IGNORED

Online Exclusive Interview With Sean O'Driscoll

The Exiled Robin

Some of you may have read this in the latest edition of The Bountyhunter fanzine, which was on sale at the Bradford match, but as they don't have an online presence I was lucky enough to be offered the chance to publish it via this medium. There's some typically fascinating responses from SOD in here, some you'll love, some you'll perhaps have alternative views on, but all equally measured and balanced, as ever.

There's also a question from Sean himself at the bottom, which he wants the fans to answer. So please feel free to comment on the blog itself or the comments section of this forum below and I'll collate all responses and get them back to the club - it's a good chance to tell the manager (and others) exactly what you'd like to be happening at your club.

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/online-exclusive-interview-with-sean.html

Thanks for reading!

Some of you may have read this in the latest edition of The Bountyhunter fanzine, which was on sale at the Bradford match, but as they don't have an online presence I was lucky enough to be offered the chance to publish it via this medium. There's some typically fascinating responses from SOD in here, some you'll love, some you'll perhaps have alternative views on, but all equally measured and balanced, as ever.

There's also a question from Sean himself at the bottom, which he wants the fans to answer. So please feel free to comment on the blog itself or the comments section of this forum below and I'll collate all responses and get them back to the club - it's a good chance to tell the manager (and others) exactly what you'd like to be happening at your club.

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/online-exclusive-interview-with-sean.html

Thanks for reading!

Great Interview and good questions. I enjoyed that.

It's great to see SoD is looking to build a side that is full of intelligent footballers, that understand his philosophy and that are capable of making the right decisions on the field without being told.

Interesting what he said of the best two wingers he had work for him. No mention of Albert... but when you read what he looks for in a player, it's no surprise.

It also makes sense why so managers rate Skuse. All have said he's an intelligent player who understands what to do.

It must be so frustrating to have players who are naturally talented but are as thick as mud and can't carry out instructions.

I hope and quietly believe that given time, S'OD has the intelligence, vision and determination to re-build this club from the ground up. As fans, we need to all buy into and support this vision and just possibly we could go some way along the route Swansea have taken.

Not saying we'll be as successful as them, but who knows and I'd love to see us give it a shot.

seeing a young team playing attractive football at times gives me hope. This season you can see glimpses of a good side, whats more they are trying to play attractive football. Just look at our starting team today (and this season) 8 new players, 1 player in last seasons youth team... we have played just 4 competitive matches and you know these guys are going to get better

Fielding

Flint

Williams

Wagstaff

Wynter

Pack

Jet

Kilkenny

Moloney

Cunningham

Baldock

Sub Bryan and Big H

I dunno whether my reply worked, but here it is anyway.

It's difficult to define successful. The way modern football is Bristol City will never challenge for domestic honours which might well be the most obvious.

In that sense the club has to become something the community and its supporters can buy into. Real supporter engagement on decisions such as kits, stadiums, etc.

On the playing side the Ashton Gate fans have only ever wanted one thing. Good, attacking football with flair and commitment in equal measure. After 5 seasons of seeing consistent mediocrity rewarded with new contracts its nice to see a new squad of young players. Some remain, arguably the worst culprits in that time too. But the process of reshaping a club is not an over night thing.

Success is relative. Always has been and always will be. Constant improvement on the field of play, good passing football and more wins than losses will be good enough for many. Off the field plenty of work to be done and that's been documented frequently to high ranking officials.

That was a good set of questions, and an even better set of answers.

I want to see young hungry intelligent players giving there all, having self belief and belief in their teammates*, working hard for each-other, always looking for that positive ball that gives us a better attacking advantage, or getting back to defend/win the ball when out of possession. (We need a team full of winners (mentality-wise - I don't expect us to win every game!) with a couple of leaders to guide them.)

*Case in point re this - baldock playing jet in v wolves, and jet then having the belief in himself to take it first time.

Cracking read....answer to sods question... to be a side which play good passing/possession based football with a lot of home grown players and not spending stupid amounts of money to try and get promoted.

Can't do better than that, 1996. That was how Alan Dicks built his team.

The interview is a brilliant read and I like the tribute to Thatcher's :)

If you enjoyed the interview - as lots of you seem to have - check out the new issue of The Bountyhunter when it goes on sale at Christmas.

There will be, among other things, more ex-player interviews of the same quality as the SoD interview (last season we did interviews with Jantzen Derrick and Johnny Watkins).

Thanks for the good vibes about the quality of the questions - if only the (local) press could think for themselves a bit!

If you enjoyed the interview - as lots of you seem to have - check out the new issue of The Bountyhunter when it goes on sale at Christmas.

There will be, among other things, more ex-player interviews of the same quality as the SoD interview (last season we did interviews with Jantzen Derrick and Johnny Watkins).

Thanks for the good vibes about the quality of the questions - if only the (local) press could think for themselves a bit!

Thanks to you guys for letting me publish - getting lots of good feedback across this, Facebook, Twitter and the blog. Great stuff indeed!

I dunno whether my reply worked, but here it is anyway.

It's difficult to define successful. The way modern football is Bristol City will never challenge for domestic honours which might well be the most obvious.

In that sense the club has to become something the community and its supporters can buy into. Real supporter engagement on decisions such as kits, stadiums, etc.

On the playing side the Ashton Gate fans have only ever wanted one thing. Good, attacking football with flair and commitment in equal measure. After 5 seasons of seeing consistent mediocrity rewarded with new contracts its nice to see a new squad of young players. Some remain, arguably the worst culprits in that time too. But the process of reshaping a club is not an over night thing.

Success is relative. Always has been and always will be. Constant improvement on the field of play, good passing football and more wins than losses will be good enough for many. Off the field plenty of work to be done and that's been documented frequently to high ranking officials.

Excellent post. You've got it pretty much spot on. I agree City fans aspire to watch regular good attacking football.

Flair, for me is a "nice to have".

Commitment isn't an aspiration or a "nice to have" but a must for me. I don't think any player goes out trying not to be committed but too often in recent years it has appeared that way.

It's probably as much about personnel and having "chips are down players" who'll not go missing when we're struggling (the assets Carey, Elliott and Harewood bring).

Second half against Wolves yesterday was a great example where players started closing down and hustling the opposition - this eventually led us back into the game... we'd won the "right" to play. If we keep winning/earning the right to play then confidence increases, we start to see the good football and then, maybe, the flair can follow!!!

So, for me, the starting point of success is 11 committed, brave players, players with character, willing to try things, willing to make a mistake and come back for more, willing and wanting to win the ball... every week. That will win us the right to play football and all the good things that follow.

In my 30 odd years watching City the two teams I consider most successful were those of Terry Cooper and Gary Johnson. Both had teams packed full of characters "winners". There have been more talented teams over the years, possibly including this one - if they show character and a real will to win then we'll be laughing all the way (to the play-offs... maybe!).

Thanks to you guys for letting me publish - getting lots of good feedback across this, Facebook, Twitter and the blog. Great stuff indeed!

Hi Exiled,

No problem. Nice to have a little bit of our stuff online somewhere, plus lots of good comments on here (good feedback last week on our piece The Yips about Fonts).

Online is something we are thinking about/looking into, but a) we're old school and like paper copies of things and b) we're very slow at making up our minds! Which is why there was 20 years between issues 8 and 9!

We don't personally do facecream or twister (sorry bookface or twitter) either, unfortunately, although we do have a few in our collective who keep us up-to-date on what the vibe is out on the street.

We sold out of this current issue but if you want to email us your address at the.boutnyhunter@hotmail.co.uk we can post you a future copy.

Keep up the good work,

You Reds!

This article really is a great read. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

To me SO'D's most important statement was "We’re in an industry completely governed by results but because you know that, you might as well do what you think are the right things to do because you’re probably going to lose your job one day anyway." because it proves that he's very much his own man and he'll carry on in that vein throughout his time here.

This week the Premiership circus has returned and Palace, Cardiff and Hull (all of which have had well reported financial problems in recent times) have got turned over without too much effort despite the latter two having spent a fortune on new players meanwhile, Southampton, who nearly folded a few years ago, fork out £15m for a striker. Whilst getting to the Prem must be the ultimate ambition of all of us because it will mean watching our team play against some of the very best in the world whilst earning shed loads of dosh - I admit, I'm not so bothered about getting there. It would be nice, I suppose but what I want to watch is an attractive team which has been developed not assembled and a club which has been built on solid foundations which will ensure that it will be here for my kids and their kids (and their kids) to enjoy. I want it to be a fixture in the top half of the Championship, flirt with promotion (maybe one day get there for a while just so we can fill our coffers with some serious wealth and give SL a break from having to dip his hand in his pocket) and occasionally reach the latter stages of the FA Cup. I've just realised that I've defined almost exactly what Alan Dicks achieved, although the wealth generated from promotion to the then Division One was nothing in comparison to Premiership earnings.

I want a club which has a manager who has been in charge for 10 years or more - who feels part of the fabric of the club, who understands what makes us BCFC supporters tick and who cares about it as much as I do. Anyone who has been at a club for so long must have been doing something right and been allowed to lay down and implement long term plans because that's what we need. I seriously hope that Sean is that man. He ticks all of the boxes for me (and he likes Thatcher's!). I want BCFC to be his last management role - the one from which he eventually retires.

An interesting read, if somewhat unusual questions. The result may very well be an 'imposter' but the Dolman will be bloody half empty if we don't beat someone soon. How about before the end of the cricket season? Is that too much to ask. I'll be happy to buy O'Driscoll his next half of Thatchers if he can engineer/ scab/ whatever a win before the nip of Autumn comes to my pile here in north east Somerset. And I'm not known for putting my hand in my pocket (speaking of which, well done all for getting over a £mill in and, so far, peanuts going out. Excellent. Wish they'd had ffp back in my day). Leave all the philosophy for now, Mr. O'D, and get your team to do the talking for you. Come back with all that silly waffle after four straight wins, or when we're tucked in just behind the top two. Or in the final of the JPT. Now there's a payday. All this wishful thinking about doing a 'Swansea,' right now we're doing a Swansea, only before they got their act together. We need some upward momentum. Thank you.

Great questions, great answers.I must admit I am a little disappointed that we did not get better results after that Gillingham result. With a cup win, away and a clean sheet, I went to sleep that night feeling positive about the next few games. Yes scored 5 but let in 7 and no points.

But every time I read one of S O D interviews, he feels me with belief. None of this taylor made answers that 90% of managers give out. He explains why, what the further holds, and it comes across as an honest response, in a language that stimulates. I guess I enjoy it more as I am an athletics coach, and I can see things as a coach. We are very lucky to have Sean as our manager. I just hope those 3 points start arriving before the S O D out voices get raised.

Great Read!

This bloke is the smartest and most articulate manager we have had since AD.

Everything people have said on here for years about youth and our inability to bring it into the first team is finally being dealt with.

Regardless of the fact we have 1 point from 9 we are playing very well in sections AND we have TWO strikers already on 3 goals....

The future is bright if the supporters can stay behind the manager and the board, regardless of how results pan out in the short-term!!

I am now a convert!!

COYR

Great Read!

This bloke is the smartest and most articulate manager we have had since AD.

Everything people have said on here for years about youth and our inability to bring it into the first team is finally being dealt with.

Regardless of the fact we have 1 point from 9 we are playing very well in sections AND we have TWO strikers already on 3 goals....

The future is bright if the supporters can stay behind the manager and the board, regardless of how results pan out in the short-term!!

I am now a convert!!

COYR

Spotted, pig flying over the Gate. We're giving kids a chance, blooding young, hungry but some really inexperienced players, playing well in spells, scoring goals, without quite being able to get a result over the line yet, but already some people on here are changing their tune about what they want. Baffles me.

An interesting read, if somewhat unusual questions. The result may very well be an 'imposter' but the Dolman will be bloody half empty if we don't beat someone soon. How about before the end of the cricket season? Is that too much to ask. I'll be happy to buy O'Driscoll his next half of Thatchers if he can engineer/ scab/ whatever a win before the nip of Autumn comes to my pile here in north east Somerset. And I'm not known for putting my hand in my pocket (speaking of which, well done all for getting over a £mill in and, so far, peanuts going out. Excellent. Wish they'd had ffp back in my day). Leave all the philosophy for now, Mr. O'D, and get your team to do the talking for you. Come back with all that silly waffle after four straight wins, or when we're tucked in just behind the top two. Or in the final of the JPT. Now there's a payday. All this wishful thinking about doing a 'Swansea,' right now we're doing a Swansea, only before they got their act together. We need some upward momentum. Thank you.

My friend, that was a work of genius!

So you believe 600k + is peanuts?

Great read,for me i want to see what is happening..a team that at times had nobody older than 24 in at times on Saturday trying to play football with bite and passion and skill like in the second half,just think its crucial that us fans give SOD the time to find the right balance and he will suceed

(11) (Sorry Sean, we can’t count!) What do you like doing to switch off from the day job?

I’ve discovered Thatcher’s Gold since I’ve been here - always believe in your soul!
​Got to be a song referring to Sean's new interest surely.....

My friend, that was a work of genius!

AshtonGreat. You're too kind. And too switched on (you could see my tongue just ever so slightly in my cheek). Really, I'm very much in favour of O'D, but a league win would be nice.

Perhaps these fanzine fellows should leave him be, rather than asking him fancy questions.

Look forward to him speaking from a position of strength (when we're flying) some day.

Archived