IGNORED

Nicky Shorey

Evander SnowyField

We haven't got any competition for places, Cunningham, Maloney and Flint know they're going to play every week. That's not healthy and what if they get injured? Just because we might get a left back in doesn't mean Cunningham's off, we need a squad and players pushing each other! Can't imagine Shorey would want huge wages like Harewood because he's a free agent and there are loads of players without clubs now who will want to get themselves sorted.

Would be an odd signing considering SOD has come out and explained how we are struggling to get players due to finances etc.

Don't think he has? Have heard him say we're not going to spank loads of money on wasters like we have in the past but don't think he's said we're struggling to get players due to finances just that we've got to be more sensible about finances?

Frankly, this would have been a great signing in the Championship, let alone league one (and yes, I'm taking his age into account).

He's literally been there and done it, and just because we have Cunningham doesn't mean he can't have competition; perhaps the addition of Shorey would both force him to up his game and help him improve.

If this fits our wage structure and improves the squad for the long season ahead (something I personally think it would undoubtedly do) then I think this is a wise move.

If Cunningham could be leaving or this is just for competition, his experience if he does play could help Bryan, experience at the back could be vital in enabling to play academy products to their full potential.

Why are so many conclusions being leapt to that Cunningham's off? We need a squad of players not only one in every position!

Don't expect either Cunningham or Shorey would be happy as 'back-up' in league 1 which naturally raises questions re Cunninghams future. Unless, as others have mentioned, SOD would look to play GC or NS in a more attacking role.

Someone would have to pay him the money he's on now because he signed a four-year contract with us and he'll probably be on decent wages even by Championship standards. If he ain't happy it's up to him to prove he's worthy of the shirt and not run off to his agent trying to get a move.

Competition for places is healthy, we haven't got that at the moment. Sometimes players need a kick up the arse to get out of their comfort zones and knowing you're playing every week, however crap your form might be, is a dangerous comfort zone.

I am hoping this is a potential signing as competition for Cunningham. Shorey has vast experience and would be a very useful addition but I would be very surprised if he comes in and operates as a left sided centre half. I think if anything Cunningham is more likely to fill that role than Shorey.

Does seem a little odd though as with Cunningham, Bryan, King and Williams we have a lot of cover in this area. Maybe SOD isn't happy with Cunningham's form?

Does seem a little odd though as with Cunningham, Bryan, King and Williams we have a lot of cover in this area. Maybe SOD isn't happy with Cunningham's form?

We saw Bryan's value giving us balance on left on Saturday, chuck him at left back if Cunningham gets injured then who plays on left in midfield? If Williams goes left back Fontaine has to play in centre and King hasn't had a sniff of first team action yet so very risky chucking him straight in if we want to be a stronger team not a weaker one overall.

I think completely the opposite to you, I don't think we have any cover in this area that doesn't make us weaker elsewhere anyway. Same with right back. We need a strong squad to get through this season and a few experienced heads in there will make a big difference.

Funny now quickly some people can change their minds. During pre season nearly everyone was convinced full backs were our strongest position with Cunningham and Moloney being talked about as the best full backs in League One, now after a couple of shaky displays in a much changed team some people seem to think we need both of them out of the door.

Nickey's been on trial at Millwall and somewhere else already this season. on one hand, we've been waiting for a 'marquee' signing as erm we tend to get for some bizarre unknown reason. On the other hand we have a LB unless he's off so erm, oddities all around

Have we been waiting for a marquee signing? You might have been but haven't seen too much demand for a big name signing on here, if anything it's been the opposite of people wanting to sign kids with potential and giving them a chance? Not sure Shorey would fit that 'marquee' bill anyway?

Nickey's been on trial at Millwall and somewhere else already this season. on one hand, we've been waiting for a 'marquee' signing as erm we tend to get for some bizarre unknown reason. On the other hand we have a LB unless he's off so erm, oddities all around

Early indications seem to suggest that the defence is as bad as it was last season. Everyone has been concentrating on the centre partnership and specifically Fontaine.

Maybe SOD is of the view that it isn't just Fontaine who is at fault and that Cunningham and Moloney, who have after all been ever presents during 2013, are also culpable.

Have either really impressed or even looked comfortable of late? Look at the amount of goals we seem to concede from wide positions ie Coventry game.

SOD has effectively "dropped" Moloney once in his career already at Forest. When asked why he said something like "because I was given the money to sign someone better". Maybe the same will happen with O'Connor (if rumour is true)?

I can't believe anyone is going to make us an acceptable offer for Cunningham given his form of late. He hasn't been the same since that injury sustained at Posh. BUT he is still young and can come back to be a real asset for us. He could probably learn a lot of the much experienced Shorey.

It doesn't make perfect sense, but I can see the logic. And no-one can deny that defence is still not looking tight...

Archived