IGNORED

Everything Fontaine Related

Fuber

Just seen the goals, oh my the 4th and 5th are just terrible!

First, it's a penalty and finished well, second is a great finish, third very dubious defending but the fourth - Fontaine and Fielding looked like they'd never seen a football before and the fifth fielding should've potentially claimed the ball and the defence should've stopped the cross as he didn't!!

Whilst I agree some blame lies with SOD too, I mean he should have known from last season that the fans wanted Fontaine gone and putting him in is just putting him in the firing line. SOD should take Fontaine out, simple as.

That blame lies with the club as much anyone. If anything the Board will know even more than SOD how strongly the fans felt about Fontaine and could have made the call to pay him up and move on. They didn't which means we were left with Fontaine and the inexperienced Williams signed as potential as our left sided centre half options. Fontaine was ok in pre-season so could see why he started the season over Williams but god knows what happens now.

The big concern for me is why virtually everyone on here thinks Fonts is just not good enough by a mile, yet four managers at this club have constantly picked him over a number of years. That is most worrying. Granted that under GJ he was a passable defender (not rated by me even then, but many people thought he was ok), but then he declined and ended up really poor under Millen and Mcinnes, and now SOD. Can they all be wrong? Or does it go deeper than this - could there be someone in this club at a senior level who is "supporting / protecting" Fontaine for some strange or baffling reason.

I just can't help thinking that maybe this is the case, preposterous as it is because I cannot think of any other logical reason! But I also feel that SOD would not allow that to happen - he is too proud.

So who do we currently have who could play in his place if Fontaine is dropped?

Fontaine will be a major contributor to this wage bill we're trying to balance, which is why we can't just keep adding players to the squad and we've had to sign young, inexperienced players as cover options. Removing Fontaine altogether and paying him up in the summer would have solved a big problem IMHO but here we are 3 games in having the same debates we've had a million times in the last 2 years.

If Fontaine not Nyatanga was out of contract at the end of last year would SOD have offered him a new one? Not a cat in hell's chance. But he was stuck with him so what does he do? Work with him and hope he can get his head right knowing what a decent player he has been in the past or bomb him out altogether, on big wages, and go with the inexperienced option? He's clearly gone for option 1. You can't just shift players if no-one wants them or you aren't willing to pay them up.

That is the sad reality of it. Fontaine was an excellent defender for us for a number of years (although that has of course been forgotten now) but something has changed. Last season he was of course awful and I hoped that maybe, just maybe, in a new team alongside a ball-winning CB he could perhaps regain the confidence and form that made him a good Championship defender. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way back now. He was truly awful today and his mistake for the fourth goal is just criminal. I doubt he'll ever recover at this football club and it would be best for all parties if he could move on if it was at all possible.

The personal abuse this man is receiving is nothing short of disgraceful though. The classic bollocks about him not caring is based on nothing and I'd imagine a player who has been here for 7 years now probably does care. Add to that the fact he will be only too aware of the huge drop in quality in his performances, and he has stated this in interviews, and I find it hard to believe he doesn't care.

i'm sorry I blame the previous 2 managers and SOD, who have for whatever reasons left Fontaine in the firing line, I keep hearing they are professionals with coaching qualifications or they see him on the training ground, they all needed in the case of 2 of them and need in the case of SOD to open their eyes on match days, odd mistakes are one thing but the Fontaine situation has been allowed to fester into a septic open wound over a period close to 2 years, it beggars belief.

Edit:- of course I have to accept all along that perhaps Millen, DMC and SOD are all correct and everybody else is wrong, after all what do we know?.

i'm sorry I blame the previous 2 managers and SOD, who have for whatever reasons left Fontaine in the firing line, I keep hearing they are professionals with coaching qualifications or they see him on the training ground, they all needed in the case of 2 of them and need in the case of SOD to open their eyes on match days, odd mistakes are one thing but the Fontaine situation has been allowed to fester into a septic open wound over a period close to 2 years, it beggars belief.

Edit:- of course I have to accept all along that perhaps Millen, DMC and SOD are all correct and everybody else is wrong, after all what do we know?.

EMB read my point directly above yours about as think it's relevant to what you've said here.

First goal I don't think should of been a pen, but couldn't really see. Flint at fault possible due to lack of pace, but not alot he can do about that

Second goal from a sloppy ball losing possession, then flint not getting tight, but no support from the midfield.

3rd fonts didn't get off his feet. Pretty poor.

4th fonts missed the header, then didnt deal with it. Fielding didnt help, but he shouldn't of had to.

5th goal Williams turned his back.

Overall - shit at the back, but fonts probably the biggest culprit.

Guessing you were there, just watched the highlights and pretty much agree.

1st - Flint got wrong sided by pace, then a silly tackle that was always going to be a pen. Stand his ground and the striker probably wasnt going anywhere...

2nd - Was a pretty good pass from their midfield, though the passer had too much time. Flint then stood off too much and allowed him inside

3rd - Exactly as said, Fonts didnt get anywhere near winning that header, completely grounded. You could possibly argue that he didnt get a call to say he had a man on, or thought he had a free header.

4th - Absolutely embarresing to watch. I cringe if I see that in my sunday team, let alone a professional at this level! A ridiculous panic long ball from the right back and fonts has completely missed the ball! Fielding should have done more, he was rooted to his line and didnt really do enough with the initial save.

5th - Wasnt sure who the left back was, hard to tell from the video, but again, shocking aerial presence - didnt really seem to know what to do just watched it float over him. Ball fell to an unmarked striker in the 6 yard box, not sure whose responsibililty it was to pick him up but one of the CBs has to take blame there.

All in all, if it was a one off you could use the excuse of a bad day at the office. POssibly excuse Flint for this reason, and he's held his hands up and admitted he had a bad game. Strikes me as the sort of character that will come back with a blinder next week (i hope). As for Fonts its happened far too often now. Terrible defending to miss a free header at that stage in a game from a nothing ball. I was one of those that said he cant turn to garbage over night and will come good at this level but it looks like i could be wrong. Not impressed with what I've seen so far but not really convinced we have a better option right now!

I'm with you on this totally.

A player can be awesome in training, showing experience, vocal, composed etc.

But... you really have to judge a player by their performance on match day when it counts.

No one want to knock a guy down... but this has now become comical.

Liams positioning of his body is his biggest problem. He often faces the wrong way... gets himself tangled and is not able to react quick enough because of it. He is so easily physically knocked off the ball as well.

Such a shame... but he in my eyes was responsible for 2 maybe 3 of yesterdays goals...and it is a regular occurrence.

Unfortunately it seems his poor performances are making Flint and Fielding hesitant too...

Having just watched the goals and it does seem that Mr F was involved pretty heavily with every goal that we conceeded. Also Fielding seems very low on confidence at the moment.

Goal 1 and 2 nothing to do with Fontaine both Flint's fault, stupid challenge for the first and absolutely nowhere near the player for number 2 the player had far too much space. Pathetic jump by Fontaine for number 3, should never have allowed a hopeful punt to bounce for number 4 and Fielding never exactly covered himself in glory and firstly Cunningham and Fontaine at fault for number 5 pathetic attempts by both.

So you're telling me Fontaine was dreadful under Millen in the season when we finished 14th? Fonts was fine then and no one had a problem with him then. Last season he was shit and it was last season that people began to want him dropped etc. Rightly so, as he was poor. But to try and claim he was bad before that is ludicrous, he played a huge part in our first two seasons in the Championship when we were very, very tight at the back.

Goal 1 and 2 nothing to do with Fontaine both Flint's fault, stupid challenge for the first and absolutely nowhere near the player for number 2 the player had far too much space. Pathetic jump by Fontaine for number 3, should never have allowed a hopeful punt to bounce for number 4 and Fielding never exactly covered himself in glory and firstly Cunningham and Fontaine at fault for number 5 pathetic attempts by both.

Not sure how it was cunninghams fault for the 5th, other than maybe not tracking his runner who scored? The cross wasnt dealt with by Williams and then the ball dropped in the 6 yard box which should be either the CBs or GK

So you're telling me Fontaine was dreadful under Millen in the season when we finished 14th? Fonts was fine then and no one had a problem with him then. Last season he was shit and it was last season that people began to want him dropped etc. Rightly so, as he was poor. But to try and claim he was bad before that is ludicrous, he played a huge part in our first two seasons in the Championship when we were very, very tight at the back.

A good point. Only 5 clubs conceded less than we did in 07/08 and if we had drawn 0-0 with Ipswich instead of shipping 6, only one team would have let in less goals than we did.

All the big man had to do was usher the striker to the byline, but regretably in the space of a couple of weeks, in the presence of Fontaine, Flint has gone from a competent commanding centre half to one who has become very indecisive and who's confidence is now shot to pieces.

Not sure how it was cunninghams fault for the 5th, other than maybe not tracking his runner who scored? The cross wasnt dealt with by Williams and then the ball dropped in the 6 yard box which should be either the CBs or GK

Well whoever it was at the far post who made a pathetic attempt to defend the cross before it went through Fontaine.

OK so not quite 2 years but the warning signs were there after the mysterious failed transfer to Southampton, he has never been the same player since for whatever reason and all 3 mentioned managers kept him in the firing line.

Does it matter? He was garbage last season and has started this season the same. I couldn't care less what he did 3 years ago

I've watched the highlights on slow mo, it's abysmal defending but the 4th is beyond belief, there's no explanation for it.

It's the 3rd one that gets me though. In all fairness Fontaine's taken up a great position, he's got his man in sight and goal side ready to attack the ball, however he decides not to jump, he's lost concentration and it seems like he's completely forgot what he's doing and where he is.

By the way, great finish from Elliot, and Baldock I thought was strong to hold off his man and finish well, then there was JET, is it me or does the bloke look like he really cares, being the main man suits him, you can see he thrives on it.

I've watched the highlights on slow mo, it's abysmal defending but the 4th is beyond belief, there's no explanation for it.

It's the 3rd one that gets me though. In all fairness Fontaine's taken up a great position, he's got his man in sight and goal side ready to attack the ball, however he decides not to jump, he's lost concentration and it seems like he's completely forgot what he's doing and where he is.

By the way, great finish from Elliot, and Baldock I thought was strong to hold off his man and finish well, then there was JET, is it me or does the bloke look like he really cares, being the main man suits him, you can see he thrives on it.

He's not willing to take a hit for the team, it was the same all game yesterday and that's why those of us that were there are rightly p1ssed off with his abject performance.

Yes Flint also had a mare yesterday but at least he looked like he cared and was willing to put in a challenge and get a broken nose if needs be for the team.

Pack as well put in a fantastic aerial challenge in the box in the second half yesterday and got clattered to the ground in the process. Fontaine is simply not willing to do that anymore, for whatever reason.

Fontaine needs to be taken away from the first team for the good of the club.

As I said before the season started, Liam Fontaine is extremely mentally weak and will NEVER recover from last seasons atrocious, diabolical, passionless, clueless, gutless, embarrassing 'form'.

The sooner he moves on, the better our defence will become.

Who or where has that been said?

Here's a few:

With Fontaine on the team, Bayern & Barca would leak goals for fun, even Adams, Bould, Keown, Dixon & Winterburn would struggle to keep a clean sheet with that useless article in the side.

4 managers have been fired due to defensive ****ups of which he has been one of the prime causes...SOD wants to be carefull he aint nr 5.....

Is that true?!

The blokes never been good enough, he unbalanced the side going in to the play off final in 2008, i think people forget just HOW GOOD carey orr and mccombe were for those 3 seasons carrying this flimsy idiot mincing about poking his left big toe into challenges when he fancys it, get him out of this club NEVER BEEEN good enough!!!!! might be able to justify his defending style if he could play abit but he has about as much technical ability and coordination as a brick wall

He was always a composed CB that looked good on the ball was he not? The opposite of the constant hoofs we saw against Bradford.

That's the thing, I've never thought of him as being excellent, personally I've never really rated him, that's just my opinion though.

Your not on your own there. Ive never rated him either. Bambi on ice

See Esmond, there have been a few, on the various other threads as well. My point is simply that because a player is bad now (and I completely agree that he has been atrocious for a while now) it doesn't suddenly mean they were terrible all along. That just isn't the case with Liam Fontaine and that is one of the most frustrating things about this whole saga, as some on here seem to have noticed at least.

Here's a few:

Is that true?!

He was always a composed CB that looked good on the ball was he not? The opposite of the constant hoofs we saw against Bradford.

See Esmond, there have been a few, on the various other threads as well. My point is simply that because a player is bad now (and I completely agree that he has been atrocious for a while now) it doesn't suddenly mean they were terrible all along. That just isn't the case with Liam Fontaine and that is one of the most frustrating things about this whole saga, as some on here seem to have noticed at least.

Ive never rated Faultaine, even before last season. Ive always thought him to be soft

That is the sad reality of it. Fontaine was an excellent defender for us for a number of years (although that has of course been forgotten now) but something has changed. Last season he was of course awful and I hoped that maybe, just maybe, in a new team alongside a ball-winning CB he could perhaps regain the confidence and form that made him a good Championship defender. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way back now. He was truly awful today and his mistake for the fourth goal is just criminal. I doubt he'll ever recover at this football club and it would be best for all parties if he could move on if it was at all possible.

The personal abuse this man is receiving is nothing short of disgraceful though. The classic bollocks about him not caring is based on nothing and I'd imagine a player who has been here for 7 years now probably does care. Add to that the fact he will be only too aware of the huge drop in quality in his performances, and he has stated this in interviews, and I find it hard to believe he doesn't care.

If he had any moral code he would asked to be dropped .But not Liam happy to let his team mates down week in week out and take his pay.Shameful.What an example.The bigger concern if that is possible is if SOD keeps him in the team

Archived