IGNORED

'deal Struck' Over Ashton Vale

SJC

Who is this fella?

That's him. He's a bit like red trousers, if it doesn't interest him, if it doesn't involve his business or involves money in his pocket, he will object.

He's very contradictory and will never admit it. Say one thing and it meant something else months/years later.

MM

I don't think it is about green or any colour. "They" do not want a football club stadium anywhere near where they live. Plain and simple. No other agenda. They just use the "greens" point of view to try and strengthen their argument. And with so much hype in this country about green issues many moderate people are too scared to voice their true feelings that this green thing is basically a load of toss and just a way to tax us more. This is how these ludicrous ideas grow at alarming rates, and people who say they don't agree with it get branded as "flat earthers".

Sickening.

It's not just about being Green. It's pure class hatred, as well. They see football, not unreasonably, as a sport enjoyed by working class men. What is unreasonable is that these middle class tossers hate and despise such people.

I'm unashamedly middle class (I say 'unashamedly', but i actually think such class denominations are incredibly damaging in an age when factory workers have satellite dishes on the outside of their houses) and while I may be a tosser, I most certainly don't hate and despise the working classes

I'm unashamedly middle class (I say 'unashamedly', but i actually think such class denominations are incredibly damaging in an age when factory workers have satellite dishes on the outside of their houses) and while I may be a tosser, I most certainly don't hate and despise the working classes

Well the working class can kiss my arse because I am retired now!! My average working week was more than 65 hours a week and I kept going for nearly 40 years. I have earned my middle class status by working like a dog! Anyone who has an issue with that can go and swivel as far as I am concerned!!

By the provision of 1000 car parking places, reopening of a train station and new access roads. The Ag plans have nothing. It will be a congested mess, with fans unable to park, a huge number of residents having an even worse match day experience and knowing our fans, thousands walking out before the end. I am all for City getting better facilities, and I have no personal interest in any scheme just an end result. However I cannot grasp the AV objections, or the village green rubbish, but I do have a lot of sympathy with the local residents of Ashton Gate. As equally I did object to having both a Sainsbury and Tesco in the same location (the first idea for AG redevelopment) . I have yet to see any convincing argument as to why a bog, that became a landfill, is not able to be used for a stadium, and made worse by suggestions that it could not be residential development.

If they're putting more exits in the Dolman, surely the need to leave early will diminish?

unless we're 5 nil down of course!

By the provision of 1000 car parking places, reopening of a train station and new access roads. The Ag plans have nothing. It will be a congested mess, with fans unable to park, a huge number of residents having an even worse match day experience and knowing our fans, thousands walking out before the end. I am all for City getting better facilities, and I have no personal interest in any scheme just an end result. However I cannot grasp the AV objections, or the village green rubbish, but I do have a lot of sympathy with the local residents of Ashton Gate. As equally I did object to having both a Sainsbury and Tesco in the same location (the first idea for AG redevelopment) . I have yet to see any convincing argument as to why a bog, that became a landfill, is not able to be used for a stadium, and made worse by suggestions that it could not be residential development.

To fix the transport problems you need space - and lots of it. Whatever the designers of the re-furbished AG may say - they cannot find more space because there isn't any. Matchday will become more and more difficult for many people - especially old gits like me. I tend to park at least a mile from the ground already.

Think the leaving early is mainly down to poor exit roots out of the Dolman as apose to congestion reasons.

Would there really be 1000 parking spaces at AV, and how much of a nightmare would it be with 1000 cars all trying to leave the same car park at the same time!? That sounds like more of a nightmare to me.

As for public transport, the new train station would be done for AG or AV.

Well the working class can kiss my arse because I am retired now!! My average working week was more than 65 hours a week and I kept going for nearly 40 years. I have earned my middle class status by working like a dog! Anyone who has an issue with that can go and swivel as far as I am concerned!!

If you worked those type of hours you ain't middle class. The middle classes sit on their arses and order the working classes about to generate wealth for them. Unfortunately too many working class people are apathetic or uneducated to do anything about it e.g. Bankers screw the country over and the working classes face huge cuts in all services - health, education etc.

To fix the transport problems you need space - and lots of it. Whatever the designers of the re-furbished AG may say - they cannot find more space because there isn't any. Matchday will become more and more difficult for many people - especially old gits like me. I tend to park at least a mile from the ground already.

Lansdown should turn Ashton Vale into a massive multi storey car park and then offer free buses to Ashton Gate for footy and rugby fans, see how the Nimbys like that.

So the NIMBYs get their way. The good news for City is that you have a very credible 'Plan B' (or is that now 'Plan A') with the AG redevelopment which will still give you a decent, expanded and modernised stadium. Not the potential of AV in the longer terms but still your spiritual home and an acceptable (and to many, preferable) alternative to a brand new facility in the short to medium term.

In the next 3 or 4 days we'll see the NIMBY's try and scupper Sainsbury's purchase of the Mem and hence delay or kill the Rovers UWE project. We don't have a Plan B so if that JR proceeds and is successful we're effectively ****ed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the public having the right of appeal and ability to prevent big business bulldozing their way to whatever they want due to their money and resources, but everyone knows that the whole AV TG episode was a total farce, and everyone knows that TRASH is effectively the same group has Horfield ROSE - i.e. the same people complaining about expanding the Mem stadium site are the same people complaining about Sainsburys on the same site. Their solution? Turn the Mem site in allotments FFS!!

As many others have said, Bristol is light years behind other progressive authorities in terms of modernising facilities and amenities - this weeks news shows how a small pressure group have ruined City's chance of a brand new stadium, and the next few days will see another small pressure group attempt to do the same at the Mem when they submit their JR application.

Makes I seethe, it do.

So the NIMBYs get their way. The good news for City is that you have a very credible 'Plan B' (or is that now 'Plan A') with the AG redevelopment which will still give you a decent, expanded and modernised stadium. Not the potential of AV in the longer terms but still your spiritual home and an acceptable (and to many, preferable) alternative to a brand new facility in the short to medium term.

In the next 3 or 4 days we'll see the NIMBY's try and scupper Sainsbury's purchase of the Mem and hence delay or kill the Rovers UWE project. We don't have a Plan B so if that JR proceeds and is successful we're effectively ****ed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the public having the right of appeal and ability to prevent big business bulldozing their way to whatever they want due to their money and resources, but everyone knows that the whole AV TG episode was a total farce, and everyone knows that TRASH is effectively the same group has Horfield ROSE - i.e. the same people complaining about expanding the Mem stadium site are the same people complaining about Sainsburys on the same site. Their solution? Turn the Mem site in allotments FFS!!

As many others have said, Bristol is light years behind other progressive authorities in terms of modernising facilities and amenities - this weeks news shows how a small pressure group have ruined City's chance of a brand new stadium, and the next few days will see another small pressure group attempt to do the same at the Mem when they submit their JR application.

Makes I seethe, it do.

I can understand people objecting to supermarket's, more so in the case of Glos Road compared to North street, but the residents cant have it both ways. Dont want a revamped Men, don't want a Sainsbury.

They should look what happened to Filton. Didn't want a commercial airport, and now don't want housing. Too late.

I accepted that people didn't want Ashton Vale, but the way they went about it wasn't in the spirit of the law, same as TRASH.

Can't they build a carpark on some waste ground behind David Lloyd…

If you worked those type of hours you ain't middle class. The middle classes sit on their arses and order the working classes about to generate wealth for them. Unfortunately too many working class people are apathetic or uneducated to do anything about it e.g. Bankers screw the country over and the working classes face huge cuts in all services - health, education etc.

OK so I may be a bit rough - but I can pass as middle class! Nearly 50 years of supporting City has kept me grounded!

Can't they build a carpark on some waste ground behind David Lloyd…

Actually - that is not a bad idea because there is established use with the park and ride very close. With a bridge over the road the Ashton Gate parking could be sorted and the Nimbys will love to see all those fans on match days...

I'd be up for a mixed (Bristol City & Rovers) demonstration to demonstrate how much sport and football means in Bristol. It would also show those nimbys how many people want change, and that we aren't all thugs. I think it would really make people, red trousers and the council, sit up and listen.

I'd be up for a mixed (Bristol City & Rovers) demonstration to demonstrate how much sport and football means in Bristol. It would also show those nimbys how many people want change, and that we aren't all thugs. I think it would really make people, red trousers and the council, sit up and listen.

Get Bristol rugby involved too

That would be some response to the recent coverage we have received.

Really nice idea - not sure if it would get off the ground, but like the image.

I remember back in the day when Charlton were trying to get back to the valley, they stood some candidates in a number of key wards - with turnout as poor as it is in local elections, pretty sure they won one and influenced some others. Oddly, they managed to get planning permission to return!

That would be some response to the recent coverage we have received.

Really nice idea - not sure if it would get off the ground, but like the image.

I remember back in the day when Charlton were trying to get back to the valley, they stood some candidates in a number of key wards - with turnout as poor as it is in local elections, pretty sure they won one and influenced some others. Oddly, they managed to get planning permission to return!

Indeed, and local Charlton residents with no interest in football supported the campaign out of love of the community. I know, my sister was one of them.

These green campaigners can get very silly. Being green should not be about denying life and leisure to our fellow citizens but in suggesting ways to do things in a more sustainable manner. Solar panels on the huge roof areas of the stands would be a smart move and gain valuable income for the Club - and there will also be more places to park bikes.

I speak as someone who has absolutely stunning green credentials, which would make most of these folks look like chumps. Live and let live is not such a bad way of looking at things...

AV is still the best option from nearly every viewpoint - decent public transport cannot easily be built in to the Ashton Gate refurb but maybe we could be allowed to park amphibious vehicles on the wetland at AV?

I certainly agree with PV (solar) panels on the roof and it was something I provided as feedback for both Ashton vale and Ashton gate consultations. With the FiT and ROC systems (choose one - not both!) It is possible to earn a commercial return on PV panels; just note all the houses and fields that have them now. Furthermore, they will nullify to a degree the complaints from the antis and it helps the sustainability of the construction. In fact, for many projects such systems materially improve the chances of planning as it is including a small power plant within another development and so protects green field sites etc.

Questions:

When / IF the South Bristol ring / relief road is built, will the land inside it still be reclassified as 'urban expansion zone'?

Doesn't that include Ashon Vale and would that be reclassified IF TVG status is gained?

If that is the case, doesn't it make this whole debacle an enormous charade?

Confused, BS30. :dunno:

If the South Bristol ring road is built it is likely that any land between it and the built up area will be taken out of the green belt, the next time the green belt is reviewed.

That won't make any difference to any land that has been classified as village/town green in the meantime.

There is no way Ashton Gate will not get approval, even if the odd tweak to the plans is required. The established use is a sports ground and there have been prior permissions for up to 30,000 capacity. Some people will moan, but it will go through. If UWE goes ahead, you get AG re-built and the cricket club finish off their development, then we will finally have a set of half decent stadia.

If the South Bristol ring road is built it is likely that any land between it and the built up area will be taken out of the green belt, the next time the green belt is reviewed.

That won't make any difference to any land that has been classified as village/town green in the meantime.

There is no way Ashton Gate will not get approval, even if the odd tweak to the plans is required. The established use is a sports ground and there have been prior permissions for up to 30,000 capacity. Some people will moan, but it will go through. If UWE goes ahead, you get AG re-built and the cricket club finish off their development, then we will finally have a set of half decent stadia.

Thanks weeble.

On another post, even though they did everything to stop our stadium at AV, I think the united sport demo is a cracking idea!

Think a demo would be great if we could muster enough people, although I fear it might be too late now!

This farcical situation gas always been huge in the local media, but what it needed was national coverage; make a few people sit up and listen, perhaps pull a few strings. Broken Britain an all that. Put Cameron under some pressure. He was quick to rejoice in the great ness of his own 'enterprise zone' at tm/temple quay, which offers reduced business rates and encourages a spark growth...does he actually know what happened at AV? I doubt it.

A demo would achieve two things:

Place our plight firmly on the national conscience

Send a signal to lansdown that we don't want him to throw in the towel.

I certainly agree with PV (solar) panels on the roof and it was something I provided as feedback for both Ashton vale and Ashton gate consultations. With the FiT and ROC systems (choose one - not both!) It is possible to earn a commercial return on PV panels; just note all the houses and fields that have them now. Furthermore, they will nullify to a degree the complaints from the antis and it helps the sustainability of the construction. In fact, for many projects such systems materially improve the chances of planning as it is including a small power plant within another development and so protects green field sites etc.

There is an office block down here in Portishead which has never opened but they are gaining an income from it through the solar panels on it's roof. I think it would be shocking in this modern age to build a structure of this size that didn't incorporate the latest solar, wind, water or even underground heat exchangers. It would make huge running cost savings and I am sure it would generate advertising revenue etc even if it isn't possible to sell the excess back to the grid.

This should be becoming common place in the same way that hybrid and electric vehicles are starting to.

There is an office block down here in Portishead which has never opened but they are gaining an income from it through the solar panels on it's roof. I think it would be shocking in this modern age to build a structure of this size that didn't incorporate the latest solar, wind, water or even underground heat exchangers. It would make huge running cost savings and I am sure it would generate advertising revenue etc even if it isn't possible to sell the excess back to the grid.

This should be becoming common place in the same way that hybrid and electric vehicles are starting to.

Speaking as someone who has in excess of 90 solar panels and runs heating based upon ground source and air sourced heat pumps (amongst many other green measures) I can confirm that it is sensible and profitable. It pays for all the running costs of our property including council tax, heating and insurance policies. It even pays for the seeds and other plants for our self sufficiency project. It should be a "no brainer" for City to include such measures in a new stadium.

Sounds good fb, but what was the initial outlay on all those panels, pumps and such?

When do you expect to break even?

You can't use the excess for such luxuries such as council tax and insurance or food if you have a whooping £50k loan to pay off can you, otherwise we'd all be doing it wouldn't we?

Sounds good fb, but what was the initial outlay on all those panels, pumps and such?

When do you expect to break even?

You can't use the excess for such luxuries such as council tax and insurance or food if you have a whooping £50k loan to pay off can you, otherwise we'd all be doing it wouldn't we?

Break even would depend upon inflation - but I reckon 8 to 9 years. Bear in mind that the income is RPI linked and tax free - so you would have to work out how much you would need to earn before tax to make a fair comparison. The kit has come down in price since I bought mine. As a former Chartered Financial Planner I have gone in to the sums carefully before deciding that it was a "goer".

Archived