IGNORED

English Patriotism.

BUTOR

1. Possibly B) but I'm quite happy with both.

2. B) but not for any reason around colonialism or the idea there's something wrong with being patriotic. It's just a combination of governments of the last twenty years' desire to judge all public services purely on how much money they bring in and the level of vitriol shown by the government and papers to people suffering from poverty or disability or in need of support in recent years makes me embarrassed at the callousness of this country.

3) 7 - Despite its flaws, I generally believe Britain's done some amazing things around promoting democracy, tolerance and respect for differences and often done those things before other nations so I think there's a lot of to admire about the country.

Why would people rather be English than another nationality? Why is English better than, say, German, Dutch, Kiwi, Canadian.....?

Genuine question. Would love to know people's thoughts.

How can you comment on being another nationality? I was born in England (Bristol) so that is all I know. I'm sure it's lovely to be German or Swedish too

its an interesting discussion. We do love a moan, I hate people having to be up at the crack of dawn, go to work in rush hour, consume their hours doing that, then come home in the rush hour, pay through the nosr for everything ~ no pay rise in 3 years despite inflation etc etc ec ******* cetra

But life is a gift that you can make of what you want, a laugh doesn't cost nothong neither does a helping hand to someone when they need it. The people are the constant, not the westher, and bell and broady done us proud..as did the lions.. going to bed, too pissed sorry redeye love you all xx

Ah the cricket, how could i forget, nothing like smashing the Aussies after so many years of pain, as i've got older i have come to love test cricket more & more (that's probably due to growing up listening to the wonderful Richie Benaut) whereas i am becoming so disillusioned with football.

1. Wouldn't say I was proud of them, I just am both of them. For me, being proud is something you achieve. I didn't achieve my nationality, I was born in to it. When I fill out a job application form though or any type of form I put British.

2. Is there an inbetween? I don't hate the country, it has it's issues but then most countries do. There's a lot I would change but again, I wouldn't argue with someone that England was better than any other European country in a similar economic situation.

3. One.

If you want straight unflexible multiple-choice answers though then: 1. C; 2. B; 3. One.

Interesting. I'm not going to answer the OP's questions, as I'm not sure, but the recent hardening (oo-err) of attitudes north of the border has made me feel more pro-English, and less-"British", as this includes Scotland, who can frankly **** off right now, and make sure you shut the door on the way out.

But I have both Irish and Welsh blood in substantial amounts, so really I'm British, although a hugely proud Bristolian.

As for issues about all the other stuff mentioned here, immigration and that, well we've had positive and negative immigrants since forever, from the Vikings and Romans via the Normans to the French emigres around the time of the revolution. You think it's bad here? Try certain regions of France, where there are so many Brits that they put up English signs in the supermarkets - imagine that happening here? Or try say Qatar, where I've worked at only 15% of the population is indigenous and most people speak a language that is not the native tongue - English, in this case.

Frankly, I don't give a toss where people are from, provided they come here to work honestly, pay taxes and behave responsibly, whilst enriching our nation. I take is as a matter of pride that our country - for all its issues - is attractive enough that people still want to come here.

Archived