IGNORED

Last Nights Performance....

spudski

Wynter is cultured elliot isn't,

We don't really know what wynter can do on a consistant basis and only seen glimpses of in in pre-season which frankly mean next to nothing,

We know what elliot can do whn fit which is tackle break up play and head the ball as well as getting you 5 - 8 goals a season from midfield (if he remains fit)

With respect... Elliott as a 'Footballer' is everything I despise in English Football. Not his fault... but he is something English Coaches were looking for a while back, but times have moved on. It's all well being able to run your socks off 90 mins and break up play and be a physical presence, but that's not good enough anymore...even at League 1 level.

I can't remember the last time I saw Elliott win the ball and us keep possession...he's like a bull / falling octopus in a china shop, the ball often just bouncing off his legs. He can't pass and his first touch is non existent. Yet everyone loves him because he gives 100% effort. So could I... but it doesn't mean i'm good enough. Funnily enough... no other team seem interested in him either.

Personally, I really don't see how he will fit in with SOD's plans... it will be interesting to see.

Harsh assessment I know... probably a really nice lad... but I'd love to see him move on and money released for a defensive midfielder who can play 'football'.

You lot really are clutching at straws if you rave so much about a performance against Reading side who were purely building up fitness. It was a friendly in exactly the same way as you losing to Clevedon was a friendly. Nobody puts in the tackles that are the key area of League 1 and 2 games. We saw that when we played Reading and Burnley a couple of years back and played Burnley off the park under Buckle and when the League season got under way it was back to reality.

On saying that I would say that you have a good squad for League 1 and could do really well particularly if there are no further departures. However a lot will depend on if any of the players you have retained from last season are more intent on leaving than staying.

We will soon find out as only 8 days away from the real action where the performances really will count and real football will be played.

Decent post TBF, although I think you are reading a bit too much into some of the comments. I think most posters are just happy that we seem to be developing a decent style of play ( although your point about tackling is valid).

We've had no real style to our play over the last few years, some days we'd pass the ball well and others we'd be hoofing balls up to Baldock. SOD is attempting to give us a style of play and an identity and that's why people are happy with where we're going. I don't think many, except a few of the younger posters maybe, are predicting promotion or getting ahead of themselves.

Jesus... I bet every poster on OTIB knows the pass, move and triangles way of playing football. It's incredibly simple stuff and you see the blokes in my local five a side league do it every week. So if our players are only just learning it under this new 'system', there's something very wrong.

if you send the local lads out for a go with even league one professionals you will find them chasing shadows.

if you send the local lads out for a go with even league one professionals you will find them chasing shadows.

The fact that you have to explain that to one or two beggars belief. His local 5-a-side mates who play this very simple pass and move stuff would be chasing shadows if you sent them out for a go with the Weston Super Mare first team.

With respect... Elliott as a 'Footballer' is everything I despise in English Football. Not his fault... but he is something English Coaches were looking for a while back, but times have moved on. It's all well being able to run your socks off 90 mins and break up play and be a physical presence, but that's not good enough anymore...even at League 1 level.

I can't remember the last time I saw Elliott win the ball and us keep possession...he's like a bull / falling octopus in a china shop, the ball often just bouncing off his legs. He can't pass and his first touch is non existent. Yet everyone loves him because he gives 100% effort. So could I... but it doesn't mean i'm good enough. Funnily enough... no other team seem interested in him either.

Personally, I really don't see how he will fit in with SOD's plans... it will be interesting to see.

Harsh assessment I know... probably a really nice lad... but I'd love to see him move on and money released for a defensive midfielder who can play 'football'.

Would be intersting if he can be in the starting 11. He can score from his head and is strong. We will see only SOD knows.

The fact that you have to explain that to one or two beggars belief. His local 5-a-side mates who play this very simple pass and move stuff would be chasing shadows if you sent them out for a go with the Weston Super Mare first team.

...or even a go with Lebeq sunday fc...i wasnt starting at the lowest possible denominator.beggars belief i have to explain that to one or two..

Jesus... I bet every poster on OTIB knows the pass, move and triangles way of playing football. It's incredibly simple stuff and you see the blokes in my local five a side league do it every week. So if our players are only just learning it under this new 'system', there's something very wrong.

Archived