IGNORED

Nicky Shorey

Evander SnowyField

Why, if he was a semi regular in the prem last season are champ clubs not ahead of us?

Big wages surely?

Great player to have but a budget buster for a position we have cover for? Unless Cunningham's heading out of course.

Why big wages? He hasn't got a club, so nothing to negotiate with plus he's old. If he wants to play footy he can't be too fussy otherwise he'll have to carry on looking. Plus why hasn't a Champ club signed him already? I don't think it'll be a problem if we want him

Just to throw something out there, Cyrille Regis was in the platinum seating against Bradford City. Done a bit of research and he is now a football agent for the Stellar Group, and looking down the list of clients on their website the only player on show was Greg Cunningham. Not reading anything into it but perhaps there has been interest in Greg?

Just to throw something out there, Cyrille Regis was in the platinum seating against Bradford City. Done a bit of research and he is now a football agent for the Stellar Group, and looking down the list of clients on their website the only player on show was Greg Cunningham. Not reading anything into it but perhaps there has been interest in Greg?

Interesting bit of research there squire.

I like the idea of James O'Connor as well as Shorey and some big Spanish Goalie as competition for places. its long overdue we had very decent players at the back. If we can keep the door shut we might start winning games. The front line are doing their bit, the midfield looks better than it has done for a while with Wynter and Pack as new additions. I think its all coming together nicely and Sean always said it would take time to gel. Well, that was an understatement; by the time he has finished we will have a completely new team save for Baldock and a couple of others from last season.

Well, forgot that one clearly! Oops! okay 4 out of 5 then.. he has signed players in positions as first choice was my point, and still the defence is rubbish as a response to KITR

Thanks for clarifying that as I couldn't make head nor tail of your first response.

Think you'll find Williams wasn't signed as first choice though...

Maybe we are reading to much into this. If a good player like Shorey becomes available then it might be worth having a look at him. It might not mean we are desperately searching for a LB. especially as RB is less well covered. However if we could do a deal (for either or both full back rumours) then it would be worth doing as long as it doesn't impead on our ability to bring in one maybe two forwards.

Don't expect either Cunningham or Shorey would be happy as 'back-up' in league 1 which naturally raises questions re Cunninghams future. Unless, as others have mentioned, SOD would look to play GC or NS in a more attacking role.

The thing is Cunningham is a young lad who's had just two seasons playing regular professional football Championship, one on loan and one for a club that was ultimately relegated. He's a talented lad who I think can go a long way but I'm not sure he'd feel he'd done enough yet to think himself too good to be competing for a place in a League One team against an experienced former England international.

If SOD handles this right, I'm sure he could convince Cunningham that, aside from the competition for a place, Shorey is someone he could learn a great deal wrong and that it could be a beneficial experience for him in terms of developing for the future. Obviously no young footballer wants to rot in the reserves but, at the same time, it might benefit an older defender not to be expected to play in every game. Cunningham has struggled at the start of this season and, on at least one occasion against Coventry, played when he's clearly not been well enough to do so, which I presume was due to a lack of convincing alternative options.

I don't see any reason why a one-year contract for Shorey couldn't benefit both us and both left-backs.

I can see sod going with 5 at the back.

...........................fielding..............................

Moloney...flint......Williams...Shorey...Cunningham

.............................wynter................................

.............wagstaff.................pack.....................

...............................JET................................

............................baldock..............................

Subs: o'connor, killa, Fontaine, Reid, burns, Bryan, Parrish.

I can see sod going with 5 at the back.

...........................fielding..............................

Moloney...flint......Williams...Shorey...Cunningham

.............................wynter................................

.............wagstaff.................pack.....................

...............................JET................................

............................baldock..............................

Subs: o'connor, killa, Fontaine, Reid, burns, Bryan, Parrish.

That is a hideous bench, 4 defensive minded players?, no striker?

I forget harewood. Don't see why Shorey can't play inside Cunningham. He can help distribution out of defence on that left side. Flint and Williams are there to win headers.

Your looking for attacking players on the bench, barring Reid, we have none that can jump straight in. Sorry to burst your bubble. Take out burns for harewood and in all honesty, it's a good team.

Never mind the bench, Shorey as a 3rd centre half? has he ever played anywhere other than LB?

I think someone said he had played in the middle before? For Villa for a bit?

Don't see why he couldn't move inside, he's a solid defender who had great distribution and next to flint we don't need to have a huge player.

It's all guesswork tbh. I don't remember much about Shorey other than he was a bloody good free kick and corner taker.

I think someone said he had played in the middle before? For Villa for a bit?

Don't see why he couldn't move inside, he's a solid defender who had great distribution and next to flint we don't need to have a huge player.

It's all guesswork tbh. I don't remember much about Shorey other than he was a bloody good free kick and corner taker.

The last thing i remember about him was watching him get turned inside out against Danny Haynes at AG for West Brom. Although tbf Haynes did seem unplayable that day.

think that would be a good signing, hes a decent player even if he is getting on a bit, brilliant at set pieces. and i think if he does sign then GC will be pushed further up the pitch as he does love running at players and getting crosses in, think SOD is building a good squad now, hopefully we can start kicking on in the league starting with 3 points at MK.

Archived