by BCFC in a long long time.

I was so pleased to see what SOD is trying to do at our Club... fantastic to see.

As Kilkenny said in his Interview... 'Pass and move... something that hasn't been in the culture of our club since he's been here'... how right is he in saying that.

It was a pleasure to watch a young hungry side playing as a team, confident on the ball, willing to work for one another and actually do the simple things well... pass and move.

A note about Kilkenny... he Lorded it last night... not because he has become a better player over night, but because he had options to pass to. Last year he got slated and imho wrongly. He was surrounded by players who never gave him an option and were tactically inept... this led to him passing sideways or backwards and pointing and shouting at his team mates to ******* move... he got absolutely beasted by our fans for this... imho...it wasn't his fault.

Ok...it was only a friendly... but as the game went on Reading became frequently more frustrated at our amount of possession ( something I would never thought of saying about our club from recent years )... they upped their tempo and started to throw a few challenges in... what was great to see was we held our own. We kept our shape, worked as one and looked like a balanced team, even when numerous Subs were used.

My only worries from last night was it's obvious we need another quality fast Striker. Baldock ran his socks off and made some smart moves... however without him we looked weaker up front. JET holds the ball well, is good with his feet and lays the ball off well to other players. For a big bloke he doesn't win much in the air, neither him or Haywood can seem to Jump. If we keep the ball on the ground then I think we'll do ok.

Great to see a solid back 4 and balanced midfield.

Would urge and doubters to get down the Gate this season and support what the Club are trying to achieve... it was a pleasure to watch... long may it continue.

I just hope our fans are patient if results don't come thick and fast.

... was one of the best 'Footballing' performance I've witnessed by BCFC in a long long time.

I was so pleased to see what SOD is trying to do at our Club... fantastic to see.

As Kilkenny said in his Interview... 'Pass and move... something that hasn't been in the culture of our club since he's been here'... how right is he in saying that.

It was a pleasure to watch a young hungry side playing as a team, confident on the ball, willing to work for one another and actually do the simple things well... pass and move.

A note about Kilkenny... he Lorded it last night... not because he has become a better player over night, but because he had options to pass to. Last year he got slated and imho wrongly. He was surrounded by players who never gave him an option and were tactically inept... this led to him passing sideways or backwards and pointing and shouting at his team mates to ******* move... he got absolutely beasted by our fans for this... imho...it wasn't his fault.

Ok...it was only a friendly... but as the game went on Reading became frequently more frustrated at our amount of possession ( something I would never thought of saying about our club from recent years )... they upped their tempo and started to throw a few challenges in... what was great to see was we held our own. We kept our shape, worked as one and looked like a balanced team, even when numerous Subs were used.

My only worries from last night was it's obvious we need another quality fast Striker. Baldock ran his socks off and made some smart moves... however without him we looked weaker up front. JET holds the ball well, is good with his feet and lays the ball off well to other players. For a big bloke he doesn't win much in the air, neither him or Haywood can seem to Jump. If we keep the ball on the ground then I think we'll do ok.

Would urge and doubters to get down the Gate this season and support what the Club are trying to achieve... it was a pleasure to watch... long may it continue.

Really good to hear. Looking forward to next week.

Didn't see the game last night but sounds promising.

You've been waiting a while for this kind of performance haven't you Spudski.

I've not been the biggest fan of Kilkenny tbh but i've always acknowledged that he is sometimes let down by those around him.

Its coming together nicely at the moment, without getting carried away.

"A note about Kilkenny... he Lorded it last night... not because he has become a better player over night, but because he had options to pass to. Last year he got slated and imho wrongly. He was surrounded by players who never gave him an option and were tactically inept... this led to him passing sideways or backwards and pointing and shouting at his team mates to ******* move... he got absolutely beasted by our fans for this... imho...it wasn't his fault."

Good God! I've been sayin' it. I've beeeeen sayin' it for ten daaamn years. Ain't I been sayin' it, Miguel? Yeah, I've been sayin' it.

Didn't see the game last night but sounds promising.

You've been waiting a while for this kind of performance haven't you Spudski.

I've not been the biggest fan of Kilkenny tbh but i've always acknowledged that he is sometimes let down by those around him.

Its coming together nicely at the moment, without getting carried away.

I sure have mate... not just the performance, but the whole maturity of the side and the ability to do the simple things well.

It was so pleasing to witness... they were actually playing 'Football'.

What was also pleasing to see, was that Albert ( if he stays ) it seems can play in this type of system. He actually looked like a 'Team' player last night.

The only conundrum that left me scratching my head was young Reid. He's obviously very talented, quick thinking and technically good... a real talent... but he lacked something that I just couldn't put my finger on... sure it will come though.

Wynter and Wagstaff went about their jobs suberbly... really excited about what I witnessed last night.

I was at the game last night and fully agree with Spudski's assessment. it was by no means the finished article but the difference from last season was astounding. Players looking comfortable on the ball, making runs, finding space, playing one touch triangles, keeping possession, and some searching long passes, (not long ball hit and hope). How we cope when we get bullied by some teams this season will be pivotal but I am looking forward to the season and seeing how SOD's style copes with league one. Any wavering fans should at least give it a go and see what these players can do. Just hope we can all get into the match before kickoff when the season starts. I did but many didn't last night.

I was at the game last night and fully agree with Spudski's assessment. it was by no means the finished article but the difference from last season was astounding. Players looking comfortable on the ball, making runs, finding space, playing one touch triangles, keeping possession, and some searching long passes, (not long ball hit and hope). How we cope when we get bullied by some teams this season will be pivotal but I am looking forward to the season and seeing how SOD's style copes with league one. Any wavering fans should at least give it a go and see what these players can do. Just hope we can all get into the match before kickoff when the season starts. I did but many didn't last night.

What a fiasco the ticketing was last night. Why did they have to take down your name and address for everyone?

Bloke behind me started complaining and got thrown out.

When asked why they couldn't just take a tenner on the gate...simples... they were told 'we don't have the staff who are capable of doing that'... Crazy situation. So many missed the first 20 mins last night and apparently a printer for tickets broke down.

Why do we need a ticket for a friendly... pay your money and sit where you want... apparently we live in a more cultured society...do we 'f.eck.

The sooner Football Clubs realise that most people live busy lives and can only make a decision to go an hour or so before a game the better.

What a fiasco the ticketing was last night. Why did they have to take down your name and address for everyone?

When asked why they couldn't just take a tenner on the gate...simples... they were told 'we don't have the staff who are capable of doing that'... Crazy situation. So many missed the first 20 mins last night and apparently a printer for tickets broke down.

Why do we need a ticket for a friendly... pay your money and sit where you want... apparently we live in a more cultured society...do we 'f.eck.

The sooner Football Clubs realise that most people live busy lives and can only make a decision to go an hour or so before a game the better.

Data fascism.

Pass and move...triangles...create space... can all be seen in our goal.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2013-07-24/adomah-hits-winner-as-city-beat-reading/

Jesus... I bet every poster on OTIB knows the pass, move and triangles way of playing football. It's incredibly simple stuff and you see the blokes in my local five a side league do it every week. So if our players are only just learning it under this new 'system', there's something very wrong.

Why on Earth do they need name and address to sell a ticket for a friendly game? Is it so they can send people cheap food vouchers or what?

Totally ridiculous, and even more ridiculous that there wasn't somebody in authority there to waive the requirement when the queues built up!

I'm beginning to become more confident about our on-field performance this coming season, but off-field it's the same old shambles :grr:

Totally agree with you Spudski. It was very pleasurable viewing last night.

The Kilkenny argument will always be there but I've always believed he 'could' flourish in the right system (as another poster alluded to, the Millwall game away 2 years ago proved exactly what he CAN be capable of - just can he do this consistently).

A friendly match will always be a little more stand-offish than an full blown competitive game, so the unknown at the moment is can Killa & Wynter dictate the tempo against more rough and tough opponents.

I'm convinced young Wynter can. I've been impressed with all of his showings so far. The quality to create time and space for yourself is something not many players have, but this kid has got it.

I've heard some comments on here that he's the new Marv!! Far from it folks - this boy is a cultured and silky ball player, as well as a battler. I have very high hopes for this one.

• Admin

Totally agree with you Spudski. It was very plecombinationble viewing last night.

The Kilkenny argument will always be there but I've always believed he 'could' flourish in the right system (as another poster alluded to, the Millwall game away 2 years ago proved exactly what he CAN be capable of - just can he do this consistently).

A friendly match will always be a little more stand-offish than an full blown competitive game, so the unknown at the moment is can Killa & Wynter dictate the tempo against more rough and tough opponents.

I'm convinced young Wynter can. I've been impressed with all of his showings so far. The quality to create time and space for yourself is something not many players have, but this kid has got it.

I've heard some comments on here that he's the new Marv!! Far from it folks - this boy is a cultured and silky ball player, as well as a battler. I have very high hopes for this one.

In Wynter and Kilkenny do we have a slightly classier pairing than the Elliot - Johnson combination that saw us reach the Championship play off final?

In Wynter and Kilkenny do we have a slightly classier pairing than the Elliot - Johnson combination that saw us reach the Championship play off final?

Indeed. And without wishing to open up old wounds I'd also say a much classier combo than the Elliot - Skuse partnership.

In the longer term, what does Reid need to add to his game to partner Wynter?

Tough question. I think another poster mentioned on another thread today that Reid looks to have all the pieces but something isn't quite there and you can't put your finger on it.

For me, I think it's the consistency of performance, and by that I mean the experience and know-how to pick the right options on a more regular basis. At the moment he still seems young, free and slightly unguided. For example, at one point last night he picked up a loose ball about 5 yards outside our box, took a touch, was closed down quickly and tried a little step over to beat the man but lost it and put us under unnecessary pressure.

A more mature choice of play there would have been either to lay the ball to his left back, clear it into the stands, clear it up front, or even turn back toward his own goal and shield the ball, and then await another option.

That's not a criticism of him, just an observation, and of course you do like to see players taking a risk, just not on the edge of their own box.

So I guess it's still that youthful exhuberance, and becoming more savvy in his all round game and decision making.

There's no doubt he's got talent though.

• Admin

So basically

Tough question. I think another poster mentioned on another thread today that Reid looks to have all the pieces but something isn't quite there and you can't put your finger on it.

For me, I think it's the consistency of performance, and by that I mean the experience and know-how to pick the right options on a more regular basis. At the moment he still seems young, free and slightly unguided. For example, at one point last night he picked up a loose ball about 5 yards outside our box, took a touch, was closed down quickly and tried a little step over to beat the man but lost it and put us under unnecessary pressure.

A more mature choice of play there would have been either to lay the ball to his left back, clear it into the stands, clear it up front, or even turn back toward his own goal and shield the ball, and then await another option.

That's not a criticism of him, just an observation, and of course you do like to see players taking a risk, just not on the edge of their own box.

So I guess it's still that youthful exhuberance, and becoming more savvy in his all round game and decision making.

So basically he just needs some appearances from the bench that he can hopefully learn from and get the experience to make better decisions....something SO'D will be impressing upon the lad. The boy clearly has vision and enough talent to bring his vision to life eg the pass in the build up to Albert's goal last night where he took 3 Reading players out of the game in an instant.

That's what SOD means when he says about choosing the right options on the ball. It will come in time.

That was me Harry...and I think you nailed it with that reply...the kid definitely has talent, no doubt.

As for Wynter being like Elliott... chalk and cheese in my book. Wynter is a 'footballer'. Unfortunately and some may disagree I just see Elliott as an Athlete who can hustle and break up play and can kick a ball... not a 'Footballer'.

That was me Harry...and I think you nailed it with that reply...the kid definitely has talent, no doubt.

As for Wynter being like Elliott... chalk and cheese in my book. Wynter is a 'footballer'. Unfortunately and some may disagree I just see Elliott as an Athlete who can hustle and break up play and can kick a ball... not a 'Footballer'.

Wynter is cultured elliot isn't,

We don't really know what wynter can do on a consistant basis and only seen glimpses of in in pre-season which frankly mean next to nothing,

We know what elliot can do whn fit which is tackle break up play and head the ball as well as getting you 5 - 8 goals a season from midfield (if he remains fit)

You lot really are clutching at straws if you rave so much about a performance against Reading side who were purely building up fitness. It was a friendly in exactly the same way as you losing to Clevedon was a friendly. Nobody puts in the tackles that are the key area of League 1 and 2 games. We saw that when we played Reading and Burnley a couple of years back and played Burnley off the park under Buckle and when the League season got under way it was back to reality.

On saying that I would say that you have a good squad for League 1 and could do really well particularly if there are no further departures. However a lot will depend on if any of the players you have retained from last season are more intent on leaving than staying.

We will soon find out as only 8 days away from the real action where the performances really will count and real football will be played.

You lot really are clutching at straws if you rave so much about a performance against Reading side who were purely building up fitness. It was a friendly in exactly the same way as you losing to Clevedon was a friendly. Nobody puts in the tackles that are the key area of League 1 and 2 games. We saw that when we played Reading and Burnley a couple of years back and played Burnley off the park under Buckle and when the League season got under way it was back to reality.

On saying that I would say that you have a good squad for League 1 and could do really well particularly if there are no further departures. However a lot will depend on if any of the players you have retained from last season are more intent on leaving than staying.

We will soon find out as only 8 days away from the real action where the performances really will count and real football will be played.

I think you'll find that not everyone is getting carried away. However, it was pleasant to see a thoroughly professional performance being put in against a quality opponent.

Your last point is totally spot on FG.

Archived