IGNORED

Bobby Reid

reddogkev

Very pleased to see Bobby Reid playing his first game of the season, and from reading the reports and catching some of the commentary on the radio, sounds like he had a decent match against a competitive team, and created a couple of chances (well-timed delivery to Flint etc).

Nice to see, and for me personally, I take as much pleasure in seeing Reid in the team as I would a victory.

Even better to see Reid and Bryan in the same midfield - does make you wonder, could the academy actually be working?

Question for those who watched the game, what was your impression of his performance?

Now let's hope he can continue to remain in and around the first team; his youth, tenacity and creativity could be spectacular in this division.

He's done himself all the good. Got an assist, Sounded like a shaky start but he got into the game as it went on. I'm still not 100% sure on Wagstaff. Seems to be very quiet when he plays. For the palace game I would keep the Same XI but swapping Pack for waggy

I would much rather have started with Pack or Wynter. Reid did ok, but he is physically not upto it in men's football IMO. Shame, because he certainly has some talent, but Bryan has a much better future ahead of him than Reid IMO.

Bryan would be my first name in any midfield four, hard working, effective and creative. Reid I like to, though I take the points about size and physical presence, as a passer a much better bet than Killa though. Share the concerns about Wagstaff and Wynter looked unusually shaky when he came on today too. In other areas I thought the full-backs were vulnerable and Fielding and Baldock were excellent

I was pleased with him today. Some great touches and didn't look out of place. Yes he's a little lightweight but he has ability. Just because he's not quite there yet physically doesn't mean he won't be in the future.

Even so, why does he have to be physical!? Joe Bryan isn't physical and he really looked the part as well today.

In fact MK Dons didn't have one physical player today and they always do well in this league.

Anyway back to Reid. It was encouraging to see him given a chance, especially with the amount of CM's we have. He couldn't have done a lot more. He pressed well, was very busy and made Baldocks first goal. He will only get better. Encouraging start for sure.

OK, but too lightweight, and gave the ball away too often. Early days, some promising signs, but I fear that without more muscle in midfield, he will just get brushed aside and not achieve full potential. Bryan looks good, battles well and can deliver a good cross.

I would much rather have started with Pack or Wynter. Reid did ok, but he is physically not upto it in men's football IMO. Shame, because he certainly has some talent, but Bryan has a much better future ahead of him than Reid IMO.

I wish I could ban the phrase "physically not up to it"

Not a dig at you, BS3, just think it perfectly surmises all that is wrong with British football.

I wish I could ban the phrase "physically not up to it"

Not a dig at you, BS3, just think it perfectly surmises all that is wrong with British football.

I know what you mean but in reids case, I do believe it is his undoing. I'm not talking height issue here. He's no maradona/messi type small but strong, low centre of gravity.

He is simply childlike and looks like our junior reds mascot has wandered out onto the pitch!

As I say, he certainly has talent but I don't think he is going to ever get over the size issue and be regularly affective.

I DO HOPE HE PROVES ME WRONG!

OK, but too lightweight, and gave the ball away too often. Early days, some promising signs, but I fear that without more muscle in midfield, he will just get brushed aside and not achieve full potential. Bryan looks good, battles well and can deliver a good cross.

Says the person who has banged on for years about us not giving Academy lads a chance....

On reflection I'd be willing to bet he played yesterday specifically because of the sort of side MK are, though.

I know what you mean but in reids case, I do believe it is his undoing. I'm not talking height issue here. He's no maradona/messi type small but strong, low centre of gravity.

He is simply childlike and looks like our junior reds mascot has wandered out onto the pitch!

As I say, he certainly has talent but I don't think he is going to ever get over the size issue and be regularly affective.

I DO HOPE HE PROVES ME WRONG!

From my humble perspective and watching from the stands, i noted the following

Great surface, poor atmosphere, great facilities, helpful stewards, ample parking.

As for the game and bobby, as i said during the match thread, watering the pitch on what was a rainy day both before the game and at half time made clear for me the intentions of the home team.

Get the ball under control as quickly as possible ( first touch)

Then ensure that if at all possible you move the ball along the ground, not in the air and with pace and zip.

They also played with width as others have mentioned, again possession football is easier if you have natural width imo, and we do look narrow in midfield.

They were neither a big or physical team., so instantly i do not agree with the concern over bobby's size.

In yesterday's game, that was not a factor, though i do agree that it will be a consideration in other situations and games.

Chadwick was the best player on the pitch for say 65 mins, but as ever these days he inevitably tires.

We gave him in particular too much space.

Bobby was our most comfortable looking player, and baldock easily our biggest threat.

They were sloppy for both of the goals we scored.

However they have a philosophy, while we are focused too much on formation imo. and there is a difference and it was obvious to see at times yesterday.

We have far too many players who are not comfortable on the ball, but bobby is not one of them

For me it was a cautious move to sub him for wynter and i think sod was settling for the draw or maybe was concerned about bobby's legs, he did play 90 mins in midweek versus brentford.

Must be the 1980s again or is this a ladies convo I've just walked in on? Does size matter....it's what you do with it that counts.

It doesn't matter how big a player is, it's about how sharp and technically gifted they are in a team that play football on the deck!

All Reid needs to do is sharpen up his awareness but that comes with games! Also as he matures in to a man he'll become a leader not physically but mentally.

The most technically gifted player to come out of our youth set up in my opinion

Thoughts on midfield of

JET - pack - Reid - wynter - Bryan?

Think jet is most effective 1 on 1 with the full back, cutting in on his left foot. To lazy to play support striker. Pack offers deep lying midfield cover, with wynter Breaking up play, mean Reid can push on to support baldock.

Or does Reid not suit playing further up?

Thoughts on midfield of

JET - pack - Reid - wynter - Bryan?

Think jet is most effective 1 on 1 with the full back, cutting in on his left foot. To lazy to play support striker. Pack offers deep lying midfield cover, with wynter Breaking up play, mean Reid can push on to support baldock.

Or does Reid not suit playing further up?

Too lazy to play a position he's scored 4? Times and set up most of our other goals?

Cracking banter.

Did you go to cov and wolves games? Then you'd of seen he moved out to wide right which is where he scored twice and made most of.out changes. 0 goals him up front. 4 goals him out wide.

V gills he set up the first coming in from wide left. Not playing a through ball from in the hole.

CRACKING BANTER.

Did you go to cov and wolves games? Then you'd of seen he moved out to wide right which is where he scored twice and made most of.out changes. 0 goals him up front. 4 goals him out wide.

V gills he set up the first coming in from wide left. Not playing a through ball from in the hole.

CRACKING BANTER.

Really struggling to grasp the notion of a free role aren't you?

Really struggling to grasp the notion of a free role aren't you?

Ha well said & this is the exact same debate i had with a mate of mine last week who, tbh i expected to know better. JET has done most of his damage when coming in from wide positions but if he was to start there as opposed to his current 'free role' behind the striker, he wouldnt be half as effective for all the obvious reasons.

Apologies Ancelloti and Mouriniho, but Did either of you a actually watch the cov or wolves game?! He got moved to wide right after it didnt work off baldock. I'd love it if we could play him in a free role, but the problem is - and the reason he wasn't effective there - is the players around him.

To play a free role you look for pockets of space, but wags, and Bryan are to orthodox to switch position and helping him find the space, and baldock is better running the channels or off te last man. where as if you put him wide the opposition have immediatly got to double up, either with the winger or some one from centre back or centre mid. That leaves space for others to work in, and means he can just run at people all day without being caught in traffic.

Didnt go to Bradford or dons, but having seen 5 goals in 90 mins with him there, vs 0 goals in 90 with him not, I'm backing the stats.

Apologies Ancelloti and Mouriniho, but Did either of you a actually watch the cov or wolves game?! He got moved to wide right after it didnt work off baldock. I'd love it if we could play him in a free role, but the problem is - and the reason he wasn't effective there - is the players around him.

To play a free role you look for pockets of space, but wags, and Bryan are to orthodox to switch position and helping him find the space, and baldock is better running the channels or off te last man. where as if you put him wide the opposition have immediatly got to double up, either with the winger or some one from centre back or centre mid. That leaves space for others to work in, and means he can just run at people all day without being caught in traffic.

Didnt go to Bradford or dons, but having seen 5 goals in 90 mins with him there, vs 0 goals in 90 with him not, I'm backing the stats.

Yes, I was at the wolves game and Jet absolutely 100% did not play on the bleeding wing.

The argument after that game was whether he played up front or in the hole.

But, you carry on seeing whatever it is you see.

Archived