IGNORED

Cardiff

Betty Swallocks

When he said 'businesses need to evolve' that summed up what a tool he is. Cardiff City were a proud football club, the centre of the lives of hundreds of thousands of South Wales supporters over decades. Now the badge is gone, the kit is gone, the nickname is going and then the name is going. So very, very sad, let them have their matches against Arsenal and Man Utd, I want my Bristol City, wearing red, nickname the Robins without a dragon, lizard or whatever on the badge.

Since there is such a high level of interest, here are a few other recent developments at Dinas Caerdydd.

An expansion of the stadium to 33,000 in the first phase and eventually 38,000. Plans now submitted.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-city-submits-plans-expand-5738949

How's your new stadium going? ;)

Also, Vincent Tan has announced he will be donating £1m a year to local charities. He appears to already have made a start as we had a message posted on our forum from a Swansea fan whose community group had just been awarded £25k.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-owner-vincent-tan-5679540

Meanwhile, Steve Lansdown has moved out of GB to avoid paying tax... :yes:

does VT pay tax? or does he live elsewhere?

The stupidest thing about all this is that it's all done in the name of building up a fan base in Malaysia and China, but having visited that part of the world they don't give a flying **** about colours or names. As with 'glory supporters' over here, the main thing they care about is success. Regardless of name or shirt colour, if Cardiff struggle- as they inevitably will this season- they won't 'crack' the Asian Market. FFS, two of the most successful English teams of all time play in red and will continue to play in red. And if the colour of the shirt is so important, why did I see so many Man Citeh, Chelsea and Spurs shirts last time I was in Asia? I have no idea what his game is, but this goes beyond pandering to a superstitious bunch if Chinese potential fans.

As for the club itself, it's sad that their identity is being stripped away but I have no sympathy for the fans that have season tickets. They've made their choice (you could argue they had no choice) and they'll have to live with it. Bravo to those who've made a stand, but I get the impression that they are few in number and weak in conviction

However, those who think that us City fans would never allow something like this are mental; if we got promoted to the Prem but changed our shirt colour to blue and became known as Bristol Bluebirds or similar, Ashton Gate would still be sold out every week. I'm sure there are those who would make a moral stand but you'd be far outnumbered by those who'd take the dirty pay off of top division football

Tan needs to be picked up on his statement on the ssn page;

When Hull's owner released his statement which Tan 'quotes' there was no mention of Cardiff, he's managed to twist this debarcle so that he's jumped on his own golden go-cart of a bandwagon.

Also "Who doesn't know Hull is a City?" I don't want to insult anyone but, had their football club not been called Hull City F.C. - I would never have known Hull is a city. How many people know Brighton & Hove is a City?

It's the Americanisation of Football. It's only a matter of time before more teams become franchises and get moved around and rebranded ala MK Dons.

No it's not. Its the globalization of football, which is a completely different thing. It is not the US that is driving these changes, it is the middle and far east, but TV is to blame.

This is all almost inevitable. It has already happened in Cricket and in Rugby League, and it was bound to happen in football eventually. We live in a global economy now, and if clubs are to aspire to become a recognized brand globally, they are bound to be thinking along these lines. Only the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, who are already established as global brands, are safe. It sucks, but the trouble is that fans have bought into football as it now is - not that they had much choice - and have to live with it. I've always thought, as I get older, that lower league, or even non-league, football was likely to become increasingly appealing.

I wouldn't take the p*ss out of Cardiff too much. We could be in the same place in a few years' time.

Tan needs to be picked up on his statement on the ssn page;

When Hull's owner released his statement which Tan 'quotes' there was no mention of Cardiff, he's managed to twist this debarcle so that he's jumped on his own golden go-cart of a bandwagon.

Also "Who doesn't know Hull is a City?" I don't want to insult anyone but, had their football club not been called Hull City F.C. - I would never have known Hull is a city. How many people know Brighton & Hove is a City?

…and they are an Albion!

However, those who think that us City fans would never allow something like this are mental; if we got promoted to the Prem but changed our shirt colour to blue and became known as Bristol Bluebirds or similar, Ashton Gate would still be sold out every week. I'm sure there are those who would make a moral stand but you'd be far outnumbered by those who'd take the dirty pay off of top division football

Dead right its mainly local born West Country people who follow BCFC and what with the last few seasons mess up's its down to a hard core hoping for better times,if Johnny-Foreigner bought the club promised millions ,spent millions it would be the same plastic flag-waving no passion people coming to see your typical top 4 clubs and if Bristol Robins lose it doesn't matter as long as Rooney,Bale or who ever is the latest top name plays.

The old core fan would walk away making a moral stand or just finally losing interest in what was once a working class game.

Time, before its too late for the ministry of sport or whatever it is to step in with legislation to protect whats left of our footballing traditions.

World Cup Willie must be turning in his grave at whats happening to our World famous Nationall Game.

We need LAWS now to be introduced along the lines of Grade 2 Listing, English Heritage etc, top stop the rot that has alfeady begun... Buy an English Football Club and y.ou must abide by certain regulations & responsibilities protecting that clubs name, history & heritage - in the same way as a new owner/custonian of a listed building.

Some things have higher value than just business & money.

Might be as well since you have zero influence on what he does anyway. ;)

You couldn't even exert any influence over the local council over your abortive stadium plan, even though they, unlike VT, are answerable via the ballot box :facepalm:

:laugh:, I couldn't care what he does, you should and you could have an influence but your too busy oiling your backside up for another bumming from him.

You will be the red dragons and its when he says, we're just laughing like the rest of the 90 odd league clubs, you are a joke and long may it continue.

I hate the red shirts, and increasingly dislike our gormless fans that wear the red shit. Who the **** wants to look like Bristol CIty ;)

There is a fairly substantial pro-blue movement though. Will be interesting to see the game tomorrow-The away end should be blue. :)

This went up yesterday too, right by the ground.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=366666&start=0&rid=3049

I appreciate we are rivals, but I know some of you have shown support to Cardiff City fans over that, and that is really appreciated.

Good luck against Wolves tomorrow.

I hate the red shirts, and increasingly dislike our gormless fans that wear the red shit. Who the **** wants to look like Bristol CIty ;)

There is a fairly substantial pro-blue movement though. Will be interesting to see the game tomorrow-The away end should be blue. :)

I appreciate we are rivals, but I know some of you have shown support to Cardiff City fans over that, and that is really appreciated.

Will you protest some more once Tan has changed your name and moved games to South East Asia?

The horse has already bolted.

You had the chance a while back. Soon as the colours changed, that should of sent alarm bells ringing! But you never, you all sat there at took it like a good un'

I've lost respect for Cardiff City or whatever your called anymore...

Archived