IGNORED

Rovers Ground Jr Lodged

Super

It's actually pretty sad tbh, both teams could have had a massive boost from the new stadiums and it looks likely that neither will happen, we are lucky to have steve landsdown so we are able to redevelop the gate to give us first class facilities. Wonder if rovers could perhaps look at building a couple of new stands to give them a 15-18k capacity? A new stand done on the cheap is only between 2-4 million looking at what other clubs have done.

I'm suprised the sainsburys got the go ahead as they already have a massive tesco's in the area as it is, its different to ours as ours was a store relocation,

etherway I'm disapointed but also happy because of all the gloating they have done about our situation what goes aroound

For my sins i grew up 5 mins from the Mem and know the area very well. I would agree, there was never really a strong case for another supermarket there and the roads around there are already busy, can't see a Sainsbury's adding anything positive.

• Admin

When I first came to Bristol 40 years ago there was no good stadium or concert hall. Education and public transport were a joke. From my POV none of these things have improved due to successive incompetent councils.

If Brunel were to turn up in Bristol now and offer to do all the fanatstic things he did do he would doubtless have been run out of town.

Would like to think things will change but unforunately i don't. Nobody seems to have the will to make things happen, including a strangely docile and indifferent electorate.

And nothing likely to change, as too many people either don't vote or just vote along traditional lines without actually reading manifesto's or giving a thought to voting for other than the party that they and their forefathers have voted for. I can understand those who don't vote, if you live in one of the stronghold, diehard labour or tory area's and don't vote that way, it feels like a waste of time visiting the polling station.

Hung/divided councils have never had the balls to actually come away from the party line and support anothers point of view to the point of pushing things through, apart from traffic lights and traffic 'improvements'...... If only I'd have had the foresight to become a traffic light salesman when I left school, I'd be retired by now, with a big fat bank account, on Bristol Councils orders alone.

It's actually pretty sad tbh, both teams could have had a massive boost from the new stadiums and it looks likely that neither will happen, we are lucky to have steve landsdown so we are able to redevelop the gate to give us first class facilities. Wonder if rovers could perhaps look at building a couple of new stands to give them a 15-18k capacity? A new stand done on the cheap is only between 2-4 million looking at what other clubs have done.

they can't afford it, UWE was funding 50% of the project and sainsburys money funded the rest with out the sainsburys money nopthing will happen as they can't afford it, their board do not have deep pockets like our owner

And nothing likely to change, as too many people either don't vote or just vote along traditional lines without actually reading manifesto's or giving a thought to voting for other than the party that they and their forefathers have voted for. I can understand those who don't vote, if you live in one of the stronghold, diehard labour or tory area's and don't vote that way, it feels like a waste of time visiting the polling station.

Hung/divided councils have never had the balls to actually come away from the party line and support anothers point of view to the point of pushing things through, apart from traffic lights and traffic 'improvements'...... If only I'd have had the foresight to become a traffic light salesman when I left school, I'd be retired by now, with a big fat bank account, on Bristol Councils orders alone.

the council have never been are are not the problem they approved and granted planning permission its minority groups led by nimbys that are the problem

they can't afford it, UWE was funding 50% of the project and sainsburys money funded the rest with out the sainsburys money nopthing will happen as they can't afford it, their board do not have deep pockets like our owner

I read somewhere higgs is worth about a quarter of a billion? surely he could spare a few to build them a couple of decent stands and facilities being the 'fan' that he is!

• Admin

the council have never been are are not the problem they approved and granted planning permission its minority groups led by nimbys that are the problem

The council have been accused of mistakes that allowed the minorities to persue their objections, are all of these mistakes genuine, or could they be engineered to aid those who wish to obstruct development.

With all due respect to our BRFC neighbours, I think they should count themselves very fortunate to have got their hands on the rugby ground at a knock-down price in the first place.

Flogging it off, messing up the area and waltzing off to South Glos to a new stadium would have been taking the michael somewhat.

Also a huge sainsburys at the end of Filton Avenue. There isn't actually a need for massive supermarkets on every corner and I can see why people don't want it in their neighbourhood.

Don't forget Tescos at Eastville and Golden Hill both within a short distance of the Mem and Glocester Road. Hardly a surprise that some traders in the area would feel threatened by another big supermarket on the doorstep.

I suspect a lot of Gasheads expected this but maybe not the ones who have been gloating over the troubles we've had with AV and their hilarious and smug 'lets take the dog for a walk' jibes.

Would have been a good idea for Rovers fans to support our initial application rather than start petitions and have links on their forum that were directing people to online petitions against selling Ashton Gate to Sainsbury's.

They'll deny it of course but I can't help thinking that their petty mindedness at that time will mean plenty of City fans have little or no sympathy towards their current plight.

FWIW I'd like to see both clubs get new stadiums, but as I've said many many times, I'll believe it's happening when I'm sat in it.

Just what I was thinking.

A shame that the minority hold this city back, again.

As you say if the gas had a bit of forethought and not been so bitter towards our plans actively encouraging people to sign petition etc against AV I may feel more understanding of their now predicament, but hey what goes around come around, tough titty for them now.

Don't forget Tescos at Eastville and Golden Hill both within a short distance of the Mem and Glocester Road. Hardly a surprise that some traders in the area would feel threatened by another big supermarket on the doorstep.

I suspect a lot of Gasheads expected this but maybe not the ones who have been gloating over the troubles we've had with AV and their hilarious and smug 'lets take the dog for a walk' jibes.

I honestly don't understand that argument. If you're talking about a short distance from the Mem to Tesco Golden Hill and Tesco Eastgate, then you must mean by car. If you're going to drive to a supermarket then it doesn't matter if there are one, three or seventeen of them. They'll compete with each other, while those who prefer the smaller shops will continue to use them.

Yes, the first supermarket in an area has a major effect on independent traders. After that, the effect of an extra one is minimal. What will really hit local traders is Mr Red Trousers' beloved RPZ, which will devastate the Gloucester Road, but mysteriously leaves out the area around the Tobacco Factory.

Understand where you're coming from but respectfully disagree - the blame, IMO, stands fully with an apathetic electrorate and the very poor representatives they elect. Am sure that there are nimbys and minorities everywhere, but it didn't seem to stop Cardiff transforming itself, or Birmingham or many other places. Why Bristol?

I honestly don't understand that argument. If you're talking about a short distance from the Mem to Tesco Golden Hill and Tesco Eastgate, then you must mean by car. If you're going to drive to a supermarket then it doesn't matter if there are one, three or seventeen of them. They'll compete with each other, while those who prefer the smaller shops will continue to use them.

In my experience Supermarkets charge less than local shops and often the things you buy are much 'fresher'. I live near a Spar and a Premier Store and I use both because its easier than driving to the closest supermarket however if their was a Supermarket in the local area I would use it for everything, even just a loaf of bread, because its cheaper and the quality is miles better.

I don't know what shops there are at that end of Glos Rd because I haven't been up there for ages but I imagine anyone selling food will not relish having to compete with a Supermarket in the area. I don't know why you don't understand that argument.

The reason I mention Tescos at Eastville and Golden Hill is because I expect that local traders will say that there is no need for another Supermarket in the area. Henleaze-Horfield-Eastville are not that far apart.

In my experience Supermarkets charge less than local shops and often the things you buy are much 'fresher'. I live near a Spar and a Premier Store and I use both because its easier than driving to the closest supermarket however if their was a Supermarket in the local area I would use it for everything, even just a loaf of bread, because its cheaper and the quality is miles better.

I don't know what shops there are at that end of Glos Rd because I haven't been up there for ages but I imagine anyone selling food will not relish having to compete with a Supermarket in the area. I don't know why you don't understand that argument.

The reason I mention Tescos at Eastville and Golden Hill is because I expect that local traders will say that there is no need for another Supermarket in the area. Henleaze-Horfield-Eastville are not that far apart.

I do understand that argument. What you don't seem to grasp that it doesn't matter whether there are two or seventeen supermarkets. As long as there's even one, people who like supermarkets will use that in preference to local shops, as you do. In fact, local traders compete very effectively here with local supermarkets on quality, not on price.

I will always get fresh bread from Joe's Bakery, fresh fruit and veg from Pawson's, etc. when I can shop during the day. After hours, the supermarket is the only option. Lots of people do the same, which is why Scoopaway succeeds almost next door to the Co-op, Joe's Bakery across the road from Sainsburys, and so forth. One more supermarket half a mile away will make no difference to that.

What will kill them stone dead are the RPZ's. The one thing that supermarkets can offer that local shops can't compete with is free parking. Mr Red Trousers is planning to increase that advantage ten-fold.

True but i would suggest 90% of supernarket shoppers drive as you dont generally pop into a big supermarket for bread and milk. Therefore another just down the road in car terms must surely be taken into consideration when deciding on the need for another.

I do. I often walk across the Common to Tesco Golden Hill. But then I don't drive and still have use of my legs.

It's not really a question of need. What the supermarkets find that their custom is dropping off, they'll pull their horns in, as is beginning to happen with Tesco Metro.

Understand where you're coming from but respectfully disagree - the blame, IMO, stands fully with an apathetic electrorate and the very poor representatives they elect. Am sure that there are nimbys and minorities everywhere, but it didn't seem to stop Cardiff transforming itself, or Birmingham or many other places. Why Bristol?

because Bristol has had a hung council for 15 years no party has been in overall control, thats not the councils fault thats the voters fault and the influx of nimbys and others from london

Archived