IGNORED

Derby Day Insight

Evander SnowyField

I shall be quite glad when all this cup nonsense is over. Win, lose or penalties tomorrow, we've got bigger fish to fry than the 4th division visitors this week. Let's see, there's Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Crawley, Swindon...that's our bread and butter, folks. Not the plucky minnows we have been asked to host tomorrow evening

I don't want to sound elitist but I'm not sure I could name more than one or two rovers players, could anyone shed any light on any potential danger men (don't laugh)?

Any likely tactics?

Areas we should be worried about being weak in against their likely line up?

I'm finding adjusting to league one players hard enough, I have no idea about who's who in League Two!

Alan Warbuoys & Bruce Bannister

Score more than us

The catering at AG is carp but it won't stop Clarkson having a feed on the pies.

All I need to know is they have nothing to lose and naturally are playing down their own chances.

They state things like: ''you have the bigger wage bill'', ''you get bigger attendances'', ''you're a division higher'' which is all very true. Because they are, in every tangible way, inferior to us does not qualify them to be automatically ahead in the non-tangibles such as heart and spirit. They somehow think it does. They are the special ones, according to them (an us, but that's in a different context).

That and the fact we had some change in legal technicalities back in 1982.

Oh and they wittily rhyme City with shitty and shorten it to fit because it doesn't really work otherwise. Brilliant.

That's my derby insight.

Well, thanks to Snowy for an excellent post. I know I haven't been much help, and, to be plain, despite some of your best efforts, I'm still none-the-wiser. No doubt, tomorrow evening, we'll find out for ourselves. I would imagine they will be the usual motley collection of plasterers, bricklayers, hod carriers, and perhaps, in keeping with the times, a call centre worker or two. Maybe even one with an educated background, no doubt nicknamed 'egghead' or 'homo' or something terribly amusing like that. For sure, the press will have their angle, whatever the result. I shouldn't be surprised to see Tony Gubba arrive with his bag of David and Gomorrah cup-upset cliches. Although, seeing as he is no longer with us...anyway, we will have to be at our best to see off these plucky part-timers, if we wish to avoid an embarrassing upset.

Whatever the score, I hope to see that knot of decent fans around the tunnel applauding the visitors at the end, as they always used to do against cup hopefuls from the lower leagues

Not forgetting, of course, a milkman. Silly me, how could I leave that one out. This lot always turn up with a milkman, used to be two. And in the directors' box, too. Always used to whistle, he did. Never liked evening games, said he had to be up early the following morning. Rovers, eh? Takes all sorts...

Archived