IGNORED

Everything Fontaine Related

Fuber

I think you are probably right there.

LF epitomises everything bad about modern professional players these days.

In his (small) mind he gets paid a lot of money for playing football.

Ergo - he believes is good at playing football.

I most organisation's we can all think of someone who is in reality at total f**kwitt, yet gets promoted and wins constant praise from management.

How?

By brown nosing and playing the part when the boss is around.

What I fail to understand is how LF get's away with it under SOD.

Maybe he is in possession of some sinister, compromising photo's or something.

It is the only rational explanation I can offer...

The difference at a football club is that the boss is always around for the 90 minutes that their performance matters. It doesn't matter how good anyone is in training, if they fail to produce the goods on the pitch there is nowhere to hide.

I can't see SOD being the type to continue to play someone who performs dreadfully just because he doesn't want to admit to making a selection error.

I agree that Fontaine was not the only defender to have a poor game today. As I mentioned in my other thread I thought today's game was deja vu of last seasons Burnley and Blackburn home games. Looking at the starting defensive line up for these games:

City 3-Blackburn 5: Heaton, Foster, Fontaine, Carey, Cunningham

City 3-Burnley 4: Heaton, M Wilson, Fontaine, Mcmanus, Foster

Coventry 5 - City 4: Fielding, Moloney, Fontaine, Flint, Cunningham

Now can anyone spot a common link in all these games? Hmm...

He was poor and the worst of a very bad bunch, but it really is embarrassing seeing/hearing certain comments either on here or at the ground about Fontaine. A personal highlight of mine 'Get out of the club Fontaine you useless c***' after Williams lost possession. Just beating the bloke who felt the need to shout '**** off Fontaine' after about 5 minutes of the game even though he had done excellently to win possession and set Baldock free the previous time he had got near the ball.

If you take the passion out of football there really isn't much left and I understand people who may have shouted at him after the fourth goal, but I really do despair when someone goes to the ground with the intention of abusing him (which you must to abuse him after 5 minutes of the game and before he had even done anything wrong) or to not even bother going to the game but sit at home on the internet writing the type of childish nonsense that others have on this thread about one of our own players (no matter how much you may wish he wasn't). I totally understand why people may have had a gut full of Fontaine, but I suggest some may need to purchase a dictionary and have a look at the definition under the word supporter.

As I said he was the worst of the bunch today, I would drop him next week and in partnership with Fielding he managed to gift away one of the worst goals you will ever see at professional level. I accept it is easier for some to lay the blame for todays defeat all at Fontaine's door, but Flint was also dreadful and the fullbacks were both uncharacteristically poor. And as for Fielding if it weren't for his bald head you would assume that we had Phillips or Gerken in goal. Decent shot stopper, but at best shaky coming off his line and at worst hopeless.

I think the mistake many posters are making is to think that this is some kind of reaction based on today's game. For many last season was too much and frankly having given him a chance this season and seen the same ineptitude it's little wonder that fans are getting pissed right off with his presence at our club.

It's all opinions, but I really think there is more to it than a lack of form. It's been close enough 18 months of consistent shite, perhaps a lot of the posts (mine included) have been less than eloquent, but my god is it hard to remain level headed when you see a player who week in week out costs the team points.

I think the mistake many posters are making is to think that this is some kind of reaction based on today's game. For many last season was too much and frankly having given him a chance this season and seen the same ineptitude it's little wonder that fans are getting pissed right off with his presence at our club.

It's all opinions, but I really think there is more to it than a lack of form. It's been close enough 18 months of consistent shite, perhaps a lot of the posts (mine included) have been less than eloquent, but my god is it hard to remain level headed when you see a player who week in week out costs the team points.

Exactly... which is why he must be dropped for a LONG stint out of the 1st team squad

Have done a further analysis of the other games last season where we conceded 3 or more goals:

Conceded 3 against Leeds - Fontaine played

Conceded 3 against Bolton - Fontaine played

Conceded 4 against Wolves - Fontaine played

Conceded 4 against Leicester - Fontaine played

Conceded 3 against Barnsley - Fontaine played (actually won that game)

Conceded 3 against Derby - Fontaine played

Conceded 3 against Burnley (A) -Fontaine played

Conceded 3 against Huddersfield - Fontaine was on the bench!

Conceded 4 against Charlton - Fontaine played

If you read SODs comments re the fourth he corectly states how "we" switched off at the restart and missed the runner onto a simple diagonal ball....so you could look at it that Fonts was the only one who reacted and got back there .... but that does not takeaway from his poor form.

Personaly I hope the old adage "form is temporary" plays out and he gets back to the player he was under GJ but tbh that has to happen quick as I dont think we can afford to wait if we want to maintain this forward moving feeling within the club but for sure slagging him off and making statements like "want him out of the club" will not make that happen...

Win as a team, lose as a team, is a valuable ethic ... Today the "WE" defended very poorly thats every player not just Fonts...

Hopefuly an early kick up the backside for anyone who thinks L1 is bit of fun....... especially the team.....could be a blessing in the long run..

I'm sick of the sight of him. When I hear him on the team sheet it makes me shudder, I can't wait until the day comes when he's out of this club. He's an absolute clown, sorry but enough is enough!

Oh and really hope he reads this thread and site...

Hopefuly an early kick up the backside for anyone who thinks L1 is bit of fun....... especially the team.....could be a blessing in the long run..

Agree with this, reading some of the predictions on here and twitter was a tad embarrassing. Back down to earth with a bang for some especially considering the next few fixtures.

It's making me feel sick. It didn't take too long for fans to get on the backs of managers, when do shouts of "Fontaine out" start ringing from the stands?

Don't worry Jordan, they started today, a few boos after the 4th goal when the ball next arrived near him, gradually increasing to derogatory shouts, and then pretty much a crescendo after the final whistle.

I've arrived home a while ago after making the journey and I wasn't going to post here tonight as I am so angry. But I've calmed down a little now.

The 5 of us in my car pretty much discussed Liam Faultaine the whole way home, with all of us agreeing that he should be removed from the team "with immediate effect".

Although the whole back 5 were poor today, I would be amazed if anyone who was at the game today can come on here and attempt to defend the bloke any longer. I was willing to give him a clean slate this season and judge him not on his previous 18 months but on his performances this season. And I'm sorry that it's only taken 2 league games, but I can't, in my mind, give the lad any more slack. He's simply got to be dropped.

Ok, so we all know that the 4th goal was absolutely shocking (granted Fielding should have reacted quicker and came out, but how can he legislate for a 6 foot 2 inch centre back with nearly 300 appearances, not dealing with a 70 yard up and under and missing a simple header?)

Also granted that Flint was very poor today too, and Moloney was also incredibly poor. But for those who weren't there, please don't just assume that Fonts messed up for the 4th as well as getting outjumped by a non aerial threatening young striker for the 3rd. Believe me, the other 95 mins and 30 seconds were also awful.

He dillied, dallied and dooshed the ball when he had it. He hesitated, misjudged and reacted slowly to everything when without the ball. He carries no confidence, no presence and quite frankly no ability as a footballer at the moment. The Covhampton strikers had an absolute field day today. They just took one look in his eyes (and also probably at his distressingly skinny ankles and weak body language) and thought "We can get at this weakling today". And they did.

Flint was at fault for the penalty. Flint was also exposed for the 2nd goal. Moloney should have done a better job at stopping the cross for the 3rd. Fielding should have done better with the 4th. Moloney should have done a better job at stopping the cross for the 5th (as well as Williams getting caught out and Cunningham not continuing his tracking run on the eventual scorer). Baldock should have put the game out of sight in the first half.

So there's plenty of other blame to share around but for the overall performance and the calamitous attempt at defending for that 4th goal, Faultaine stands head and shoulders above the others as the weakest player on the pitch today.

Poor old JET. Single-handedly brought us back into the game and he's got to sit in the dressing room afterwards and look at this weakling. I note JET has apologised to the fans on twitter tonight - you shouldn't have to apologise young Jay, you were the star of the show. The back 5 should all be apologising and Faultaine should be approaching his Manager in training tomorrow and sacrifice his place in the team - "Sorry boss, my confidence is shot, my form is awful and I feel I'm letting my team-mates down. Please can you give me some time off to get my head straight and see how the team can perform without my inspirational performances. I'm very sorry boss, but for the good of the team I think you need to drop me for a spell".

Take responsibility man. Own up. You know you're out of touch. Stand down. Hopefully that decision though will be out of his hands and SOD will make that call himself. If he doesn't, and he persists with the selection of this liability, then I fear for his job! I'm confident though that he's a smart enough man not to let that happen.

Or - can someone who knows Liam, please invite him to a wedding next Saturday afternoon or something? "Sorry boss, I'm not available this week, got a wedding to go to."

Don't worry Jordan, they started today, a few boos after the 4th goal when the ball next arrived near him, gradually increasing to derogatory shouts, and then pretty much a crescendo after the final whistle.

I've arrived home a while ago after making the journey and I wasn't going to post here tonight as I am so angry. But I've calmed down a little now.

The 5 of us in my car pretty much discussed Liam Faultaine the whole way home, with all of us agreeing that he should be removed from the team "with immediate effect".

Although the whole back 5 were poor today, I would be amazed if anyone who was at the game today can come on here and attempt to defend the bloke any longer. I was willing to give him a clean slate this season and judge him not on his previous 18 months but on his performances this season. And I'm sorry that it's only taken 2 league games, but I can't, in my mind, give the lad any more slack. He's simply got to be dropped.

Ok, so we all know that the 4th goal was absolutely shocking (granted Fielding should have reacted quicker and came out, but how can he legislate for a 6 foot 2 inch centre back with nearly 300 appearances, not dealing with a 70 yard up and under and missing a simple header?)

Also granted that Flint was very poor today too, and Moloney was also incredibly poor. But for those who weren't there, please don't just assume that Fonts messed up for the 4th as well as getting outjumped by a non aerial threatening young striker for the 3rd. Believe me, the other 95 mins and 30 seconds were also awful.

He dillied, dallied and dooshed the ball when he had it. He hesitated, misjudged and reacted slowly to everything when without the ball. He carries no confidence, no presence and quite frankly no ability as a footballer at the moment. The Covhampton strikers had an absolute field day today. They just took one look in his eyes (and also probably at his distressingly skinny ankles and weak body language) and thought "We can get at this weakling today". And they did.

Flint was at fault for the penalty. Flint was also exposed for the 2nd goal. Moloney should have done a better job at stopping the cross for the 3rd. Fielding should have done better with the 4th. Moloney should have done a better job at stopping the cross for the 5th (as well as Williams getting caught out and Cunningham not continuing his tracking run on the eventual scorer). Baldock should have put the game out of sight in the first half.

So there's plenty of other blame to share around but for the overall performance and the calamitous attempt at defending for that 4th goal, Faultaine stands head and shoulders above the others as the weakest player on the pitch today.

Poor old JET. Single-handedly brought us back into the game and he's got to sit in the dressing room afterwards and look at this weakling. I note JET has apologised to the fans on twitter tonight - you shouldn't have to apologise young Jay, you were the star of the show. The back 5 should all be apologising and Faultaine should be approaching his Manager in training tomorrow and sacrifice his place in the team - "Sorry boss, my confidence is shot, my form is awful and I feel I'm letting my team-mates down. Please can you give me some time off to get my head straight and see how the team can perform without my inspirational performances. I'm very sorry boss, but for the good of the team I think you need to drop me for a spell".

Take responsibility man. Own up. You know you're out of touch. Stand down. Hopefully that decision though will be out of his hands and SOD will make that call himself. If he doesn't, and he persists with the selection of this liability, then I fear for his job! I'm confident though that he's a smart enough man not to let that happen.

Or - can someone who knows Liam, please invite him to a wedding next Saturday afternoon or something? "Sorry boss, I'm not available this week, got a wedding to go to."

What's more worrying is that any of the past managers didn't see that. I hope SOD doesn't make the same mistake and keep playing him, otherwise he won't be here by the end of the season

The whole back four were below par today.

Both full backs hardly put a tackle in especially Maloney, Fielding's distribution is terrible and always seems to shank his kicks, Flint looked exposed at times and Fonts is so low on confidence I can't understand why the manager picks him.

When Williams came on he had the belief in his own ability to attack that first ball, be tight to his opponent, try to break up play

Sadly Fonts is the opposite of all that.

Where are the people now that said because we are in a lower league Fontaine will come good?! Absolute rubbish.

I'll hold my hands up in relation to Fontaine. I thought he would come good this year, but, I was wrong, he is looking very much the same players that played last season. I thought a break and a pre-season would have done him some good. Again, I was wrong.

He should have been sacked for gross incompetence before the end of last season not starting this.

If he stays in our first team, we are #####. Too much of a week link, too much of a liability.

I'd ##### Killkenny out off it, too.

I'm off too bed.

Nice Summary!

However it should not have to be written. My grandma is better than Fontaine and she died in 1992 bless her!

Cant he help Scott with the kit or help with the HT tea or something/anything!!

Fontaine needs to be dropped. The criticism is completely fair but some of the personal abuse is too far. Judge him on his football (which has been shite for 2 years) only.

People keep referring to personal abuse but I haven't seen any.

I think the lad just needs to learn how to play football.

Club should've shown some bottle and paid Fontaine up in the summer. To turn to a bloke bought in as potential as the answer to our defensive prayers is heaping a lot of pressure on Williams' shoulders and given his inexperience he will make mistakes too. I was in the camp of giving Fontaine another chance and thought League One might help him. The 4th goal yesterday changed my mind for good.

Fielding is getting a lot of the blame for the 4th, he may have done better but from the highlights his face said it all when that ball bounced up to him "What the f### are you doing here!?" Fontaine has to get anything on that - Fielding could possibly have come after the first bounce and ok fair play fontaine was actually back there, which is more than can be said for the others at the back, but seriously, anywhere will do in that position that bounce must have come as such a surprise to Fielding.

Fielding has his faults, he isn't blameless by any stretch but he does seem to have something about him - unfortunately I feel that Fontaine has reached his peak and is on his way down.

Unbelievable how much confidence has been drained from since he failed a medical with Southampton.. Was a really good defender till that point and slowly he declined into whatever he is now.

Surely has to be dropped for the good of the team, Flint seems to be doing the job of 2 CBs now.

That is the sad reality of it. Fontaine was an excellent defender for us for a number of years (although that has of course been forgotten now) but something has changed. Last season he was of course awful and I hoped that maybe, just maybe, in a new team alongside a ball-winning CB he could perhaps regain the confidence and form that made him a good Championship defender. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way back now. He was truly awful today and his mistake for the fourth goal is just criminal. I doubt he'll ever recover at this football club and it would be best for all parties if he could move on if it was at all possible.

The personal abuse this man is receiving is nothing short of disgraceful though. The classic bollocks about him not caring is based on nothing and I'd imagine a player who has been here for 7 years now probably does care. Add to that the fact he will be only too aware of the huge drop in quality in his performances, and he has stated this in interviews, and I find it hard to believe he doesn't care.

Just seen the goals from yesterday, goal 4 and 5 Fontaine looked lost! The guy is a massive weakness and right now I'd be happier with a youth player in there, at least a youth player would be concentrating on the game.

Any good manager in this league will be looking at Fontaine as a weak link and putting their best players in a position to pressure him and he will crumple.

The personal abuse this man is receiving is nothing short of disgraceful though. The classic bollocks about him not caring is based on nothing and I'd imagine a player who has been here for 7 years now probably does care. Add to that the fact he will be only too aware of the huge drop in quality in his performances, and he has stated this in interviews, and I find it hard to believe he doesn't care.

Whilst I agree some blame lies with SOD too, I mean he should have known from last season that the fans wanted Fontaine gone and putting him in is just putting him in the firing line. SOD should take Fontaine out, simple as.

Archived